How to get published in undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_otto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am posting a thread that has already been posted, then I apologize. But the threads I seen were posted quite some time ago. But I am curious to know the best way to get published in my undergrad. I know it's going to require research, but I am more curious as to how an undergrad has opportunities to actually do research. I am going to a university that is part of the University of Wisconsin system, and I know that research is huge in getting accepted into med school, but I also know that grades, community service, diversity, and many other things can significantly contribute to getting accepted, but I feel th

Members don't see this ad.

This is definitely posted in the wrong place, but regardless, I went to UW and was published multiple times during undergrad. Feel free to PM me.

For me it was a little bit of luck- I knew someone in the neurology department at the big name hospital near my school. She sent out an email saying I was an undergrad looking to shadow some physicians over the summer. One of the physicians normally takes on an MSI every summer, but he took me too, so I got to shadow 50% and do research 50% and it turned into a paper. The research I did was basically a retrospective clinical study, meaning the data collection/analysis was quick, making it possible to do in one summer. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I was published. I did micro work and a thesis on that work for my college. I helped write the manuscript to the best of my ability and was listed as a first author on it. I think it depends on how cool your PI is and how much they want to help you. My PI was a wonderful lady and really was trying to help us out in professional school admissions.

Reactions: 1 user