How to get to JFK from grand central station

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Once i'm in grand central station, how can i get to jfk airport by subway? is there a direct route or would i have to catch a cab to one of the terminals once i'm near? how long's the ride and cost?

is there a place w/ traveling instructions to ny schools? many of the instructions on the visitors info pages of the campuses are difficult to understand.

i.e. from grand central to columbia, einstein, nyu, nymc, rochester, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

Columbia is a 20 minute subway ride, get on the 1 train, off at 116th.

NYU is the same, but go downtown to wherever you need to go, possibly 6 train. NYMC is in Westchester, but there are Metro-North trains that will take you thereabouts. Rochester? Not from Grand Central ya don't.

Sincerely,
Sham "shamthis" This
Resident New Yorker

Originally posted by shamthis
Columbia is a 20 minute subway ride, get on the 1 train, off at 116th.

NYU is the same, but go downtown to wherever you need to go, possibly 6 train. NYMC is in Westchester, but there are Metro-North trains that will take you thereabouts. Rochester? Not from Grand Central ya don't.

Sincerely,
Sham "shamthis" This
Resident New Yorker

cool. what about grand central to jfk airport?

Members don't see this ad :)
Uhh dunno, but there are direct lines from Grand Central. I've only been a New Yorker since June. My first out-of-city interview will be my first GC-JFK experience too. I am sure you can find the information you seek online...www.mta.com.

resident sham

Originally posted by Yogi Bear
Once i'm in grand central station, how can i get to jfk airport by subway? is there a direct route or would i have to catch a cab to one of the terminals once i'm near? how long's the ride and cost?

is there a place w/ traveling instructions to ny schools? many of the instructions on the visitors info pages of the campuses are difficult to understand.

i.e. from grand central to columbia, einstein, nyu, nymc, rochester, etc.?

Taking advice from a person who's been a New Yorker for about two months? That's your first mistake. :) Got a bridge I can sell you, wanna buy it? :)

From Grand Central Terminal (GCT) to JFK International Airport? There are several ways by public transportation, but if you go that route you'll need about an extra hour or two, depending on traffic. I'd just hail a cab at the taxi stand outside Grand Central on the corner of 42nd Street and Vanderbilt Avenue. Fastest way is by taxi.

To Columbia University (as in Columbia College, the Law School, the Business School, and anything OTHER THAN THE MEDICAL SCHOOL) from GCT you have to take the Shuttle or "S" train toward 42nd Street/Times Square and catch the Uptown Nos. 1 or 9 train and take that to 116th Street. For Columbia College of Physicians & Surgeons/New York-Presbyterian Hospital Columbia Campus, take the Uptown No. 1 to 168th Street/Broadway.

To New York University Medical Center/School of Medicine Medical Center from GCT take the Downtown No. 6 train from GCT to 33rd Street/Lexington Avenue and walk East to 1st Avenue. If you want NYU Washington Square (as in the Business School, the Law School, and the undergraduate colleges) take the Downtown No. 6 train to Astor Place/Cooper Union.

To New York Medical College/Westchester Medical Center you'd take the Metro-North Railroad, stationed at Grand Central Terminal, to the Valhalla Station on the HARLEM line. Hail a cab.

To Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore Medical Center take the Uptown/Bronx No. 5 train from GCT to East 180th Street and then the Morris Park Avenue/Bx 21 bus to Eastchester Road.

To Mount Sinai School of Medicine take the Uptown/Bronx No. 6 train from GCT to East 96th Street/Lexington Avenue and walk West to Madison Avenue. Then walk North to 99th Street/Mount Sinai Hospital.

To State University of New York Downstate Medical Center/College of Medicine take the Shuttle, "S" train, to Times Square/42nd Street to catch the Downtown/Brooklyn No. 2 train to Winthrop Street/Nostrand Avenue. Walk South on Nostrand Avenue to Clarkson Avenue and then walk East on Clarkson to the hospital (at the intersection with New York Avenue).

To New York Institute of Technology/College of Osteopathic Medicine take the "S" train to Times Square/42nd Street to catch the Downtown/Brooklyn "A" or "C" or "E" trains to 34th Street/Pennsylvania Station. From Penn Station take the Oyster Bay line to Greenvale Station. Hail cab to NYIT/Old Westbury. It may be a little difficult to get a cab from Greenvale, so I'd take either the Port Jefferson, Babylon, or Ronkonkoma line to Hicksville Station and take a cab from there. The campus is on Route 25A/Northern Boulevard in Old Westbury, LI, near the Old Brookville campus of Long Island University.

To University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry/Strong Memorial Hospital -- you're in the WRONG town. :)

You have to admit, though, Tim Wu, pretty good for two months. Thanks for clarifying. I don't know why I gave directions to the undergrad campus at Columbia. Are you sure MSSM is on the east side- for some odd reason, I thought it was west siiiiiiiide.

ST ex-resident NYorker

you can take the E to Sutphin Blvd in Queens, then take the bus there that takes you to different terminals.

The best way to get to JFK from Grand Central Station is to take a private bus. It is usually faster than a taxi because it can use the specail bus lanes for the Midtown Tunnel. You get on the bus on Park Avenue, right outside the Station on 42nd Stree. Personally, I would not take the Subway to JFK -- it takes a long time and there are lots of stops.

The bus leaves every 20-30 minutes and costs $13.00. Here's the website:

http://www.nyairportservice.com/

Ed

MSSM is on the East Side. And if I were you I'd get there early as it is a complex of different buildings that somehow connect in this mysterious way.:rolleyes:

What TW said about all those directions are true, just need to add one small caveat... if your interviews are in the morning that puts smack dab in the middle of RUSH HOUR!!! Leave 20 mins early. Also if you are coming into Brooklyn for Downstate, you can take the no.4 train (or no.5 during rush hour only) to Franklin Avenue in Brooklyn and then transfer to the no.2...

Because of 9/11 the 1 and 2 trains run local and the 3 train stops at West 14th street in manhattan. There is also skip stop service once you get into the Bronx. Also be aware of any construction service changes that might effect service for that day.

If you are staying in a hotel then try and tune into "Metro Traffic and Weather or Channel 5 in the morning they are pretty good with letting you know about interruptions and delays.

Before you even get into NYC, download a copy of the subway system and become familiar with it.
MTA NYC TRANSIT LINK There is also Airport info there.

As for getting from GC to JFK well you can take shuttle to Penn Station and then catch the A train to JFK which will connect you to a shuttle bus. ETA=2hrs.

Or take a cab which will run you about $20-$35 depending on traffic maybe more ETA=45mins to 1hr+

Or take the shuttle bus but be on time or you'll be left ETA=30mins to 1hr depending on traffic.

Good Luck and welcome to NYC!!!

-----------
From someone born and raised

One more thing there is a new phenomena called the Metrocard. If you are going to be here for a week and you will be traveling back and forth all over the city, GET ONE!!! Preferrably the $17 unlimited if you travel more than one place in a day. $15 dollar regular if you are going from hotel to interview back to hotel. $4 unlimited if all of your interviews are in one day.($4 are only available at automated machines) DO NOT GET A ONE TRIP PASS!!!!! and DO NOT GET TOKENS. With the metrocard you get free transfers from train to bus, bus to train and from bus to bus. With tokens or single rides nothing is free! And you can lose a token easier. Oh and nothing is on time in this place so disregard train schedules just leave early.

i actually have to disagree with an above poster who encouraged you to take a taxi to jfk...i mean you probably should if you have a ton of luggage. but if you can manage stairs i'd definitely take the subway. you will save....SOO MUCH..money, and depending on the time the subway might even be faster.

from grand central (42nd street on the east side), you can either: 1. walk down 42nd street to eighth avenue and take the A express to Far Rockaway (NOT lefferts). cost: $1.50. OR,

2. take the 4, 5 express down to 14 street, switch to the L and take it to 14th and 8th avenue, and then take the A express to Far Rockaway. cost: $1.50. OR

3. take the 4, 5 express downtown to Broadway/Nassau, and directly switch to the A express to Far Rockaway. cost: $1.50.

The subway stop for JFK is Howard Beach/JFK, and once you get out of the subway station, there's a free shuttle bus that takes you to the airport. an airport person is usually there to tell you which bus you have to take.

Once you're on the A express, you'll get to JFK in about a half hour....i LOVE the A express :)
If the A is for some reason running local in manhattan, (late at night, construction, sometimes on weekends) it will take much longer..like close to 2 hours. BUT, you might be able to get off at broadway junction in brooklyn and easily cross the platform to a Rockaway/JFK express. (this is what i did).

hope this helps

Originally posted by saiyagirl
The subway stop for JFK is Howard Beach/JFK, and once you get out of the subway station, there's a free shuttle bus that takes you to the airport. an airport person is usually there to tell you which bus you have to take.

Once you're on the A express, you'll get to JFK in about a half hour....i LOVE the A express :)
If the A is for some reason running local in manhattan, (late at night, construction, sometimes on weekends) it will take much longer..like close to 2 hours. BUT, you might be able to get off at broadway junction in brooklyn and easily cross the platform to a Rockaway/JFK express. (this is what i did).

hope this helps

Isn't there the M60 bus too? Or something like that...

-RA

The M60 bus runs between Columbia University and LaGuardia airport, which on the north shore (I guess you'd say) of Queens. JFK is on the South Shore. If you're travelling during rush hour, take the 7- it might be closer to access than the S even though they are in the same station, to Times Square and follow the signs to the A-C-E platforms under the Port Authority bus terminal. Get on an A train to either Far Rockaway Mott Ave. or Rockaway Park. Take that to JFK Airport stop and they have free busses to the terminals at JFK.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
can i get some suggestions between EWR and med schools?

Originally posted by pocwana
can i get some suggestions between EWR and med schools?

Can you take the Jersey Transit trains? The PATH trains? (are those the same? no idea...) The PATH trains are dirt cheap though, I've heard.

-RA

Originally posted by Random Access
Can you take the Jersey Transit trains? The PATH trains? (are those the same? no idea...) The PATH trains are dirt cheap though, I've heard.

-RA

First if you are traveling this month give yourself about an hour from airport to hotel to interview. (It's Spetember don't you know) Second, New Jersey is a strange creature, the PATH train doesn't run near EWR, at least not close enough to walk, secondly, NJ Transit has an ever changing schedule and route so don't depend on that either. Basically, get yourself to NYC and then read all of the above posts. Taxis from EWR to NYC will run you a flat $30.

when you get to newark airport, you have to take AIRTRAIN to the NJIT (new jersey transit), and NJIT to PENN STATION. you should see signs for ground transportation and airtrain (if not, just ask anofficial). the entire ride should cost you about $12 and you buy your ticket with cash/credit/debit through a machine before you can get through the turnstile and into the airtrain.

buy your ticket, get in the airtrain going towards the njit newark airport railway station. when you get off (maybe 20 mins?) you have to go through the station and downstairs to the railway platform. this is REALLY easy, don't worry. but you will feel like you're in the middle of nowhere. you are. :) take the njit train going to NYC penn station (eastbound). get in the train, take a seat, and put your airtrain ticket in the slot in front of you. get off at the last stop--penn station. now you're in penn station, at 34th and 8th avenue in manhattan. from here you can take the subway virtually anywhere, i think there are numerous posts about this earlier on this thread....

thanks you guys! :)

so, to get from PENN station to GCT would you suggest taxi? bus? walk?

is this correct?

EWR --> NYMC:

AIRTRAIN: EWR --> NJIT
NJIT --> Penn Station
(?taxi/bus/walk?) Penn Station --> Grand Central
Metro North: GCT --> White Plains
taxi: White Plains --> NYMC

Originally posted by pocwana
so, to get from PENN station to GCT would you suggest taxi? bus? walk?

is this correct?

EWR --> NYMC:

AIRTRAIN: EWR --> NJIT
NJIT --> Penn Station
(?taxi/bus/walk?) Penn Station --> Grand Central
Metro North: GCT --> White Plains
taxi: White Plains --> NYMC

I believe it's mostly correct. You can take the subway from Penn to GCT or taxi. Not sure what would be faster. Also, I think on the Metro North Harlem line, you can get off at Valhalla, I believe. I bumped up the other thread on this.

Taking advice from a person who's been a New Yorker for about two months? That's your first mistake. :) Got a bridge I can sell you, wanna buy it? :)

From Grand Central Terminal (GCT) to JFK International Airport? There are several ways by public transportation, but if you go that route you'll need about an extra hour or two, depending on traffic. I'd just hail a cab at the taxi stand outside Grand Central on the corner of 42nd Street and Vanderbilt Avenue. Fastest way is by taxi.

To Columbia University (as in Columbia College, the Law School, the Business School, and anything OTHER THAN THE MEDICAL SCHOOL) from GCT you have to take the Shuttle or "S" train toward 42nd Street/Times Square and catch the Uptown Nos. 1 or 9 train and take that to 116th Street. For Columbia College of Physicians & Surgeons/New York-Presbyterian Hospital Columbia Campus, take the Uptown No. 1 to 168th Street/Broadway.

To New York University Medical Center/School of Medicine Medical Center from GCT take the Downtown No. 6 train from GCT to 33rd Street/Lexington Avenue and walk East to 1st Avenue. If you want NYU Washington Square (as in the Business School, the Law School, and the undergraduate colleges) take the Downtown No. 6 train to Astor Place/Cooper Union.

To New York Medical College/Westchester Medical Center you'd take the Metro-North Railroad, stationed at Grand Central Terminal, to the Valhalla Station on the HARLEM line. Hail a cab.

To Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore Medical Center take the Uptown/Bronx No. 5 train from GCT to East 180th Street and then the Morris Park Avenue/Bx 21 bus to Eastchester Road.

To Mount Sinai School of Medicine take the Uptown/Bronx No. 6 train from GCT to East 96th Street/Lexington Avenue and walk West to Madison Avenue. Then walk North to 99th Street/Mount Sinai Hospital.

To State University of New York Downstate Medical Center/College of Medicine take the Shuttle, "S" train, to Times Square/42nd Street to catch the Downtown/Brooklyn No. 2 train to Winthrop Street/Nostrand Avenue. Walk South on Nostrand Avenue to Clarkson Avenue and then walk East on Clarkson to the hospital (at the intersection with New York Avenue).

To New York Institute of Technology/College of Osteopathic Medicine take the "S" train to Times Square/42nd Street to catch the Downtown/Brooklyn "A" or "C" or "E" trains to 34th Street/Pennsylvania Station. From Penn Station take the Oyster Bay line to Greenvale Station. Hail cab to NYIT/Old Westbury. It may be a little difficult to get a cab from Greenvale, so I'd take either the Port Jefferson, Babylon, or Ronkonkoma line to Hicksville Station and take a cab from there. The campus is on Route 25A/Northern Boulevard in Old Westbury, LI, near the Old Brookville campus of Long Island University.

To University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry/Strong Memorial Hospital -- you're in the WRONG town. :)

does anyone know if this information is still accurate? It'd be worth the 9 year bump if it was...

gps directions aren't always reliable, hopstop looks promising though.

huh? gps doesn't enter into it. google maps has point-to-point directions for both driving and mass transit in many cities now, NYC included. click on 'get directions,' put in your addresses, click the little train icon and away you go.

agreed that getting to/from JFK takes forever using mass transit. but a cab fare would be steep.

Fml....are you serious man? get with the times, this isnt 2002 anymore.

ah so this is what i would have done before google maps and cheap gps...

With the amount of time you spent searching for this ancient thread you could have easily looked this up on google.

EPIC BUMP FAIL!!!