How to get vet experience while working full time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lavender223

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in going to vet school but I don't even know where to start any more I have had a couple of set backs but for starters, I have a bachelor degree in Lab animal science from NCA&T and I am currently pursuing a master in animal science at NCSU online. After I graduated from undergrad I was able to secure a full time job at Duke University in their animal resource unit taking care of lab animals such as mice, rats, guinea pigs the pay is good since I have bills rent etc... and I am trying to pay some of my student loans down. I do not have very much vet experience but I have volunteer under a large mobile vet a couple times but it wasn't consistence and. I do not have experience in actual vet clinics when I was looking to volunteer most claim it was a liability issue, also must clinics do not stay open long so I would have to volunteer on the weekends. Which can also pose a problem because most don't stay open for long. I don't know else to do but I don't think I ready to just give up just yet. My backup plan was to become a pathologist assistant, but I want to be a veterinarian pathologist if at all possible. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Shelters may be your best bet. They don't usually have the liability issues that private practices do.

Is there a vet overseeing medical care for the lab animals that you are working with? I'm not super familiar with how lab animal medicine works, but that might be someone you would want to get in contact with. You could also ask around to see about shadowing rather than asking to be a volunteer. It's less hands on and exciting, but it puts less pressure and liability on the place you're shadowing at.

Reactions: 1 user
Weekends are fine. Just go consistently. If you go for 5 hours a week, you can get 500 hours in 2 years, which is enough for someone in your position given all the lab animal experience you have.

that is all I had when I applied (actually a little less at application time i believe)... and I had no lab experience like you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many emergency clinics are open 24 hours, or at least stay open later than your traditional private practice.

I would highly recommend volunteering at a shelter. The one I worked at let me learn a lot, including tech skills. There were also special events like spay and neuter clinics that were less of a time commitment.

It also helps convince other practices that you're less of a liability and a friend of mine was able to get more in depth experience at another clinic, because she had assisting experience from the shelter.

Reactions: 1 user
I now work at a vet but I had a full-time job at a human hospital when I decided to change careers and work towards vet school. I was able to volunteer at a vet on Saturday mornings. Turns out they were grateful for the help because it's a busy time for them too. It's slow - accumulating hours that way, but it's the best you can do working full-time in another field. As long as you keep at it, you'll get the hours you need. I think schools just want to see that you are driven and have seen enough that you know what you're getting into. Shelters are also another way to go.

Reactions: 1 users
I am interested in going to vet school but I don't even know where to start any more I have had a couple of set backs but for starters, I have a bachelor degree in Lab animal science from NCA&T and I am currently pursuing a master in animal science at NCSU online. After I graduated from undergrad I was able to secure a full time job at Duke University in their animal resource unit taking care of lab animals such as mice, rats, guinea pigs the pay is good since I have bills rent etc... and I am trying to pay some of my student loans down. I do not have very much vet experience but I have volunteer under a large mobile vet a couple times but it wasn't consistence and. I do not have experience in actual vet clinics when I was looking to volunteer most claim it was a liability issue, also must clinics do not stay open long so I would have to volunteer on the weekends. Which can also pose a problem because most don't stay open for long. I don't know else to do but I don't think I ready to just give up just yet. My backup plan was to become a pathologist assistant, but I want to be a veterinarian pathologist if at all possible. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

What's wrong with weekends? Most clinics that are open at all will stay open at least half a day .... volunteer 50 times/yr for 4 hours = 200 hours in one year. Do that two years and maybe add in one night/week at a shelter and you would be just fine.

I'm not sure what the 'setbacks' are. You have a degree that hopefully took care of all or most of the pre-reqs, you've got a job to pay for life while you build experience ... seems like things are just fine. If it's just that you're impatient over wanting to build hours more quickly ... *shrug* Hours take hours.

Reactions: 1 users