how to handle acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twinklit

UCSF2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have not received any acceptance letters yet, or any interviews for that fact. But I was curious for those who most likely receive multiple acceptance letters, if you know there is 1 school you definately want to go, do you place only that 1 deposit? IS there still a chance that your deposit will be given up because the class has already filled its seats? Or will you do a couple of backup acceptances/deposits, or is it not necessary? Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

yeah i am curious about this too. I remember one of my PI's mentioning that for med school you can accept all the schools and give deposits but by May 15th (or something) you have to make your final decision to still get all your deposits back. is this true for dental school as well? good question.

twinklit said:
I have not received any acceptance letters yet, or any interviews for that fact. But I was curious for those who most likely receive multiple acceptance letters, if you know there is 1 school you definately want to go, do you place only that 1 deposit? IS there still a chance that your deposit will be given up because the class has already filled its seats? Or will you do a couple of backup acceptances/deposits, or is it not necessary? Thanks a bunch!

it just depends. if you know you are looking at several acceptances, then i probably wouldn't put a deposit down at every safety school i got in to.

and i doubt you have to put down a deposit the DAY you are accepted... so i mean... i would give it a week or three and see if you get into that top choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
organichemistry said:
it just depends. if you know you are looking at several acceptances, then i probably wouldn't put a deposit down at every safety school i got in to.

and i doubt you have to put down a deposit the DAY you are accepted... so i mean... i would give it a week or three and see if you get into that top choice.

What would you do if you were accepted on Dec. 1st, had 45 days (pretty standard) to accept, but yet had your first choice interview after jan. 15th??? that wil be a toughy. Do you get a deposit back at all?

hawk52 said:
What would you do if you were accepted on Dec. 1st, had 45 days (pretty standard) to accept, but yet had your first choice interview after jan. 15th??? that wil be a toughy. Do you get a deposit back at all?

Your stats is really same as mine.
which school did you apply and any interview so far?

thank you

hawk52 said:

depends on how many other schools i had interviews/acceptances at, what i thought my chances were at my top choice (and others), and cost of a deposit.

if i didn't have my interview until after january 15th at a top choice, i would probably lay down a deposit somewhere if i was accepted earlier, regardless of my stats. the last thing you want to happen is have 3 acceptances but not have a seat because you didn't pay a deposit.

i would count on not getting your deposit back. so depending on the amount they want, i realize it isn't cheap. but it is better to be safe than sorry.

each situation is unique and ultimately only you know what will be best for you! good luck!

hawk52 said:

Most schools do not refund your deposit. In your example I would place that deposit down. Several of my classmates really wanted to attend UPenn but were waitlisted and subsequently placed deposits down at other schools while they were waiting for a response. One of them literally got the call from Penn during our orientation and peeled out of Pitt, in which he was all set to go, and flew to Philadelphia the next day to attend Penn. While his experience is more the exception than the rule, it is not uncommon at all for applicants to place deposits at schools so as to hold a seat for them while they are waiting to hear from another school. I think it is prudent to spend the extra money for a deposit at one school just in case you don't get your first choice.

anybody know if multiple deposits are sent out, will they be returned if requested? what if we are limited to financial resources? will the 1 acceptance letter we send be sufficient?

If you got accepted at the school you want, why wait? You have 45 days so make your choice so that the others who are waiting for an acceptance get one. If you get one from a school that you don't want to go to and are holding out for your dream school then put a deposit down so you don't end up with nothing. My .02

hawk52 said:
Not without a truly exceptional explanation. There's a reason they call it a tuition *deposit*, people.