How to handle leaves of absence when full disclosure is risky. (Addiction).

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What would you do?

• Don't reference leaves of absences until interview - then say personal medical reason.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Briefly and preemptively mention personal medical reason that has since resolved in secondaries.

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • None of the above. (Explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

flexdunkington

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would be wary of admitting to a history of addiction directly. I wouldn't even say "personal medical reason", just "medical leave of absence" or "I took a leave of absence for my health."

Reactions: 5 users
Might be a good idea to add a statement that it is non recurring or something

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, congratulations on being 18 months clean. That's something to be proud of.

Personally, I would stick to just saying you took a medical leave of absence without disclosing the nature of your illness. I don't think it's necessary or advisable - your numbers are fine, and sadly ADCOMs may make judgments about your character if you reveal that you took time off due to addiction.

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds suitable.

Reactions: 1 user
Not trying to be an a-hole here, just pointing out what seems obvious to me. If you took TWO leaves of absence, doesn't that make it a recurring issue? Maybe think about the wording of that last sentence...

Reactions: 2 users
Not trying to be an a-hole here, just pointing out what seems obvious to me. If you took TWO leaves of absence, doesn't that make it a recurring issue? Maybe think about the wording of that last sentence...

You make a good point. Maybe leave out non-recurring and just say that it is now resolved and leave it to the adcom to interpret how they like. I will warn you though, if you do get invited to interviews there is a very good chance they'll ask you about why all these leave of absences and attending different institutions. You won't have to disclose an addiction problem but be ready to explain it in a way that makes sense and protects the information you want to protect without sounding like you're hiding something questionable.

I don't imagine you're going to like my suggestion, but I'm going to suggest it anyway -- Time is your friend. The more time you are out of rehab, sober, and succeeding, the lower the risk of admitting you as a student will be.

If I were on an AdCom, I would have some concerns about an applicant who has been in rehab. Quite honestly, I would have far deeper concerns (sorry) about an applicant who has been in rehab twice. And I would absolutely want to hear the applicant's explanation for why stint #1 wasn't successful and why stint #2 will be. I'd want to see a good long 'safe' track record post-rehab to reassure me that you're up to the challenge of medical school. The more time that passes successfully after stint #2, the lower your risk as an applicant will be. (And the greater chance you will have at succeeding and not back-sliding.)

Kudos for what you have accomplished so far; and good luck to you OP. But I would also make plans for a 2-3 year Interim Plan B in case there are others who share my concerns.

Except that the reason for the withdraws is confidential and asking the applicant directly is a violation, especially if that is used to discredit the applicant, i.e. discrimination.

If the OP keep doing as great of a job as they're doing (congrats btw!) and phrases it they way they do and their letters address it in some way, i.e. say it was a medical condition that is resolved, then the OP should be fine. It is totally within the OP's right to not disclose this information. It is personal.

Smart of the OP to remove the language from the thread as well.