How to handle VERY rude customers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SClENCE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The store is closing in 1 minute, guy walks in with an empty vial wanting a refill. Since I'd feel bad leaving for the night with him in the store, I happily agree to fill it. I take the vial to see that it has no refills. I check his profile to see that no new script has been sent in before telling him that there are no refills on the medication. This guy absolutely explodes. Not just throwing a fit to make a scene, but this guy is legitimately mad. He wants to know why we didn't call him to let him know that there are no refills, says he has this problem all the time at our store, starts going off on me on how this is complete BS, and would like to know why I get to determine if he gets his medication or not. I told him, "the doctor writes the amount of refills, and you have none left". He goes on and on about how there is no way for him to know how many refills are left and actually tells me that the vial says nothing on it about refills. I literally point to where it says no more refills on the vial while this guy continues going off on me.

I'm not going to be rude to the guy because I know the company I work for wants the script count, but honestly I'm not going to apologize for this guys complete ignorance. and this is not just a one time occasion, this kind of crap happens almost daily not to mention the 30 people a day wanting me to explain why their insurance "didn't cover" their $350 drug that has a 10 dollar co-pay

The idiots calling to ask how much the electric tooth-brush costs

No the cherry flavor is just as effective as the lemon flavor

No we won't bill two primary insurance plans, since rite-aid did it for you why don't you go there

You need to count your son's Oxy script in the drive through lane to tell us we shorted you after we counted it three times because you say the same thing every time

You honk your horn/call us from the drive through lane because you waited until 15 minutes before you appointment to come fill your script

I don't have a problem making a doctor call or an insurance call for a patient but for God's sake people need to take responsibility... its you doctor, it's your insurance. I'm surprised I haven't been asked to set up their doctor appointments and take their medication for them at his point

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Give them 2 tablets and tell them they need to call their md. This guy is obviously pissed because his wife is sleeping with his neighbor and his son just came out of the closet. You didn't cause this anger, so there's no way for you to fix it.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't have given him anything either with that attitude . I think we baby these patients so much with their overbearing sense of entitlement. I had one question me last week why we couldn't get him his refills and this is after we already gave him 3 days emergency supply. I broke it down for him that it's his responsibility to call his doctor's office for his refills and that we are doing him a favor by faxing and calling his doctor for 5 days for his refills. He apologized for being rude and said that he didn't really understand how it works. After a few more lectures from me, I gave him 1 pill and asked him to contact his doctor's office the next day. I don't mind helping a patient but to be rude to me for something you are supposed to be doing yourself? Sorry, can't help you. I'm also not going to spend hours on the phone calling around to find a store that has a medication that I don't have in stock. My max is 3 nearby stores except if we are not busy.

'

Reactions: 1 users
3? That is pretty generous IMO. I will call one store and if they don't have it, oh well (exceptions for medications that actually are vital or people I like/are nice, etc.). And if you want a loan, you better be nice.

Many doctors in my area have stopped accepting requests from pharmacies, which is an absolute godsend.

In my area it is the opposite. Whenever I call, the message always says something to the effect of, "For prescription refill requests, contact your pharmacy blah blah blah". Weird, I didn't know the doctor worked at the pharmacy and could authorize refills from here.

Your first mistake was taking a refill 1 minute before you close. I've noticed that the people that come in right before close tend to have more problems for whatever reason. Refer him to the nearest 24 hour store or say you can get it ready in the morning.

Next you're taking stuff too personally. The stupidity of customers is to be expected. I never understood pharmacists who seemed to revel in telling stories about their day. I expect my day to be filled with a lot of bull**** and let it simply pass by without holding onto it. Lowered expectations seem to help a lot in retail.

Reactions: 5 users
you must be mentally discipline

It kind of sounds like retail might not be your thing.

I don't mind retail that much, though it's obviously not preferred, and I did just posted this 20 minutes after it happened... but still the ignorance of people amazes me

u
I don't mind retail that much, though it's obviously not preferred, and I did just posted this 20 minutes after it happened... but still the ignorance of people amazes me

There is nothing wrong in telling stories about your day on here. Most of us come here for advice, support or just to vent. We believe that people on this forum will understand more than let's say friends and family who are not in the same profession. I don't understand pharmacists who don't like to discuss their day. Just because you don't like doing it doesn't mean that other people shouldn't as well. I have learned so much from this forum since 2004 just from reading other people's stories and experiences. Most of these things we encounter in retail are not taught in school. I'm grateful to have a forum I can always come to for advice.
I also don't agree with tolerating stupid and rude customers just because they're expected. I believe in teaching people how to treat you. If you are rude or racist to me, I don't have to deal with you. I have never had anyone other than my store manager ask me anything about customer complaints in the two and half years that I have been in retail.

Reactions: 2 users
in my experience, one lined robotic repetitive answers usually gets them to shut up and go.

me: I'm sorry sir, you have no more refills
customer: what do you mean? how was i supposed to know that
me: the refills are on the bottle
customer: why didn't you call me to let me know i had no refills!?
me: the refills are on the bottle
customer: but i really need this medicine, can't you make an exception just once!
me: I cannot legally give you any without a new prescription
customer: So you're telling me i gotta take the train for 3 hours to my doctors office in new jersey just to get a refill for something I've been getting for 6 months?!?!?!?!?!?
me: that is correct
customer: I'll be dead by then!! wtf! you guys are the worst pharmacy ever!!!
me: Sorry for the inconvenience
customer: if anything happens to me without this medication, i'm gonna sue your ass!
me: ok sir have a nice day

indifferent poker face through the entire conversation

Reactions: 3 users
after 13 months of working for a retail chain (just quit due to a new job, last day was this Monday. can i get a hell yes?), strangely, i havent encountered too many REALLY rude customers myself. probably because the techs get them most of the time, and also im a cute girl, most patients dont get mad at me LOL, also im in a more laid-back part of the country. of course there were patients that got me so angry that i turned red for a hot second, but in the last 13 months, there were definitely less than 10 of those extreme cases.
what upsets me is that lots of rude customers are on medical (californian version of medicaid i guess), medicare, or some type of government assistance. i mean really? you're gonna be rude to the tax payers like me and my techs, people that PAY for your meds? it upsets me to no end knowing that we pay for these people's meds, other bills, even obama phones!!!! i hate it so much. the fact that these people do nothing all day, or worse, some even cruise around in their benz on a monday morning, buying their 3rd LV bag, beating the system....upsets me more than anything else. i try everything i can to pay less tax. buying property right now and also getting married in two months and such..gotta hurry up because i dont want to pay one more penny to uncle sam than i need to! i wish i can just have 6 kids and pay less tax, but im not willing to go THAT far...not yet anyway. =P

okay, in all seriousness, when a patient is mad for some ridiculous **** like the circumstance OP described, i just look at them and say just gently and patiently, "i am so sorry that you're so upset!, so sorry that this is bothering you so much. i really wish there was something i could do to help". if they're still mad, repeat again, "i feel so bad that you're beating yourself up over this issue, when the doctor's office opens, i will be sure to call and get you your refills." if they keep nagging, repeat again, "im so sorry you feel horrible about this, ill take care of it tomorrow".

i think when people make a big deal out of something like no fills, theyre looking for your reactions, its almost like those patients want to get you upset, they want to see you mad, they want to mess with you. dont let them. be calm and happy, turn it around on them. by saying "im so sorry that you're so upset over this!" "please dont beat yourself up over this." they see that theyre upsetting THEMSELVES, not you. so they will stop.

after i started doing that, no one can get to me anymore, they just get more frustrated at themselves.

Last edited:
Fire them and send them on there way. Especially if you know you provide a high level of service. They will go elsewhere and then come back. I understand corporate policy may not allow this, but it has always worked well for me and it gives me more time to help customers who appreciate what we do.

Reactions: 1 user