How to have a life and still get into a great school - Interest in a book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Interested?

• Yes, but only if free

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Yes, $4.99 sounds about right

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Not interested - wouldn't help me

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Not interested - SDN answers all my questions

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

Oliver Williams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I went to a big crappy state school, where I had a girlfriend, a life, and partied a lot. I ended up with a 3.4 science and a 3.6 overall, a 34 on my MCAT, and ended up at a top-5 research school, and was interviewed for several full-ride scholarships at top-30 schools. I'm a white male from an upper-middle-class family.

I think there are a lot of tricks that I learned along the way (lots through this forum) that I don't see in many of the medical school admissions books.

I am interested in writing a short, cheap e-book that explains my thoughts on the process. I am posting here to gauge interest - do you think people would be interested in reading this? Enough for $4.99 or so? I would offer a set for free for first-come SDN users, of course.

Thanks so much for any thoughts.
Oliver

Members don't see this ad.

Id love to read it and I'm sure my friends would as well!
Pm me

Do you have any verifiable credentials? I don't think I'd even bother reading a book that some kid off the internet wrote.

Smells fishy...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Would read, try free first and then pay later.

Hello,

I went to a big crappy state school, where I had a girlfriend, a life, and partied a lot. I ended up with a 3.4 science and a 3.6 overall, a 34 on my MCAT, and ended up at a top-5 research school, and was interviewed for several full-ride scholarships at top-30 schools. I'm a white male from an upper-middle-class family.

I think there are a lot of tricks that I learned along the way (lots through this forum) that I don't see in many of the medical school admissions books.

I am interested in writing a short, cheap e-book that explains my thoughts on the process. I am posting here to gauge interest - do you think people would be interested in reading this? Enough for $4.99 or so? I would offer a set for free for first-come SDN users, of course.

Thanks so much for any thoughts.
Oliver
I fail to believe you had that success with your numbers.

If anyone buys OP's book, I will slap them at no additional cost.

Reactions: 8 users
As troll threads go, this one has potential.

Reactions: 2 users
It's not a story worth sharing, except for OP's ego. Write it in your journal, have someone "discover" it. If they don't toss it, sell it.

As a marketing strategy, you might plan a fun presentation/book signing where you give the audience a few of the awesome tips in your book. Make sure the tips you provide are like gold to the audience, and plan that audience carefully. Inviting pre-med clubs, pre-law clubs, and other college/graduate school prep groups would be my advice. You may or may not choose to have a co-presenter, food, or special guests of interest to pull in more of an audience. Then have some promo where they can get a copy of the book at a reduced price during the signing. You might be able to get the ball rolling this way and with the reduced price. If the book becomes popular, raise the price.

BTW, here's a book that's somewhat relevant: http://www.ediblebrooklyn.com/foodshed-2/people/local-heroes/leanne-browns-recipe-eating-snap/ Maybe someone like this could have a co-signing with you. What's in it for them? Maybe you could make a gigantic invitation list groups of people who may be interested in your book and agree to do a bunch of marketing work (assuming it's your first book).

Why not just be a nice guy and contribute to the forums that helped you so much when you were applying? I doubt you have that many tips and tricks not found somewhere on SDN to justify a whole book. And your story really doesn't set you apart from a lot of the highly accomplished individuals who find time to post here.

Why not just be a nice guy and contribute to the forums that helped you so much when you were applying? I doubt you have that many tips and tricks not found somewhere on SDN to justify a whole book. And your story really doesn't set you apart from a lot of the highly accomplished individuals who find time to post here.
This is my point exactly. If you want to make passive income, write something unique; stuff you stole or anecdotal stories that statistically will not help is a waste of everyone's time.

Now if you think your story is unique and awesome and you just want to share your trials and tribulations, write a fictional story; don't take advantage of those who are desperate to get accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
Full ride scholarships at Top 30s with those stats? I don't think so.

Sent from the World Tree using SDN Mobile

Hey yo... I was a body-building major at my community college before I switched my major to pre-med. I was in 2 fraternities... got my GED part way through community college. Now I'm a top neurosurgeon at mayo. Want to buy my book?

Reactions: 1 users
The way I shop for a book:

1. Either the cover*, the title**, boredom***, or a good review**** from someone else entices me to open it up for a preview. (...or if I go to a book review and it's what everyone is talking about.)
2. If enticed to open it, I scan the table of contents and read a paragraph here and there. If I find it helpful and pleasant to read, I buy it. (The price is NOT a major factor for me. As long as it's NOT too exorbitant. I'll pick up just about anything for free.)

*Have friends and non-friends of different demographics tell you what the book cover suggests about the book. Make sure that's the image you're after.
**Make sure the title serves you well. The title should entice readers to pick up the book. It should either tell readers how it will benefit them, say something that makes people so curious they have to open the book, or something like that. If all else fails, a simple to-the-point title will do.
***I'm rarely bored, but if I am, it's because I'm sitting outside my professor's door waiting, waiting for the Registrar, waiting for my adviser, or something like that. If possible, you might put book displays in key areas where your audience will be waiting.
****If you are aware of a loud-mouth who will like your book, give them a copy for free. This includes journalists.

Good luck!

Full ride scholarships at Top 30s with those stats? I don't think so.
Sent from the World Tree using SDN Mobile
To be fair, he didn't say it WASN'T "top-30 in my head." Nor did he say these schools are in the US - or real.