How to impress on rad onc rotation as a med student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cancerchamp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first rad onc rotation starts at the end of August, and I was wondering how I can be most impressive during my rotation? I know med students aren't expected to know a great deal about the field since we've had little exposure to it, but what are some of the things we can do and/or read up on before starting? I don't want to just wing it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

We've had a lot of rotating students this year asking this question...

The answer is: there is nothing you can do to prepare. You're right, nobody expects you to know anything about radiation. You can do a history and physical, and that's about all you will be able to do.

If you know what body site you're going to be on, you could read and try to memorize the NCCN guidelines to get the basics of the cancers you're going to be working on. At the medical student level you should focus on things like: what is the staging. What are the survivals like for those stages. Which stages or scenarios get surgery, chemo, and/or radiation. If you don't know what service you'll be on, or if you'll be on multiple services, this may not actually be feasible.

There are three things I tell the rotating students.
1) Be punctual
2) Be prepared -- i.e. read up on your patients beforehand. When you see the patient, be thorough. You'd rather be too slow or give presentations that are too lengthy, rather than them thinking you are stupid or lazy. Hopefully your residents can guide you in this regard.
3) Most importantly, be affable. Program directors want residents they think will do the most, learn the most without actually being taught, and will complain the least when there are problems.

Between the NCCN guidelines, the wikibooks, and the blue book (Hansen & Roach), you will have all the reference materials you will ever need as a medical student.

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. It's just weird coming off rotations like IM and Peds during 4th year when the students who are going in to those fields are able to flex their muscles and look like junior residents. Going in to this rad onc rotation, I feel like a 3rd year again.

Other than the being punctual/thorough/affable stuff, does your personality fit with that specific program matter a lot, too? You can be as affable and pleasant as you want, but sometimes the residents and/or attendings may not have the same personality/interests as you. I guess you just have to do the things you listed in your post and then hope you're at a place that you click.

Sorry for the rambling...I was just thinking out loud a little bit. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
This advise has been given several/many times on this site, but fitting in with the residents at a particular program ranges is always important, especially if you end up spending 4 years there. I imagine there are some programs out there where how well you get along with the residents doesn't really matter when it comes to the rank list, but if so, I'm not sure that's a place you'd want to be. It is entirely possible you will rotate places where you simply do not get along with the residents or the faculty, and your interests do not line up. For the sake of your own sanity/career/happiness, you should not rank these programs highly... regardless of the name/prestige/location. This is kind of a scary realization to have when you're a 4th year, but once you understand that worrying about things over which you have no control will do you no good, then you'll be fine.

Check out this recent "med student primer" from Penn: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23807599

I'd also recommend picking up a good handbook and flip through it to get a feel for what kind of information we focus on. It will come in handy on your rotations. Here are the ones that we suggest to students rotating through the Univ of Chicago:

"UCSF Handbook of Evidence-based Radiation Oncology" - Hansen and Roach
"Radiation Oncology: Management Decisions" - Chao, Perez, and Brady
"Handbook of Radiation Oncology: Basic Principles and Clinical Protocols" - Haffty and Wilson

And of course, as Neuronix said, be punctual, prepared, and friendly.

Have fun!