How to improve my resume for the new cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rola

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Didn't get any invites last cycle. Kind of worried that I won't get anything next cycle either ! What should I do to avoid this

Members don't see this ad.

That's a question everyone has! However I think work experience, shadowing, having masters , improving on marks, some I heard are asking for gre

there are so many ways to improve your resume...
Shadowing is the most common one..everybody probably does this..so i guess this is must apart from something new like..research work, Phd, volunteering in government runned community centers, working as a dental assistant..
apart from this some people prefer to do a year long certificate course in restorative dentistry, implantology or other branches in schools like UCLA or NYU(there are other schools as well)
good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
there are so many ways to improve your resume...
Shadowing is the most common one..everybody probably does this..so i guess this is must apart from something new like..research work, Phd, volunteering in government runned community centers, working as a dental assistant..
apart from this some people prefer to do a year long certificate course in restorative dentistry, implantology or other branches in schools like UCLA or NYU(there are other schools as well)
good luck!

I got 98 on my TOEFL. Do u think I should redo it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

I got 98 on my TOEFL. Do u think I should redo it?

Yes...in my opinion go for a retake...
think it differently...you just 2 points away from 100....100 would be the target score...you are safe at 100..:)

Steps when you apply for DDS/DMD dental school as foreign student.
1. Take nbde part 1
2 Take toefl
You can apply with part 1 and toefl to many school. Make sure both should be high.Specially now nbde is pass/fail...So try to get toefl above or equal to 100..
3 if you still have time take part 2 and apply.
4 Improve resume by adding
Research work/Mph/any dental course/ publications
Volunteer work at community clinics> volunteer at private dental clinics ( get letter for hrs.)
Get good recommendation letters
Ce courses e.g CPR, Infection control, etc.
For bench exams prepare or take course
Stay in contact with the admission committee ..show them you are really keen for the college.
Upon all....Apply as soon as possible..Don't wait to apply..Do it
And good luck..Its tough but you will be fine...

Yes...in my opinion go for a retake...
think it differently...you just 2 points away from 100....100 would be the target score...you are safe at 100..:)

I should be doing it soon though ..since application starts in a few days

guys, does anybody know who can help in bench exams, tooth preparation and waxing please.
thanks

When does the next cycle begin exactly? I mean in general, not for a specific school though!

Do dental schools give any preference to candidates with master's as in MHA or MPH? I want to know if its really worth the time and money we invest in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do dental schools give any preference to candidates with master's as in MHA or MPH? I want to know if its really worth the time and money we invest in it.

yes..they do give importance now, since there is no score on part 1 & 2...

yes..they do give importance now, since there is no score on part 1 & 2...

i agree, it can really help your resume if you lack in certain areas. conversely, if you have a great resume in other areas, you don't necessarily need a masters or even a course after your graduation. my opinion, they want to see how well you will be able to integrate and learn from their school, doing courses and masters show that you can learn in the North American environment. if other parts of your resume can show this in an exceptional manner, then you saved yourself a few years

i agree, it can really help your resume if you lack in certain areas. conversely, if you have a great resume in other areas, you don't necessarily need a masters or even a course after your graduation. my opinion, they want to see how well you will be able to integrate and learn from their school, doing courses and masters show that you can learn in the North American environment. if other parts of your resume can show this in an exceptional manner, then you saved yourself a few years

Perfectly said..

Hi Could anyone add some light on the CAAPID system of application. Since this is my first time I am not aware about this system completely. I have my part 1 result and awaiting toefl score.. should I start the caapid application or wait till i get all my scores in order?
What are the things i need to prepare for the application process?

And I want more info about the practical exams where could i get a comprehensive practice for this? Is there any place you would suggest for practicals or bench?

If any one is interested in applying for U Mich, UCSF, BU, U colorado please guide me through this process. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Hi Could anyone add some light on the CAAPID system of application. Since this is my first time I am not aware about this system completely. I have my part 1 result and awaiting toefl score.. should I start the caapid application or wait till i get all my scores in order?
What are the things i need to prepare for the application process?

And I want more info about the practical exams where could i get a comprehensive practice for this? Is there any place you would suggest for practicals or bench?

If any one is interested in applying for U Mich, UCSF, BU, U colorado please guide me through this process. Thanks in advance for your reply.
Start the CAAPID application, but don't submit until you get the scores. Your CAAPID account will save the information you've entered till date and it takes a while to make everything look right on CAAPID too, so you'll be wasting time if you don't start until you get your results.

International Dentist Central is opening a Bench-test Online Intensive. Information can be found here: http://internationaldentistcentral.com/bench-test-intensive/

guys, does anybody know who can help in bench exams, tooth preparation and waxing please.
thanks

If you are willing to spend money you could go to the duggan's course. Its good. you'll learn lot of things compared to the indian standards. Pm your email I could forward you some of the videos of that course. Hope this helps.

Hi,
I am new to this application process, can anyone suggest whether the evaluator has to send the letters of evaluation along with matching form sealed.

Thanks.

im so scared of this cycle. im applying for the first time but i know my friends who didnt get in and there were who got in also. but the question of WHAT IF?.. i still am waiting for my letters of recommendations. i hope i get it soon. and im still working on my SOP. its hell of a thing. :) good luck to all of you out there. i hope we all laugh at this post after we all get into good dental schools. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Don't worry.. Even I'm new to this application process....we all will work together to get into good dental school..... Good luck to u too...

Can anyone tell about the Evaluation letters??? I am working as ortho assistant with orthodontist since last four months......is that ok, If I will get an Evaluation from him?????

hey,
I am applying for the 1st time,,,,,so am confused...
as I have part 1 only..........n zus started to prepare for part 2 n have part2 exam in june 3rd wk............will they consider me if i update my part 2 score after deadline..as it's on 1st july?
any help will be really appreciable.

[
How do we get research experience?
I have applied to so many colleges asking to be a volunteer research assistant, but nobody replies.

If a Toefl score is 85... and is not going any further ... would applying be a waste of money?

If a Toefl score is 85... and is not going any further ... would applying be a waste of money?
Sorry to say..bt I think yes..bt then..U never know..U can try..

take english classes.. or english courses and improve it.. 85 is less.. most schools require more than 100..

Unless n until you have very brilliant stats, the toefl score of 85 will really effect your application, you have to try to score more than 92 n best will be above 100.

Hi everyone. This is my first time applying too. I graduated in Sept 2013. I don't have any work experience. I only have quite a lot of volunteering activity. Do you think it's worth applying this cycle with just a good scores ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi everyone. This is my first time applying too. I graduated in Sept 2013. I don't have any work experience. I only have quite a lot of volunteering activity. Do you think it's worth applying this cycle with just a good scores ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
obviously yes, a good GPA and toefl score with the volunteering will do the work.

obviously yes, a good GPA and toefl score with the volunteering will do the work.
Could you also pls clear my CAAPID doubt ? It says that every additional program is 93 usd. But on the websites of the individual schools, the application cost is different. Do we have to pay for both ? Or are they same ? I'm very confused.

Could you also pls clear my CAAPID doubt ? It says that every additional program is 93 usd. But on the websites of the individual schools, the application cost is different. Do we have to pay for both ? Or are they same ? I'm very confused.
yes we have to pay for both first applying through caapid 93 and again to individual school

Its all money making business for them..I doubt if they see all the applications..or that they just take out money order checks from the envelops and discard the rest!!!

Reactions: 2 users
As said by saradent we do need to pay both separately, i.e for CAAPID and individual schools separately.

Its all money making business for them..I doubt if they see all the applications..or that they just take out money order checks from the envelops and discard the rest!!!
Yeah :( I had no idea until now.

OMG .. That's horrifyingly expensive :O
i dont even know if schools actually check what comes in thru caapid.. because most schools request the same materials (lors, ps transcirpts ece etc) seperately again! the process is seriously frustrating..

i dont even know if schools actually check what comes in thru caapid.. because most schools request the same materials (lors, ps transcirpts ece etc) seperately again! the process is seriously frustrating..

Yeah, that's true. I was wondering the same thing. I'm not sure if I should even apply this year as I don't have a very strong application. And just applying costs this much. Thanks though.

Yeah, that's true. I was wondering the same thing. I'm not sure if I should even apply this year as I don't have a very strong application. And just applying costs this much. Thanks though.
u should apply. u never know what happens. i applied fresh out of school last yr and scored an interview invite. i havent yet heard bk from the school but it was worth it in any case.

Reactions: 1 users
u should apply. u never know what happens. i applied fresh out of school last yr and scored an interview invite. i havent yet heard bk from the school but it was worth it in any case.
Thanks, sampu88. Hope you get you get accepted.

Hey everyone m an intern in India and ll b completing my degree in august!! I wish to pursue dds... I Have lot many questions on my mind regarding same..!!
First is wen ol can I apply for my nbde. And wot ol sessions r there..I mean s der ne such thing as sessions for dds and if yes Dan is it lyk that some specific session s better than other when we consider our future h1 visa??
Secondly, since clearing nbde in 1 attempt seems to be difficult I have even heard that people take admission in courses like mha or ms in health care and than attempt nbde.. Is this(taking admission in mha or other course and spending time and money) all worth it..
Thirdly, even if I take admission in mha or other course on basis of Indian loan..how will I b able to get loan for dds..since what I know is u.s banks provide loan to green card holders and residents only.. If I won't get the loan I ll never b able to study dentistry in states
That is all these efforts I ll be taking will be wasted!!

I know I have asked too much but any answer will be of great help!! Kindly enlighten me please...
Thanks in advance