How to increase chances at a specific program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chajjohnson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm going to be an MS-I this Fall at a state school in MN. I am pretty sure I want to go into neurology, and my first choice for residency is at Mayo (great hospital and fellowship opportunities, my wife and I want to stay in MN) so I'm wondering how to increase my chances of being accepted to that specific program. I know Mayo is a top-tier school, so I'm aware a stellar step 1 score is almost essential. I'm more concerned about research. I'm currently working in a wet lab and planning to continue my project during the school year (maybe) and possibly next summer if I can't get anything presentable by then. My main question is should I drop my current project next summer if I need to (current project is not related to neuro at all) and start some research in a neuro lab, or would any research probably be fine for this program? If nothing else, should I allot some time in 3rd or 4th year for neuro research?

Also, the main reason I want to go to Mayo is for their fellowships (and to stay in MN, my wife can't really leave the state due to grad school). They have a lot of really cool ones that my state school doesn't have, but most of the fellowships only have one available spot each year. From what I've heard, if you go to Mayo for residency you have a much higher chance of getting those fellowship spots. Am I thinking way too far ahead here, or should I be doing as much as I can to go to this residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really like your wet lab research stick with it. If you already have experience and a skillset, your services may be in demand and you'll be able to work on desirable projects. However, it can be difficult to devote the necessary time to bench research during medical school to actually be productive though. Some people take a year off between 3rd and 4th year in order to produce something substantial from their bench research. But if you're passionate about it and productive, it will shine through in your application.

If you're only doing your bench research to be competitive, consider joining an ongoing study in clinical neurology research. You could find a neurologist to work with at Mayo for the summer between MS1 and MS2 in a field you're interested in, work with them in clinic, and you would likely end up meeting several people on the admissions committee at Mayo. You would also get more exposure to clinical neurology early on. And/or also find a clinical neurology project at your state school. Overall, its easier to fit clinical research into a medical student schedule, since you are less likely to need to spend long stretches of time in the lab. Some aspects of clinical research can be done at home using electronic medical records, or on your own, tailored to fit your schedule, instead of the schedule of the wetlab.

Then of course do an externship or 2 at Mayo during 4th year.

good luck

If you really like your wet lab research stick with it. If you already have experience and a skillset, your services may be in demand and you'll be able to work on desirable projects. However, it can be difficult to devote the necessary time to bench research during medical school to actually be productive though. Some people take a year off between 3rd and 4th year in order to produce something substantial from their bench research. But if you're passionate about it and productive, it will shine through in your application.

If you're only doing your bench research to be competitive, consider joining an ongoing study in clinical neurology research. You could find a neurologist to work with at Mayo for the summer between MS1 and MS2 in a field you're interested in, work with them in clinic, and you would likely end up meeting several people on the admissions committee at Mayo. You would also get more exposure to clinical neurology early on. And/or also find a clinical neurology project at your state school. Overall, its easier to fit clinical research into a medical student schedule, since you are less likely to need to spend long stretches of time in the lab. Some aspects of clinical research can be done at home using electronic medical records, or on your own, tailored to fit your schedule, instead of the schedule of the wetlab.

Then of course do an externship or 2 at Mayo during 4th year.

good luck

I have a similar interest but a two NYC schools instead. My Step 1 was not stellar so I was told to do quite well (240+) on Step 2 to try and make up for that a bit. Outside of that, what else can I do to match there? Should I do research there? I plan on doing aways at those places.

OP: I am actually at Mayo and their Neuro program is excellent. If you want some info about it you can PM me.