How to increase my chances for Admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hAAAnh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN,

I'm a third year Undergrad Student and plan on applying to Dental Schools. I have a 3.1 Science GPA and am currently job shadowing with Dentists. I know I have a lower GPA then the average GPA's of dental schools, but I go to the University of Washington, which is has a harder and more rigorous course load. I feel like with my GPA it will be very hard to get in. Please tell me how I can improve my chances to make myself a stronger candidate. Any feedback will be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Ace the dat, write a great PS, and improve the gpa if time permits.

I'm in the same boat. I think DAT is the only way we can save ourselves at this point. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
DAT, ECs, PS, Letters of Evaluation.

GPA is on the lower side but is possible to gain admission, you may also want to look into SMPs if it comes to that if you absolutely want to pursue dentistry and don't gain admission immediately.

You, along with everyone else, should try to beef up every single part of your application that you possibly can. Don't leave any weak spots in your application that could possibly make them choose to not accept you. Do well on the DAT, do as much shadowing as you can, get some volunteer work in, write a great Personal Statement, work on getting good LORs, etc.

I didn't get accepted my first attempt, so I went through my application and beefed the entire thing up (Including improving on the DAT, changing up my personal statement, volunteering more, continued working in an oral surgeon's office). And I was accepted my next try.
Just try to do your best in all parts of the application, and you should be competitive.