How to know if med school is for you?

WhatAmIDoing?

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Incoming college freshman here. And here is my problem.

I've been going through SDN obsessively and reading/absorbing so much info about each specialty. I (think) I have a good idea of what I want in a future career, and what I don't. Some medical specialties fit into this "paradigm", and some don't. My fear though is that I'll get to Medical School and realize none of the specialties really fit what I want to do. So I have two questions.

1. With specialties being so unique, what are some baseline, universal aspirations or talents that would tell a person that they are suited for med school?

2. Do most people go in with some specialties in mind, or do they just go in open-minded? If you go in open-minded, what do you do if you don't really like any all that much?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've been going through SDN obsessively and reading/absorbing so much info about each specialty. I (think) I have a good idea of what I want in a future career, and what I don't. Some medical specialties fit into this "paradigm", and some don't. My fear though is that I'll get to Medical School and realize none of the specialties really fit what I want to do. So I have two questions.

1. With specialties being so unique, what are some baseline, universal aspirations or talents that would tell a person that they are suited for med school?

I don't think there are "talents" you need to make you suitable for medical school/a medical career. What you need is drive and focus. You need to do well in classes, specifically the core requirements, and do EC's that you enjoy. You need to shadow different doctors to see if this is really fit for you.

One circumstance stands out for me: If you are "on the fence" about medicine and you are a junior in college - then I would reconsider. Medical school, both the classroom years (MS1, MS2) and clinical (MS3, MS4) are very tough intellectually (because of the vast amount of material) and physically (you may not get much sleep, relationshios will be stressed/lost) - and you need that drive/dedication to get you thru and into residency.

2. Do most people go in with some specialties in mind, or do they just go in open-minded? If you go in open-minded, what do you do if you don't really like any all that much?

Most of my classmates had specialities in mind, some were "set" on one speciality. I was one of those people, I had done thousands of hours as an EMT and was CERTAIN I would be an ER physician. During my first two years of med school I set myself - I did ER research, I got to know the local Program director... But then I did OB/GYN (which I thought I would hate) and I *LOVED* it. It literally changed my life, I had to switch from ER to a selecting a field that had OB - which for me turned out to be family medicine.

What to do if you don't like anything? Depends on where you are in life. Pre-medical school - doesn't matter, you get to enter medical school with an open mind and you have not yet experienced the clinical years. Even after MS3 (when you do core rotations+a few electives) - if you don't like anything you could either explore further subspecialities, maybe do a rarer form of medicine - administration, get a MPH, do some research at NIH.

Hey, incoming medical student this fall, so I don't know much at all, but here are my 2 cents...

To answer your second question...I also had certain specialties in mind (pediatric oncology, PICU, Electrophysiologist), but since being accepted and doing some research on the school I'll be attending, there are just so many interesting specialties that it's nearly impossible to go in saying you want to specialize in one thing, and coming out of med school in the specialty. I believe most, if not all students/residents/attendings, will tell you to go in with an open mind. During third and fourth year you will rotate through the different specialties (Internal Med, Peds, Psych, Family Med, OB/GYN, surgery) and you'll get to see what exactly they do. This is the time most students decide what type of physician they want to be.

As far as "baseline, universal aspirations", I'd say you need to be sure that you want to dedicate your life to medicine. Medicine is always changing, which means physicians are continuously learning. You don't learn just for the test, you learn to provide the best care to your patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a significant likelyhood that most of the high schoolers on this forum will switch majors during their undergrad, it is IMPOSSIBLE for you to know.

When you start college, you should begin shadowing physicians, that will be your best indicator.

You're not going to get accepted to medical school without demonstrating that you are familiar with the day to day life of physicians, that you have experience with sick people and clinical settings, and that you know what you're getting into.

Shadow physicians and get clinical experience during college.

Thanks

1) I can't say there is a straightforward answer to this question. Are you determined? Are you willing to dedicate your life to becoming a doctor? Do you love learning? Do you like problem-solving? Are you compassionate?

2) I'm not in college yet, but I already have a speciality in mind (Oncology, not so much Radiation Oncology but Medical Oncology, but of course I could change my mind). It'd help to have a specialty in mind of course but you don't have to know. I'm personally one of those people who have been trying to figure out my life since I was like 14 lol, so I just like to know what and where I'm heading in my life.

Dont stress about it, but at some point you need to know where you're heading.

Thanks
If you want flexibility, PA is a good route in which you can always switch specialties you're not interested in.

Reactions: 1 user
Shadow, volunteer, and get a clinically relevant job.

Shadow different physicians and get a feel for what they do. Every summer shadow one or two new specialties, unless you find one that you love in particular. Make sure that you get a taste of everything that you can and ask loads of questions to your Docs. Find someone that will let you think while on the job by asking you questions. I shadowed a physician that was very good about asking me things even when I clearly didn't know the answers. You may even get an LOR!

Volunteer in clinical and non-clinical settings. Clinical settings to make sure that you are comfortable being in the hospital, talking to patients, dealing with people on a regular basis and so that you are expose to the clinical setting in general. Try different things like hospice volunteering. Be involved for long periods of time (1-3 years) and make your commitment light (2 hours a week, 4 a month, etc) so you don't get too bored. But if you love it, there are no limits to the number of hours you can include on your application, so go crazy. Find a hospital or setting that interests you. Non-clinical settings are good for revealing other interests to you. Don't be that Pre-med who won't do anything medically unrelated. Remember to have fun.

Get a job as a Medical Scribe, CNA, EMT or other cert job if you can handle it. The certifications cost time (one month to two years) and money ($500-$3000). So start as early as you feel you can. You don't have to work in a clinical setting, but if you're like me and you have to work your way through school anyway, it might as well be something that can help you get into medical school. However, remember that volunteer hours can be more valuable that paid hours. I have a friend with an EMT. He worked his way through college and then did additional volunteer hours during his gap year before applying to medical school.

All of these will help you get used to the hospital environment and determine if med school is for you.

Hope I helped!

Thanks for the answers everyone! I definitely plan to shadow and volunteer. As my Username shows, Im pretty up in the air with what I'll end up doing, so you all definitely helped.

Reactions: 1 user