How to list GPA when retaking courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stephrp

B.S. Biology & Wildlife Conservation c/o 2018
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating in May, but will be taking additional science courses in the fall to boost my overall GPA and science GPA as well as retaking a course I got a C- in. I'm trying to find out how I would list that on resumes and in vet school applications? Especially on resumes. If I graduated with a 3.5 but after the fall received a 3.6, do I list it as a 3.6?? It sounds ridiculous but no one at my actual college has any idea.

Members don't see this ad.

Call the school that you are applying to and ask them. For resumés you usually just average all the courses (you don't drop the previous course)

I'm graduating in May, but will be taking additional science courses in the fall to boost my overall GPA and science GPA as well as retaking a course I got a C- in. I'm trying to find out how I would list that on resumes and in vet school applications? Especially on resumes. If I graduated with a 3.5 but after the fall received a 3.6, do I list it as a 3.6?? It sounds ridiculous but no one at my actual college has any idea.

If you're applying on VMCAS, you have to list both times you took the class. You designate the class as "repeated" when you enter it the second time.

I wouldn't put GPA on a resume unless it was exceptionally high. It doesn't really say anything about what transferable skills you have, which is what hiring managers want to know. If you graduated with Latin honors, you could put that on there without getting into the exact number.

Don't ever put GPA on a job resume. If a hiring manager wants to know your GPA, they will ask. Most jobs don't give a hoot as to what your GPA is.

For VMCAS, follow the directions. I think you have to report your cumulative GPA as it shows on your transcript from what you consider your "main" university, which is usually where you obtain or are going to school towards your bachelor's. At least, that is how I remember it being when I filled out VMCAS a few years ago. You also have to list every class you have ever taken, how many credit hours it was and what grade you received. With the classes that you are taking and retaking in the fall, you will put those in VMCAS as "in progress" classes. You do not fill out what you predict your GPA will be in the future, which is what it sounds like you are suggesting. Since fall classes won't be over until December, your vet school application will already be submitted once you get those grades. All schools require that you send in fall transcripts once they are available, so then you can send in that update. But you don't predict what your future GPA might be for the application.