How to list this grant on my CV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisa44201

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received word yesterday that a project on which I am the methodologist received grant funding (yay!). I am not an author on the grant itself, but will be paid through the grant for my work, and will receive authorship credit on any papers and presentations that will result from this. Where and how do I put this on my CV? I have a Grants section, but am worried it will look a little odd without my name there as an author. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a co-investigator I think that is fine to list, you just specify that you were co-i. Just about every CV I have reviewed lists PI and Co-I grants.

If you were less than a Co-I (i.e. if "methodologist" means something like "project coordinator") than I wouldn't bother including it. I think the sticking point is what your role actually is on the project.

Grants don't really have "authors" in the traditional sense so you shouldn't be listing that anyways. The format I usually see is something like:

NCI (R01 999999). This is the title of my grant DC: $467,593; TC: $657,848. Co-Investigator (PI: John Smith). 1/15-1/20.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think only the PI can list a grant as a grant obtained. If you work on the project you can list that under some kind of "relevant experience" section.

This seems a bit conservative for me.
I have a heading that reads "Grant Activity" and there are subsections for Active Grants, Completed Grants and Unfunded Grants.

Each listing is set up the same:
Role: PI Co-I Consultant* Amount: $$$$$$$ (or Unfunded)**
Funding Source: NIMH, NIDA, NICHD, Dept of Education, American Psychological Foundation etc.
Project Title: Blah Blah Blah
Funding Period:

*If I'm a Co-I or Consultant I list the PI in Parentheses after my Role
For example: Role: Co-I (PI: S. Sparks)

**If unfunded but competitive (i.e., some kind of score or percentile ranking) I list that here as well.

If you are earlier in your career, I think its acceptable to list your role as Graduate Research Assistant or Methodologist or whatever, as long as your name and title appears in the actual grant application. If your name doesn't appear in the grant I would ask your mentor for advice.

Just my thoughts.

Fair enough, I guess I wasn't explicit in my wording. But a Co-PI is different than a consultant on a project,or a co-investigator. It really depends on your role on the project.

I guess if it were me it would depend on if I had any grants that I was actually a PI or co-PI to begin with. Otherwise I'd list it separately in whatever section it fit best, clinical or research.

I am the Statistical Analyst on this project. I've now seen this type of work worded this way on someone else's CV under Research Support; the person in that example also was the Statistical Analyst (as opposed to the PI or co-PI), and listed the role as such. Given that I will be compensated financially for my time on this project (as opposed to being a grad student funded through a grant), I think it's fair and honest to list this project in the same manner.

If you were sought out because of statistical expertise and specifically written into the grant than I think that is totally fair game to list. I looked into our stats department and that is generally how it is handled there. I'd just use something like the above format and put "Statistician" unless you think Consultant or Co-I describes your role better.