How to make friends in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lannister

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The part of medical school I'm most nervous about is making friends. I had a really hard time making friends in college, and I don't want to repeat that experience in medical school, because it was pretty miserable. So, do any of you more social SDNers have any tips for me on how to make friends in med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Be yourself.

Organize movie nights, video game tournaments, and other fun events to relieve stress :)

Reactions: 1 users
You just will. It's like high school. The cliques will be set by week 2 so choose wisely.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You just will. It's like high school. The cliques will be set by week 2 so choose wisely.

I think that's part of the problem though. I can't just sit around and wait for someone to come along and be my friend. I need to learn how to be pro-active. But I don't know how to do that without annoying people.

The part of medical school I'm most nervous about is making friends. I had a really hard time making friends in college, and I don't want to repeat that experience in medical school, because it was pretty miserable. So, do any of you more social SDNers have any tips for me on how to make friends in med school?
Unlike college, where there's thousands of people, all with different schedules, med school classes are around 100 or 200 people at most, and everyone has the same schedule. You'll be seeing a lot of the same people for several hours a day for the next 4 years, so friendships will form organically. Just don't shut yourself off from everyone else. You really have to make an effort to not make friends in med school, since everyone wants to get to know each other.

Reactions: 4 users
I think that's part of the problem though. I can't just sit around and wait for someone to come along and be my friend. I need to learn how to be pro-active. But I don't know how to do that without annoying people.
You'll find your people, don't worry. Through group activities and mixers and other bull****, you find the ones.

I think Orientation is a big part of it. A good number of social events are packed into those first few days. It seems like you won't be able to hide, unless you actively try. Find a couple decent people you feel comfortable-ish around, and navigate from there. (...or at least this is what I plan on doing)

Reactions: 1 user
It's pretty easy. People are going to go to bars at night, and they'll usually post it on your class facebook page. Go to the bar. Pick out some people who look like you and introduce yourself. Don't talk about weird stuff. In simpler flow chart form:

1. Go to bar.
2. Talk to people.
3. ???
4. Friends!

Now if you really want to make friends/break out of your shell, go hang out with the people that would typically beat you up in high school. They're the most fun.

Reactions: 5 users
you should compare MCAT scores and bully, give wedgies, purple nurples and ostracize the minorities and those that scored below 30.

Unlike college, where there's thousands of people, all with different schedules, med school classes are around 100 or 200 people at most, and everyone has the same schedule. You'll be seeing a lot of the same people for several hours a day for the next 4 years, so friendships will form organically. Just don't shut yourself off from everyone else. You really have to make an effort to not make friends in med school, since everyone wants to get to know each other.

That is very comforting to hear! I feel like in college if you want to see someone, you have to actively make a plan, or otherwise you'll never see them again.

I think Orientation is a big part of it. A good number of social events are packed into those first few days. It seems like you won't be able to hide, unless you actively try. Find a couple decent people you feel comfortable-ish around, and navigate from there. (...or at least this is what I plan on doing)

You'll find your people, don't worry. Through group activities and mixers and other bull****, you find the ones.

Yeah I've decided that I really have to force myself to be social during orientation. I'm not shy, but I'm introverted enough that socializing makes me absolutely exhausted, so I tend to avoid it. I guess it's a good idea to try to make friends through organized activities rather than like going out to a club or bar or something.

Invite everyone over for an ice cream social. :)

That is very comforting to hear! I feel like in college if you want to see someone, you have to actively make a plan, or otherwise you'll never see them again.

Yeah I've decided that I really have to force myself to be social during orientation. I'm not shy, but I'm introverted enough that socializing makes me absolutely exhausted, so I tend to avoid it. I guess it's a good idea to try to make friends through organized activities rather than like going out to a club or bar or something.

I'd give the bar scene a chance. Way more laid-back than a club. I'm betting you'll like it more than you think.

+100000

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd give the bar scene a chance. Way more laid-back than a club. I'm betting you'll like it more than you think.

Yeah I should try it out, maybe. I always avoided stuff like that because I was never a drinker, like I literally never had an alcoholic drink until after I was 21. And I still don't drink to get drunk, but I'll have a drink or two, so maybe I wouldn't feel that uncomfortable being in a bar.

As my childhood friend Winnie the Pooh said, "You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes."

I've become quite skilled at luring people with a charming facade, you can PM me for tips.

Reactions: 21 users
I need to learn how to be pro-active.
You already know what to do :). Some other things to consider:

1) Be yourself! Pretending to be someone you're not won't be doing yourself any favors in the long run. People appreciate genuineness. Med school tends to be the time when most people mature and stop caring so much about others' opinion. At the end of the day, you want to meet people who like you for who you are, and not who you are trying to be.
2) Be curious: While it is tempting to start studying 24/7 for anatomy the first week, make time to know where other people are from and what their interests are. To state the obvious, first impressions are everything.
3) Be positive: People are more likely to want to know you if you're always friendly and not complaining. Also, nothing smells friendship like helping a stranger remove adipose tissue and fascia in the evenings.
4) Avoid drama: It's toxic--don't contribute to the conversation when people talk behind other people's back.
5) Be open: Resist the urge to say 'no' when someone invites you to an event, especially early on. For each 'no' that you give, make an effort to go out to another social event. If there aren't social events that suit your personality, try organizing one yourself. The great thing about med school is that there are plenty of introverts and extroverts.
6) Be patient: The best friendships may not happen overnight, so be patient.
7) Be realistic: Realize that you can't be everyone's friend and don't force yourself to be. And be wary of people who may abuse your kindness.

Reactions: 7 users
You have class with the same 100-200 people all day every day. There are always the people with friends in that town or those who went to the university with their own friends, but for the most part everyone is in the same spot, in a new place, with new people.

Plus there are so many orientation week things that force you all to be friends that its really not that hard.

You'll meet people at orientation. You'll make friends who sit near you in class, small groups, PBL, anatomy labs, test seating. Honestly just relax and don't worry about it.Be chilled out, friendly, smile. Help people out. We are all in the same position.

So to recap I'm going to be the coolest kid in town when I show up at orientation with free Step I qbooks for everyone, right?

Reactions: 9 users
Lol I just read the entire Wikipedia page about Jeffrey Dahmer so NTY.
tumblr_n9k1whIbpO1qdwi0zo1_500.gif

Just don't open with that line, literally ever.

A lot of good advice here already, one thing I can add is joining a study group. In my experience these often are very good ways to get closer to people in med school.
My best friends in med school are those in my study group.

You are going to meet some really amazing people. Everyone will have a unique story and be intelligent. However, you are going to run into some students who are gunners, arrogant, antisocial, awkward, and anxious. Be nice, accepting and welcoming of EVERYONE, but when you find friends who are laid back and have your back - stick with them. Roll with a crew who is not going to provoke anxiety and stress, but help melt it away.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you everyone! I was having a pretty crappy night, someone I thought was my friend kind of betrayed me, so that's why I was stressing out about making new friends in med school. But I feel comforted after reading all of your posts. :)

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

I think Im going to throw a party at my place the week of orientation to meet fellow students.