How to make late switch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lastminutewaffler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
DO student, Step 1 245+, Comlex 600+ and just somewhat tanked level 2 - Step 2 230's, comlex 2 mid 500's. Posted elsewhere under a different SDN board...My big issue is I haven't been able to figure out which specialty to go for. I am very well versed in EM and have read these boards for years. I definitely know step 2 is a big deal and that I fumbled on that, but my huge issue is I don't have any EM rotations set up as I was strongly considering a different specialty. Now here I am in August of 4th year trying to scramble to put together a rotation and get at least one EM letter. How should I best go about this? I have no geographic restrictions for residency and don't care if it's MD or DO. I just want a spot somewhere, obviously I would prefer a good program but I'm nervous I shot myself in the foot with my poor planning. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply everywhere, MD/DO. This is not the time to save money on application fees. Even if you are not on a formal rotation, if there is an EM residency in the area, contact them, say you're interested, and ask if you can shadow/come in on extra days off/weekends/nights to meet them and see what they're program is like.

Do whatever you need to to get a rotation ASAP.

Some, but not all places, may ask you about that drop in scores, so be prepared with a good answer for that question.

Reactions: 1 users
Unless the scoring has changed dramatically I think 230s is far from tanking, and in fact is insulting for people who scored in that range. (and for the record, I scored very well on step 2... It's just I find it really annoying when people thoughtlessly say stuff like this. It's obnoxious and oblivious.)

Reactions: 1 user
Unless the scoring has changed dramatically I think 230s is far from tanking, and in fact is insulting for people who scored in that range. (and for the record, I scored very well on step 2... It's just I find it really annoying when people thoughtlessly say stuff like this. It's obnoxious and oblivious.)
It's sdn, brah.

Definitely not tanking. That said, it is below the average of 243 for students who successfully matched into EM.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf

do your home program ASAP. offer to do weekends, etc. to get an attending to know you. find EM rotations in october, november. be willing to do december ultrasound "away" rotations

Agreed. Add to this attending ACOEP and ACEP's conferences this fall to plead your case face-to-face. At this point, not having any SLOEs is worse than your board performance.
Ok so getting a SLOE asap, hopefully by October, would make a considerable difference to my application? Would a SLOE in late October help at all?