How to make myself stand out when I have a low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wolverine93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a GPA that is slightly under a 3.0. My science GPA is around a 2.5.

I have graduated already, but I'm working on a DIY post bacc with upper level science classes and retaking classes that I didn't do so hot in.

I'm aware I'm going to be competing with students who are really strong academically. I was wondering if there is any way for me to make myself stand out.

I know research is a common thing admissions look for, and I have worked in an animal research lab for about 2.5 years. I'm also doing clinical research currently. I don't have any publications though.

I was involved in several clubs as an undergrad. I worked with UNICEF, I was president of a healthcare and social justice oriented club, and I facilitated social justice dialogues for a conference. I did volunteer at a hospice for some time but not as long as I would have liked.

I am hoping to begin a nursing assistant job in the fall for clinical experience and I will also shadow more physicians- I don't have too much of that experience right now.

Is there anything I can do to make myself stand out so I can get accepted at some point?

Members don't see this ad.

Get a very high MCAT score.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know how much time you have left before you apply, but try a crank our a journal article by any means necessary. Beg your PI to even let you include a figure in a paper. 4th author is better than no author!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how much time you have left before you apply, but try a crank our a journal article by any means necessary. Beg your PI to even let you include a figure in a paper. 4th author is better than no author!

A pub isn't going to make a difference in a low stat applicant. Low stat applicants are compared to other low stat applicants on the basis of which of them is most likely not to fail out of med school.

I'd go for more basic things, great ECs, good MCAT, things like that... A publication isn't going to change your ability to get into medical school. I worked in biotech research for almost 15 years, and I never published anything, I still matriculated... Find some really great volunteer opportunities that add to your ability to say why you want to go to medical school. Homeless shelters, food shelves, low-cost clinics, things like that. Stories in your secondaries from places like that help, and if they can add to your personal statement all the better! Keep working on your GPA, I moved my 2.78c to a 3.25c/s and had more than one acceptance (26Q).

I was not trying to imply that it would would make or break his or her application. What I meant is that if it is a possibility that it could be one thing that ends up separating OP when an ADCOM is trying to decide between him/her and another applicant with similar credentials. A publication shows that you know how to effectively communicate your understanding of the science, which is obviously a crucial skill.

On the other hand, I most certainly do not disagree that the biggest favor you can do yourself is to study for the MCAT like your life depends on it. Treat it like a job. 6-8 hours a day. There is a lot of hype about the MCAT, but there is really only one true way to do well. Study, study, study. Sure there are the geniuses in this world who will study for 3 weeks and get a 39, but for the rest of us it comes down to how much effort you are willing to put in. The majority of people on this board are smart people and are all capable of scoring well. What separates those who score a 30 and those who score 36+ is how dedicated and efficient they are.

I was not trying to imply that it would would make or break his or her application. What I meant is that if it is a possibility that it could be one thing that ends up separating OP when an ADCOM is trying to decide between him/her and another applicant with similar credentials. A publication shows that you know how to effectively communicate your understanding of the science, which is obviously a crucial skill.

On the other hand, I most certainly do not disagree that the biggest favor you can do yourself is to study for the MCAT like your life depends on it. Treat it like a job. 6-8 hours a day. There is a lot of hype about the MCAT, but there is really only one true way to do well. Study, study, study. Sure there are the geniuses in this world who will study for 3 weeks and get a 39, but for the rest of us it comes down to how much effort you are willing to put in. The majority of people on this board are smart people and are all capable of scoring well. What separates those who score a 30 and those who score 36+ is how dedicated and efficient they are.

Time spent trying to publish is time lost on getting a 4.0 and a 35+ MCAT. Yes, a pub would be nice, but he can't waste time on non-essential aspects of the application. Priorities, young premed.

Appreciate the condescending remark, but besides that, to get your name on a publication is pretty damn easy. My first publication, from my undergrad years, literally has one figure in it that I created in about 3 hours (obviously I wasn't the first author). Though I may not be a medical student, I am certainly not an ignorant, young child. PhDs are kind of hard to get too ;), especially when you do them in 4 years.

Appreciate the condescending remark, but besides that, to get your name on a publication is pretty damn easy. My first publication, from my undergrad years, literally has one figure in it that I created in about 3 hours (obviously I wasn't the first author). Though I may not be a medical student, I am certainly not an ignorant, young child. PhDs are kind of hard to get too ;), especially when you do them in 4 years.

So you're a premed with a PhD, congrats. I was one of those premeds who thought I knew as much as med students too. Should you find your way in you'll understand all this much differently in a year.

A very high MCAT score only makes the applicant even more high risk. A recent sustained series of A's in challenging courses is much more convincing.

I assumed the OP already planned as much since they mentioned a DIY PB. OP did not mention anything about prepping for the MCAT, however. Kind of like an obese patient coming in and telling you about their new workout plan, but not saying a thing about dietary changes. Both are important, but gotta mention the diet to make sure patient knows that exercise alone isn't enough.

I assumed the OP already planned as much since they mentioned a DIY PB. OP did not mention anything about prepping for the MCAT, however. Kind of like an obese patient coming in and telling you about their new workout plan, but not saying a thing about dietary changes. Both are important, but gotta mention the diet to make sure patient knows that exercise alone isn't enough.
You are correct in observing that one without the other does not usually help.

Reactions: 1 user
You will need to ace all your post-bac courses, and then ace MCAT as well. A high MCAT alone doesn't make up for a poor GPA.

Luckily there are MD schools that reward reinvention. DO schools, even more so.

I have graduated already, but I'm working on a DIY post bacc with upper level science classes and retaking classes that I didn't do so hot in.

I'm aware I'm going to be competing with students who are really strong academically. I was wondering if there is any way for me to make myself stand out.

I know research is a common thing admissions look for, and I have worked in an animal research lab for about 2.5 years. I'm also doing clinical research currently. I don't have any publications though.

I was involved in several clubs as an undergrad. I worked with UNICEF, I was president of a healthcare and social justice oriented club, and I facilitated social justice dialogues for a conference. I did volunteer at a hospice for some time but not as long as I would have liked.

I am hoping to begin a nursing assistant job in the fall for clinical experience and I will also shadow more physicians- I don't have too much of that experience right now.

Is there anything I can do to make myself stand out so I can get accepted at some point?

MCAT and acing courses, for sure, but have you considered looking into CME courses? Great way to get some hands-on experience and some offer certification credits.

You will need to ace all your post-bac courses, and then ace MCAT as well. A high MCAT alone doesn't make up for a poor GPA.

Luckily there are MD schools that reward reinvention. DO schools, even more so.
This.

Unfortunately, OP, you are going to stand out all right with that GPA, and not in a good way. Work on standing out less by amassing a good post bac track record, not trying to stand out more by some kind of obvious gimmicky ploy like trying to get your name on a paper.

Get a very high MCAT score.
Disagree. Even with a high MCAT, this person would be an automatic rejection. They need to change the perception that their low GPA left by a strong post-bacc performance and possibly an SMP.

Best thing to do is get enough A's in re-takes and upper-level courses to get your DO GPA up to a competitive level, over 3.5 would be good. MD is possible, but I definitely wouldn't bank on it with a sub-3.0 cGPA and a 2.5 sGPA with a full 4 years of courses. Maybe if you have almost no science courses you could get a very impressive sGPA with a strong post-bac, but since you mentioned you are focusing on upper-levels, I get the impression your 2.5 is reflective of multiple semesters worth of science courses you did poorly in.

Good luck! You face a steep road ahead if you will be competitive.

P.S. notice I didn't talk about ECs helping you to stand out at all, because they won't get you into medical school.....

I feel bad for saying this, but I must. Getting your name on a publication should not be this easy and you were very lucky your PI allowed this (I have also heard a similar scenario in the past myself). You're giving the wrong impression of the level of work needed to be an author on a publication. This is not enough of an intellectual contribution to warrant an authorship. This kind of work is at the point of an acknowledgement on a paper.

Considering that you have a PhD, I am sure you have had first author publications as well. Were these as easy as that pub in undergrad? I pretty sure the answer is no and this is how it should be. People need to contribute a large part of the project and on top of knowing the project inside and out in order to truly be an author.

Last edited:
I'm doing my post bacc because my undergrad science career was a hot mess. I majored in Neuroscience and took plenty of sciences but did poorly in them.

There were some that I did well in (such as neurobiology and p chem and some basic bio courses) but the overall trend is that my science grades were ugly.

I couldn't get into any kind of post bacc program or SMP with my grades obviously so I'm just doing a DIY post bacc at a local university. I'm hoping to take around 24 credits this year and do really well in my classes. I'm just trying to go slow and figure out how to do well.

With 24 credits even I'm not competitive and I know that. Should I apply to post bacc and SMP programs after this year? I figure those have to be better to get into than med school directly. I need a two year post bacc.

Could I have a chance at a post bacc program at least with my year of courses and an improved MCAT? I just want to use my time effectively to get into medical school.
Or should I just stay at the university I'm currently at? The thing is I've taken so many science courses that I don't know how many options I have available here after this year- it isn't a very big school or anything.

Any advice would be helpful!

I'd go for more basic things, great ECs, good MCAT, things like that... A publication isn't going to change your ability to get into medical school. I worked in biotech research for almost 15 years, and I never published anything, I still matriculated... Find some really great volunteer opportunities that add to your ability to say why you want to go to medical school. Homeless shelters, food shelves, low-cost clinics, things like that. Stories in your secondaries from places like that help, and if they can add to your personal statement all the better! Keep working on your GPA, I moved my 2.78c to a 3.25c/s and had more than one acceptance (26Q).
Inspiring I hope I bump my GPA like you did

Answer to your question: You can "stand out" by doing something different than most other applicants. If you want to stand out in a good way, take a look at the AMCAS application and decide where your opportunity lies.

But more importantly...

Compensate for that GPA: Get A's in post bacc work, even if that means hiring tutors and pre-studying with free online classes. Save yourself from auto-reject! Then, hire a tutor and get at least a 30 on the MCAT. If you want to, look ahead at the AMCAS application, at secondaries for the schools you want to apply to, and search around for interview questions. Prepare yourself, plan your story, plan your answers, pre-write essays. Good luck!

get both your GPAs up big time (>3.0 for both if possible--depending on how many science classes you've already taken this might require some grade replacement (for DO)). you can do the retake at a community college. hire a tutor for the MCAT and any class you are struggling in. worth the money. do a ton of clinical stuff (incl as much shadowing as possible), as u mentioned you're going to do. good luck.

Retaking courses and eventually applying DO only would be your best bet.