How to pick between schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemgrl5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to two medical schools, which I am thrilled about as this is my second time applying, but I am having a really hard time choosing which one to go to. I have been accepted to U of MN which is my in-state school and also to Rosalind Franklin. I liked RF as a school better and I would really like to go somewhere new for medical school. However, U of MN is a great school (rankings) and it would get a great deal on tuition. Do I go with rankings (if they even matter that much) or with where I feel the most comfortable? If anyone has any input on how they are deciding or what they think is the most important things to consider when deciding, I would appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also fortunate to have to choose between two schools, both of which are in my state. People have told me I'm crazy for favoring the state school instead of the private one, but I have to block out the noise and go with my gut feeling.

Since you're leaning more towards the more expensive school, I would go for a second look. Check out the area; North Chicago isn't Chicago proper, so you'd be pretty far removed from real city life.

I would go with your gut instinct on this decision... pick the school that you think you would be the happiest at, provided that it would allow you to meet your career goals. Just curious, what did you like about RFU? I interviewed there in november (?) and found very little to "write home about"... one man's treasure...

Personally, I'd go with U of Mn, but thats just me...

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
chemgrl5 said:
I have been accepted to two medical schools, which I am thrilled about as this is my second time applying, but I am having a really hard time choosing which one to go to. I have been accepted to U of MN which is my in-state school and also to Rosalind Franklin. I liked RF as a school better and I would really like to go somewhere new for medical school. However, U of MN is a great school (rankings) and it would get a great deal on tuition. Do I go with rankings (if they even matter that much) or with where I feel the most comfortable? If anyone has any input on how they are deciding or what they think is the most important things to consider when deciding, I would appreciate the help.

I would pick U of MN over RFU. Just my opinion though. Cheaper tuition, better school overal, higher rankings, probably easier to get a MN residency, nicer facilities, etc. Also there was an accreditation issue at RFU. Either school you choose you will be an MD after 4 years!

and so the quarter was invented

why aren't you considering Tulane? you got accepted there too, right?
-mota

drmota said:
why aren't you considering Tulane? you got accepted there too, right?
-mota
I decided to decline my acceptance to Tulane because I liked the other schools better and I personally felt like there would be too much going on with all of the rebuilding of the city and the changes with the medical school. Someone who is more excited about the school deserves my spot.

I think another important consideration would have to be residency affiliations... outside of gen surg, IM, and a few others, rfu has none. UofMn probably has a ton... so, come match time having these home programs to make connections with might help... a lot.

just my 2 centavos.

Make a pros and cons list, Friends-style :).

socuteMD said:
Make a pros and cons list, Friends-style :).

Always go with your heart, flip a coin and however it comes out, you'll be either be happy or sad, thats your answer.

KAI1927 said:
Always go with your heart, flip a coin and however it comes out, you'll be either be happy or sad, thats your answer.

If you really can't decide, I would go to wherever is cheaper. Since this also happens to be the higher ranked (or only ranked ;) ) school, you cant lose.

Then again, I always thought it would be super-cool to throw a "decision" party and at the end you announce heads is school X and tails is school Y, then you flip a coin in front of everybody superbowl-style. Then you celebrate.

Zoom-Zoom said:
If you really can't decide, I would go to wherever is cheaper. Since this also happens to be the higher ranked (or only ranked ;) ) school, you cant lose.
:thumbup:

You might wanna ask current students what they think. Something I would also consider is which school is P/F. Other then that there is no reason to pay more for banna republic suit when you can get an armani one for less.

chemgrl5 said:
I liked RF as a school better and I would really like to go somewhere new for medical school.

If you're going to select the more expensive, lower-ranked school based on the vibe you got during your interview, please step into my office.