How to pick schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CHOPSTIX

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you guys pick your schools? I'm soo confused because I haven't taken the PCAT yet (I'm planning on taking it in Oct)

Members don't see this ad.

I choose which pharmacy school to apply to based on region, 3 yr vs 4 yr, and curriculum (block vs. traditional). Other people base it on reputation, family, friends, etc.

in state vs out of state.......b/c instate students get preference in most states for pharmacy schools....

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm fottunate in living in a state that has many great pharmacy schools that don't require you to use pharmcas so it was an easy decision.

I put the names of all the pharmacy schools on pieces of paper, stick them all in a hat, then close my eyes and chose one.

Picking a school, is based on personal preference. You should like the school setting, the curriculum, feel comfortable, and be willing to spend the next 3-4 years there and enjoy it. In-state and out-of-state definitely plays a role as well, but just make sure you're definitely willing to go for 3-4 years, cause it would be a shame to get into that particular school and hate it there.

I'm fottunate in living in a state that has many great pharmacy schools that don't require you to use pharmcas so it was an easy decision.

Is it true that it is easier to get into non-pharmcas schools than pharmcas schools? If so, why?

I, too, am in the process of picking schools. :confused:

Is it true that it is easier to get into non-pharmcas schools than pharmcas schools? If so, why?

I, too, am in the process of picking schools. :confused:

'Tis easier to apply to a Pharmcas school, so non-pharmcas schools typically get less applications.

This is what I am gonna do.Look at schools averages (GPA,PCAT) also whether school looks at your extracurriculars and takes them into account. And of course look at the location.

whats the logic behind CA not requirung pharmcas for acceptance? is their any? or is it just a simple preference to not use it? thank you.

whats the logic behind CA not requirung pharmcas for acceptance? is their any? or is it just a simple preference to not use it? thank you.
Most of the CA schools require the PharmCAS application... If you meant the PCAT I have no idea why, but I'm not going to complain. :laugh:

For the OP, my decision was based mostly on location and length of study.

For me, the decision was about (in no particular order):

1. Location
2. Tuition
3. Elective offerings
4. Curriculum (there are subtle differences between schools)
5. Extracurriculars (I want to have a litttle fun)
6. Residency placement
7. Rotation options.

Here's what I did:

I wanted to stay in my home state. All the schools in my state have pretty much the same pre-reqs. The first two years, I applied to my home state schools, got interviews, but didn't get in anywhere.

After two years, I was really tired of not getting accepted so I started looking at other schools. The first step, I went through Pharmcas school pages and wrote down the name of every school where I currently had enough pre-reqs to get accepted. Then, I looked for schools where I lacked a few of the pre-reqs, but could finish them by the time I applied next time. For my third step, I looked at how much tuition was at each school. I had a reasonable limit as to how much I was willing to spend on tuition alone. Then I considered the cost of living at each of those places in relation to their tuition vs. tuition and cost of living at other locations. I was then able to narrow down my list to about a dozen schools including my home state schools. NAPLEX passing rate, and reputation of the school also played a part in my decision.

I did get accepted to my first choice for out of state schools!! GO REBELS!!!

I was planning on going to UT in Austin, TX but when I found out about the new school here in San Antonio, I started looking into that. I was in the Army for 8 years and I really hate moving. Since I am from SA, I wouldn't have to move to go to school. Plus, it's a new school and I can be a part of building a solid new professional school in my home which will improve the city. I helped start Kappa Psi and am the founding regent, and I'm helping to start up NCPA. How many opportunities to start up a new chapter for a pharmacy frat or other pharmacy student org are there except for a new school? Plus, the dean has started one other school from the ground up and converted another from RPh to PharmD. She sat on the board for ACPE, so she knows what it takes to get accredited and I have no doubt we will when the first class sits for the boards in 2010. Oh yeah, and I live five miles away from the school. :D

Following the logic of Omnione, if you're forward looking, the post-grad options are very important with regards to where you end up.

Don't sell yourself short and here's a few other things that factored into some schools that I applied to out-of-state.

1) Staff courtesy (over the phone, conversations, etc)
2) Tuition cost increases in coming years
3) Avg. Rent costs in surrounding area
4) Intellectual diversity, outside of req'd Pharm courses
5) Accessibility to school - can you walk to classes instead of shelling out $5/gal?

Hope that helps.

This is what I am gonna do.Look at schools averages (GPA,PCAT) also whether school looks at your extracurriculars and takes them into account. And of course look at the location.
how do you find out if a school looks at extracurriculars? I know avg GPA/PCAT is on pharmcas

I would look at:

1. The average GPA + Scores of those that get in (and then compare to yours)
2. The ratings of the school
3. The curriculum
4. Location

With all of this, the tuition must also be reasonable. You do not want to go into debt.....because there are people who spend 20 + years paying off college debts...

Location is the most important for me, as I would like to stay close to home. I looked at schools within 5 hours driving distance. Then I chose schools that I would be able to apply to for matriculation in Fall '09 (take into account what necessary prereqs I would need to have finished, if they allow summer classes, etc.) That eliminated my pool of schools down to two.

Both schools are reputable, but private. I don't worry too much about tuition because I figured scholarships/loans would take care of it.

After that, I didn't really look at anything else. If at least one of the two schools accepts me, then I'll be happy enough.

how do you find out if a school looks at extracurriculars? I know avg GPA/PCAT is on pharmcas

Uuum some of the schools state that on the requirements/admission page of the university . You have to look for it cause it's really something that's easy to miss. I think I saw something on the university of Iowa page.