How to Prep for Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metaxzen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings New Friends:

First off, I have to say thank you. I've been lurking on this forum for a few weeks and I have learned a ton. I have reconnected with some old college professors and we're starting to get a plan together to get me into a good Clinical Psych MA program for fall of 2016. My first step is I need a stats class. I was a liberal arts guy undergrad and my masters is in education so I am weak in the math department. I'm 32 and a bit away from anything that involves something more complex than figuring out an 18% tip.

So, I'm going to take a stats class soon but before I do I need some advice: How should I be preparing for an undergraduate level statistics class?

Thank you!
- Anthony

Members don't see this ad.

Kahn academy has some good videos for statistics. It's all free online tutorials and they have a quite a few

Reactions: 1 users
How weak in math?

For an undergrad stats class, if you can do basic arithmetic (add/subtract/multiple/divide), know how to read and generate graphs, and have basic competency with things like logarithms and algebra (i.e. stuff from 6-7th grade) you should be fine. You need a general comfort level with computers and it would be helpful if you have some comfort with programming. You don't by any means have to be a good programmer, you just have to know enough to not freak out at the idea you might have to write syntax;)

Advanced coursework requires things like calculus and matrix algebra, but even at the graduate level there are VERY few psychologists who understand stats at that level. I've generally been treated as the resident "stats geek" throughout grad school and my knowledge of matrix algebra is absolutely piss poor.

Honestly, unless you are REALLY behind in math you probably don't need to do much prep. Even if you don't remember things like logs, but remember it enough you can refresh your memory if/when it comes up you should be fine. If you really want to do some prep, they do make really basic statistics workbooks you can buy at places like Barnes & Noble - usually geared towards the high school level.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would buy the book your course will be using and begin working through it. If you can access the syllabus you will be following, use that as a guide

How weak in math?

For an undergrad stats class, if you can do basic arithmetic (add/subtract/multiple/divide), know how to read and generate graphs, and have basic competency with things like logarithms and algebra (i.e. stuff from 6-7th grade) you should be fine.

Ollie123 - I really appreciate the reply (from the others too! Thank you!). I'm rusty but I am comfortable with the basics of algebra, I'll have to brush up on logarithms. This gives me some more confidence, I was worried that wasn't enough!

Thank you again!
- Anthony

I would buy the book your course will be using and begin working through it. If you can access the syllabus you will be following, use that as a guide
This is what I decided to do a couple days ago!

Remember, there is a difference in doing well enough to pass, but if you want an A, you should prob get the book you will use for class.

Last edited:
Well..good news..I'm finding undergrad stats (at least part 1 of 2), fairly easy. My class as a whole did pretty bad though..mean was 60%.

Strange thing as well..I actually enjoy the class. Nice change from all that memorizing.

Coursera is another option. They offer all sorts of classes online. I have only used it once for an MRI course and it was very good. I'm not a big fan of online learning, but it should be free (if you just audit and don't want a certificate/credit). I bought the publication associated w my course and the instructors offered it as a "Pay/donate what you think is fair". Again, I'm not sure if this is typical for Coursera, but my N=1 was quite positive.

I think a lot of people overestimate statistics. Me being a undergrad, I am currently enrolled in Applied Statistics. This class I have is with a awesome professor who loves teaching the content and dumbs it down a lot. Like the other say, you need to be able to do basic calculations (like multiplication [yes, a lot of multiplication] and be able to graph) and another thing is that you'd need to be able to conceptualize the topics and apply it to your experiment (this is if you are taking applied stats). The experience I have with my stats class is so great that it is making me consider doing a statistics minor or taking a few classes in stats (this coming from a dude that HATES math in general). Another thing that should be told is for students to remove the notion that statistics=math because to be honest it is partly math and partly conceptually.

If you pay attention to the professor, embrace the professors teaching and the course content, and do every assignment/put the extra effort into passing stats, you will definitely pass and heck maybe you will appreciate statistics as much as I do and others do.

Well..good news..I'm finding undergrad stats (at least part 1 of 2), fairly easy. My class as a whole did pretty bad though..mean was 60%.

Strange thing as well..I actually enjoy the class. Nice change from all that memorizing.

I have the same experience you are having psych844. Most of my class is either doing bad or hate it while I'm like "yes!! I got a 85". Also I help a lot of my fellow classmates understand the course content so I'm learning and teaching haha