How to prep for upcoming MCAT in one month

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hrastio24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm panicking now because I just tried to reschedule but have been unable to move my Nov 7th date to Janurary because there are no open spots. I haven't started studying yet so now I need some desperate advice on what to do. Should I even bother with content review or just move straight to official MCAT practice tests? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This all depends on your background academically, have you done well in pre-reqs? If so, how long ago? First thing is first, you NEED to take a FL asap....people start with AAMC 3, but thats been agreed to be the easiest....based on that if you do want to do "content review", the only prep material worth looking at during this time frame is EK package, all the books combined I believe there are 28 chapters...you can easily do them in 2 weeks max, 2 chapters a day. Then move onto FLs....test one day, and review the next.....

Do I recommend this? HELL NO....getting a bad mcat score, and if you have to take it again in Jan 2015, you will do yourself no favors.....

Please think wisely....MCAT is a difficult exam, people usually spend about 3-6 months for this. I was scheduled for Nov 7. But I want a good score, so I scheduled it out to Jan 2015, and yes I may have to fly to take it....but this bought me 3 additional months, in addition to my previous 3 months....

This all depends on your background academically, have you done well in pre-reqs? If so, how long ago? First thing is first, you NEED to take a FL asap....people start with AAMC 3, but thats been agreed to be the easiest....based on that if you do want to do "content review", the only prep material worth looking at during this time frame is EK package, all the books combined I believe there are 28 chapters...you can easily do them in 2 weeks max, 2 chapters a day. Then move onto FLs....test one day, and review the next.....

Do I recommend this? HELL NO....getting a bad mcat score, and if you have to take it again in Jan 2015, you will do yourself no favors.....

Please think wisely....MCAT is a difficult exam, people usually spend about 3-6 months for this. I was scheduled for Nov 7. But I want a good score, so I scheduled it out to Jan 2015, and yes I may have to fly to take it....but this bought me 3 additional months, in addition to my previous 3 months....
When did you reschedule it?

Whether or not you should test in Nov.

Are you completely sure that you are NOT ready for Nov. 7 right now?

If you are not entirely sure, take an AAMC practice test to see if you're score is okay. If so, review until Nov. 7th and take that test.

Rescheduling

If you are sure that you're NOT ready, OR if your AAMC practice test score says you are NOT ready, then keep trying to schedule a January test. Maybe a seat will open up. It is possible that a seat may open up somewhere other than your first choice location. If it is possible for you to travel, you might consider that. Then, once rescheduled to January at your less-desirable location, you can continue to check back to see if a seat opens up at your first choice location.

Preparing

If you are scoring below 20 on a couple AAMC practice tests, you almost certainly will NOT be ready in a month no matter what. You almost certainly will be fine for January IF you 1. find a good tutor, 2. use Examkrackers for science and AAMC for verbal, and 3. work your butt off.

If you are consistently scoring 8's and below in any section, you will probably NOT be ready by Nov. January should be fine if you work hard, etc.

If you are scoring around 30, and want to be scoring above 35, you might be ready by January, but NOT by Nov.

If you are scoring just a couple points (2-3) below your target score on AAMC tests, you might be ready by Nov., but you better get an excellent tutor.

Hope this helps you.