How to prepare after getting accepted??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eugpeng

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. I just wanted to ask the people who are in dental school what to do to prepare for first year of dental school. I start school in August and don't wanna get my butt kicked in the first year classes. Any courses or topics to review before starting? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do anything. Really.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't smoke weed or cocaine. You want that drug test to come up squeaky clean.

Reactions: 1 user
I smoke pixie sticks, but only when I'm trying to get rowdy.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They drug test for professional school? What?

I sure as hell don't plan on skipping residency, and as long as I can find someone who is willing to not only be impregnated by me but also put up with me long enough to raise children, I don't plan on skipping parenthood either.

Cheers to pregnancy and residency then. Let's defy death now

I don't believe that many do. I mean, if you're doing meth or smoking crack chances are it's going to interfere with your ability to complete the program and be obvious, but a little quality time with Mary Jane on Friday nights is not going to get you in trouble and I highly doubt they'll take umbrage with what you do with your personal life. Provided they don't test. Which I'm almost positive is the case, at least for my school.

Well if I ran a dental school, I would start drug testing students once they began doing procedures on living humans. Hospitals drug test their staff. Why shouldn't dental schools? Patient health is at stake. There are many addicts that function well at work, until they don't. If your job involves being directly responsible for the lives of others (doctors, nurses, pilots, bus drivers, etc.), then you need to stay sober/clean unless you want a lawsuit or blood on your hands.

(Whether or not marijuana should be considered acceptable at certain levels is another debate.)

Sorry, I should've clarified. By no means do I think it's acceptable to be interacting with patients when you're high, I just meant when you're not with patients.

I think you and I clearly agree on this issue outside of the use of marijuana, which, as you said, is another debate. Random drug testing of dental students for amphetamines (I would like this simply because it would root out Adderall use among people without a Rx), barbiturates, narcotics, amphetamines, Rx drug abuse etc, would be something I could definitely support, at least in theory. The problem is that tests do not detect use from as long ago as they do for marijuana. So if somebody lucks out and has their random drug test two weeks after they were using while working on a patient, it goes undetected. Schools could use their own discretion and judgement to overlook a marijuana positive if that's the only thing that came up on the screen; I just think that in today's world, many of them wouldn't look past it.

I just have a problem with the demonizing of marijuana use/users (not accusing you of doing this nor implying you hold these views). Ideally, every car in the world would come with one of those breathalyzer things that prevent the car from starting if you blow over a .08. Having a breathlyzer when you enter/exit your office (dentist) or hospital (nurse/PA/APRN/physician) would definitely keep people safe, and in an ideal world it would exist and I'd support it. This will probably will never happen though, as safe as it would keep us. I guess your point brings up a larger debate of personal liberties vs safety that I'd be glad to discuss back and forth, as I find it very interesting.

Moral of the story: Yes, there are instances where people have struggles with drug addictions that clearly jeopardize patient safety. I would definitely advocate for ways to catch offenders and keep patients safe without penalizing health care providers for what they do on their own time that in no way, shape, or form harms patients.
Breathalyzers like that for cars have lots of issues. Some shut down if you've used mouthwash. That'd cause some issues for dental students lol

But I think some dental schools do drug test you once you begin clinic. Maybe not. Thought I saw that somewhere but it probably depends on the school. I'm sure in the abundance of things they have you sign, one of them is your consent to drug testing.

Get a head start collecting teeth!

Some schools have already sent out info regarding recommended solutions for collection jars, others have not. If your school hasn't sent anything out, see if you can ask an upperclassman on the schools' Facebook page.

I've been struggling to find multiple offices that don't already have jars reserved for other students. Not sure if this is limited to big cities or if it happens everywhere.

Some schools have already sent out info regarding recommended solutions for collection jars, others have not. If your school hasn't sent anything out, see if you can ask an upperclassman on the schools' Facebook page.

I've been struggling to find multiple offices that don't already have jars reserved for other students. Not sure if this is limited to big cities or if it happens everywhere.
**** I forgot that was a thing. Good call lol

Sorry, I should've clarified. By no means do I think it's acceptable to be interacting with patients when you're high, I just meant when you're not with patients.

I think you and I clearly agree on this issue outside of the use of marijuana, which, as you said, is another debate. Random drug testing of dental students for amphetamines (I would like this simply because it would root out Adderall use among people without a Rx), barbiturates, narcotics, amphetamines, Rx drug abuse etc, would be something I could definitely support, at least in theory. The problem is that tests do not detect use from as long ago as they do for marijuana. So if somebody lucks out and has their random drug test two weeks after they were using while working on a patient, it goes undetected. Schools could use their own discretion and judgement to overlook a marijuana positive if that's the only thing that came up on the screen; I just think that in today's world, many of them wouldn't look past it.

I just have a problem with the demonizing of marijuana use/users (not accusing you of doing this nor implying you hold these views). Ideally, every car in the world would come with one of those breathalyzer things that prevent the car from starting if you blow over a .08. Having a breathlyzer when you enter/exit your office (dentist) or hospital (nurse/PA/APRN/physician) would definitely keep people safe, and in an ideal world it would exist and I'd support it. This will probably will never happen though, as safe as it would keep us. I guess your point brings up a larger debate of personal liberties vs safety that I'd be glad to discuss back and forth, as I find it very interesting.

Moral of the story: Yes, there are instances where people have struggles with drug addictions that clearly jeopardize patient safety. I would definitely advocate for ways to catch offenders and keep patients safe without penalizing health care providers for what they do on their own time that in no way, shape, or form harms patients.

Haha no I didn't think you were arguing that it's okay to be high in clinic. I was just stating my opinion that drug tests should be mandatory for students that have made it to clinic, and in a roundabout way, my confusion as to why this isn't already the case (unless it is).

Hair drug tests usually go back 90 days.

Can you elaborate on what this means? Sorry I've just never heard of this before

just booked my 9 day vacation in the Caribbean :D

as @changtw said, start collecting tooth. One jar for permanent teeth without cavities and another jaw with cavities. No 3rd molars tho, they are pretty much useless..
If you can, you want to collect A LOT of those sound permanent teeth, which you will eventually need for CDCA or WREB and in endo class.

In terms of academics, seriously, don't do anything. We just finished a 8 finals exam block within 11 days and although we knew our schedule for months ahead, we still got our butts kicked.
The best thing you can do is relax and let your brain rest, until you get bombarded by massive amount of info.
Congrats and enjoy your time until you start dental schooll.

Reactions: 4 users
as @changtw said, start collecting tooth. One jar for permanent teeth without cavities and another jaw with cavities. No 3rd molars tho, they are pretty much useless..
If you can, you want to collect A LOT of those sound permanent teeth, which you will eventually need for CDCA or WREB and in endo class.
How would you go about doing this? Just asking every dentist/oral surgeon you can find and hope they haven't promised teeth to someone else already?
My school hasn't sent info about it yet, but is it just all types of teeth? And the dentist would know how to store them?
Sorry lots of questions lol
Thanks!

We're all going to get out butts kicked regardless of what we do in order to prepare.

• Think of all the people in your life with whom you're going to lose touch while in dental school. Spend time with them while you still can.
  • Think of all the non-dentistry related books you've wanted to read, and realize that you go from school --> residency--> practice --> parenthood --> physical and mental decline --> death, and realize this is your last chance to read them. READ THEM.
  • Think of all the places that you want to travel that are within your budget and realize that you go from school --> residency--> practice --> parenthood --> physical and mental decline --> death, and realize this is your last chance to have any semblance of schedule flexibility and independence. GO TO THOSE PLACES.
  • Think of all the money you could save on interest payments if you bust your ass working this summer in order to make enough money to cover four year's worth of food and gas to use while in dental school
This is by no means a comprehensive list, but any combination of the following would be a good beginner's guide as to how to prepare.
Woah, woah, woah... I like the first one, but the rest are a bit much.

I completely agree to read some books and travel if you are so inclined, but you make it sound as if the start of dental school is the beginning of the end of your life! There WILL be time to have flexibility and independence while you practice and have kids. Practices provide vacation time, and if it's YOUR practice - well, YOU are the boss! Take time for yourself. We only get one life. As a parent, kids learn and gain their own independence. This hit me hard because after I had my daughter I went into a deep depression thinking, "what have I done?" and "my life is over." But it WASN'T. I'm still here. In fact it's stressing out as a pre-dent that has robbed me of all of my time.

As for getting older... Physical and mental decline is NOT as fast or harsh as you think till you're a senior citizen. And plenty of them can still outrun me and school me simultaneously - and one is one of my professors!

How would you go about doing this? Just asking every dentist/oral surgeon you can find and hope they haven't promised teeth to someone else already?
My school hasn't sent info about it yet, but is it just all types of teeth? And the dentist would know how to store them?
Sorry lots of questions lol
Thanks!
Just to tag onto this, would this be a good interview question? "Do I need to start collecting teeth as soon as I'm admitted?" lol. I know some schools provide you with all the teeth you'll need, I don't suppose there is a list floating around out there with which school does and doesn't?

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on what this means? Sorry I've just never heard of this before
Every school has their own preferences for storage of teeth. They will usually send out an information packet towards the beginning of summer telling you what to order and where to order it. For example, UCLA asked us to store teeth in 10% formalin and they told us which company to purchase the solution from.

@LaughingGas pretty much summed it up!

The info sheet came with things like: make sure teeth aren't put in the autoclave, make sure teeth are put into solution immediately and not air dried, provide the dental offices with MSDS sheets, and also that non-restored teeth, bicuspids, first molars, and upper front teeth are the most difficult to find (so start early!).

If your school has not sent it out with your acceptance packet, ask some upperclassman if they can share the sheets they received when they matriculated.

The general protocol that I have seen is 1:10 bleach to water ratio in a jar that can be sealed. They should be sending you an email regarding this soon with proper handling instructions.
And yeah, just ask around. Just drop jars with your name with the solution in offices as many as you want and ask them to drop every extracted teeth be dropped there.

You're supposed to find teeth?? I'm kind of confused lol

My brother was so happy when I finally told him he could start collecting teeth for me. I'm going to show up in the fall like the freaking tooth fairy with all of my teeth.

Reactions: 2 users