How to prepare for retail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacy7424

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduating soon. Starting grad intern gig at major chain (non big 3) on monday morning. Should be very busy.

Haven't worked retail in five years. What can I do to prepare for expected onslaught on the first day?

Members don't see this ad.

learn how to pick up the phone by the second ring.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Graduating soon. Starting grad intern gig at major chain (non big 3) on monday morning. Should be very busy.

Haven't worked retail in five years. What can I do to prepare for expected onslaught on the first day?

Wait to make snide comments until after you hang up the phone.

Reactions: 1 user
Prepare for a lifetime of getting screwed but getting paid handsomely.

Make sure you know where the bathroom is as you will be holding number 1 for so long so that you can run as quickly as possible when your shift is over

Impress everyone with exceptional good attitude. Everything else will follow.

Why?
"Grad intern gig"
does not mean you will be hired as pharmacist.
This is the time they try you out for finding if you have good attitude and working ethic or not.

Like learning martial art in the mountain of China,
Rule number 1: all brothers and sisters that were in this building before you has more experience about this building way more than you. No matter what age or title of that person, you come in later, you have the least experience about this building and therefore, you must respect others in their knowledge of this building. Meaning: blend in and listen to their advises about how to work in this building.

Rule number 2: any time you have any doubt about your position and ranking, read rule number 1 three more times.

What can I do to prepare for expected onslaught on the first day?
You need coffee and donut to help you have energy on first day. They will teach you so much in short time because they don't have time. Your mind will go numb after 2 hours. Why? Because you run out of glucose inside your physical brain. You need to resupply glucose often so you will feel mental clarity and not feel muddy. Only for a few days of this intense training time.

I heard of people telling stories about other people that told stories about other people that SECRETLY brought a voice recorder to capture all the lessons but others told other people that such device could be viewed as HIPPA violation so NEVER let anyone know that you have such voice recorder and make sure it does not beep or show red light. When I close my eyes and think about this idea as remote unthinkable idea, MY VIEW IS: I ASSUME YOU UNDERSTAND THAT NO ONE SHOULD BRING VOICE RECORDER. Do you understand?

Back to reality:
Clerk or tech or floater or staff or manager, they are all connected somehow. Never treat anyone bad or your behavior could get mentioned to a Higher Manager and will bite you later. Even front end people, say hi to them and smile as well. They are also connected.

Why?
I know a fact: Front end cashier used to be pharmacy technician until she was too old and too tired to handle pharmacy high speed work speed. She still keeps in touch and has respect of pharmacy manager.

I know a fact: Tech is friend with Pharmacy District Manager. How? Pharmacy District Manager used to be Pharmacy Manager with this tech for many years.

I know a fact: Front end manager used to be pharmacist. What? Walgreens corporate structure is very special that for ambitious pharmacist who wants to go to Corporate level and not work at pharmacy physical store, the quicker route is to sacrifice pharmacist income and work as front end manager for few years then get faster promotion and then work at corporate office.

I know a fact: A hard working clerk, where I used to work, was a pharmacy student that was getting experiences and was hired with special connections network through higher managers. This clerk often talked to Pharmacy District Manager every month. If you look down on this clerk and Pharmacy District Manager will hear about it and your future position as pharmacist will be questionable.

You see, pharmacy is a small world. Very small.

In summary, please: Must RESPECT ALL and try to work hard. Good things will most likely come to you....Good luck...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
how to prepare:

Trying standing on a hard piece of concrete for 12 hours with nothing to eat or drink and no bathroom breaks

Know all the products, and exactly where they are in the store. This will save you a lot of time by not having to step out of the pharmacy department. Because a lot of things have duplicate products from different companies, know all the equivalencies, and pick a 'go-to' product. Also know the lay-person 'street-talk' for all the ailments, products, and how to explain things.

In the beginning, it's okay to not know something, but please, please, PLEASE, look it up to get the correct answer, rather than go with the first thing that comes to mind. You should know all the references available to you, and exactly what type of information is in each one, so that you can find out what you need quickly. Fortunately, customers tend to ask similar types of questions over and over, so remember the answers, and you'll be looking things up less and less.

Like it or not, you have to accept that speed is a criterion, because retail is a business. But you have to respond to this by learning how to work under pressure and still be able to concentrate so as not to make mistakes. Many harrowing mistakes happen because the pharmacist was in too much of a rush to even think about what they were doing, so they cut corners and mistakes slip through. You should establish some sort of checking process that you always go through, and never skip anything. Then once that becomes a habit, you can work on doing it faster, but still, you must not cut corners.

Reactions: 1 user