How to prepare for Writing Section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted444768

I have a week left and haven't even attempted one writing section on my practice exams. What should I do? I know I shouldn't sweat it too much, but it's better to be prepared, even minimally lol

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't bother... next year's MCAT isn't going to even have a writing section. Its not important.

Members don't see this ad :)
Find a couple of good examples that you can use for multiple prompts. For me, I always tried to use FDR. I also used the Time 100 most influential people to come up with a few other examples. Here's a link:
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,1984685,00.html

Would you be able to post up one of your essays with an FDR example? I keep reading that examples are the most important part of the writing sample, but I haven't gotten a chance to read a good one yet.

The writing section is not important, but what is important is that you do this section during your practice tests. If you skip it during practice, but then take it seriously on the day of the MCAT you will be worn out afterwards because you didn't build the stamina to do the writing section too.

Here's a sample using FDR:

Prompt-In times of war, maintaining public support is often the most difficult battle.
I got the prompt from here: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing/85192/preparing_writingsampleitems.html

When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941, the United States was thrust into World War Two. Prior to this attack, a majority of the US public wanted to avoid becoming entangled in the war. The President at the time, Franklin Roosevelt, was deeply concerned that if the US did not come to aid the British, that the whole of Europe might fall to the Nazis. He had been supplying the British with as much heavy machinery as possible to keep them from being overrun. After the attack at Pearl Harbor, the American people were completely behind the President in joining WWII. A similar case was seen after September 11, 2001. Civil war had engulfed Afghanistan after Soviet withdrawl in the 1980s. After the Taliban took over, not many Americans took notice. With the attack on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon, however, the American people were once again united behind the President in going to war.

There's a FDR example. Contrast that with Vietnam or Iraq or Korea for the next paragraph. The conclusion would be something like "it is easy to maintain public support for a war when the public has been attacked or its interests directly threatened. when the interests, however, are far away or less tangible, then public support is difficult to maintain."

Think of a few things you know well, especially in history, politics or literature. Maybe you have a favorite president (FDR), or you're all about Madame Curie, or something like that. Then be ready to use them as "evidence" for how you feel about a variety of prompts.

That way when you say, "I think X," you can back it up with, "As an example of X, I'm gonna ramble on a bit about FDR" (Except, clearly, don't write like that).

Be prepared to defend or attack a broad statement with evidence. If you have maybe 5 or 6 solid examples that you could spin to be evidence for any sort of prompt, you'll be good to go.

My go-to's are always Lincoln, MLK, Orwell's 1984, WWII, etc. I guess I'm an American history kind of person. AP US and AP Lit coming in for the win!