How to raise GPA/Increase desirability after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayastona

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, any advice would be appreciated.

I graduated in November and I hold a degree in Biological Sciences. I attended a decent school and finished on time, however, I had a few rocky times in college and was quite less motivated and immature. As a result my GPA was dismally low. (Above 2.5 but below 3.0)...

Currently, I work in a pathology laboratory and I have been with this company for about 6 months. The doctors seem to like me and acknowledge that I am an intellegent person that can, with dilligence, perform the functions of a physician. In fact, one of the pathologists that I work with wrote me a letter of reccomendation for a program that I applied to recently.

My goal is to one day become a physician, and I know I will. I have many many family members that are in medicine and have acquired higher degrees. I have considered many programs but so far only applied to only one program (Rosalind Franklin's BMS program, which is highly competitive). I was not accepted into that program, and I am beggining to get discouraged a bit.

I have also considered applying to schools in the carribean as some of my friends have, however, upon advice from my doctors I am avoiding that route (all the doctors i work for attended very highly reputable programs such as the medical school at Johns Hopkins University, etc)

Recently, I have been going CRAZY trying to look for a way to get my foot into at least graduate school. Since my GPA is on the low side, I find that my credentials are stymied for most of the programs out there.

Does anyone know anyway that I can proove myself and/or increase my GPA so that I may be a more valuable candidate? should i go retake classes at my alma matter? is that allowed? are there any sort of post-bac programs or graudate programs that would accept me?

Also, if there is any other solution please feel free to help! I just dont want to be stuck with a bachelors! thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all your cum GPA of 2.5 is not competitive enough for a MSP or a typical post-bac, even though you might have the best letter of recommendation.

Try obtaining a second bachelor degree in science or maybe a non-formal post-bac until you reached a GPA of around 3.0. check your local state university for post-bac or extension program, they typically have one.

With a 3.0 and a high MCAT you can get in to many SMP program and medical school.

The journey is long and don't give up.