How to retake a Part B course from a Quarter System in a Semester School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuremed85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am planning on retaking one of my pre-med courses. Originally, I took the course in a school under the quarter system, and got a C- in OCHEM B (of A-B-C sequence).

I'm planning on retaking it at a local university, but they are all under the semester system.

You guys have any ideas how I can retake? At a semester university? Community College, ok?

Should I even worry about retaking OCHEM B?

Thanks! -futuremed85

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, you should retake the class. I believe that virtually ALL schools require a minimum grade of C (C- doesn't cut it).

In terms of which course to take on the semester system, that's tough. Can you find a quarter system somewhere?

Be careful with the quarter system. I was in a similar position because my undergrad school was on a quarter system, and the post bac on semesters. Make sure your quarter hours equal the following: 12qrt hrs for each pre-req with a lab (equal to a total of 8 semester hours each). I found out I was short on the quarter hours for gen bio but I took upper level bio courses and they said I should be fine. Also, the school you go to should accept the course you took so you can re-take quarter hours or semester hours, does not matter. When I got into my post-bac they took my gen bio 1 that was on a quarter system and had a combined lab section.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll have to retake everything if that's the case. Ochem II in quarter system = last 1/3 of Ochem I in Semester and first 1/3 of Ochem II in semester.

I am planning on retaking one of my pre-med courses. Originally, I took the course in a school under the quarter system, and got a C- in OCHEM B (of A-B-C sequence). [...] You guys have any ideas how I can retake? At a semester university? Community College, ok?

Ooh, ooh, I have an answer, but you're not gonna like it. There are two answers, actually. The first is to find a university on the quarter system that offers your class and take it there. If you did the full year and got grades that were otherwise good in A and C, this is probably the best and easiest way to go.

The second one, the one that I did, the one you're really not going to like: Retake the whole friggin' year under the semester system. Every time I spent a Sunday inside studying, I gritted my teeth and reminded myself that I brought it on myself by doing poorly in the class the first time around.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Moreover, you could get stuck in an OchemB that was a different set of material. If you have not had the classes recently this could be very difficult. I would consider retaking the entire year of Ochem. I haven't had Ochem in 2 years and if you put me back in just a small section of it, I am not sure the outcome would be positive.