How to revise Biostats/behav science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mleechu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! My exam is in 4 weeks from now. I am confused about what is the best way to revise biostats and behav sci. I did kaplan lecture notes few months back and never had a chance to do them again. I did uworld and annotated it on my first aid. I got 71% in behav and 64% biostats. What do you guys i should do now? Should i just review my first aid with uworld notes or go back to kaplan?

Members don't see this ad.

71 and 64 seems pretty good to be honest with you. I have 75 and 57, respectively so I need help on biostats still. I would recommend first aid+uworld still but mainly uworld to acquaint yourself with the question styles you may face in the real thing. I used mainly first aid and used brs behavioral as a resource to learn a few things that I couldn't understand straight from fa.

71 and 64 seems pretty good to be honest with you. I have 75 and 57, respectively so I need help on biostats still. I would recommend first aid+uworld still but mainly uworld to acquaint yourself with the question styles you may face in the real thing. I used mainly first aid and used brs behavioral as a resource to learn a few things that I couldn't understand straight from fa.

I understand most of the concepts in FA and Uworld now. I freaked out when i realized that that there is so much extra stuff in kaplan and i don't remember nothing from it. I don't know if it is worth spending time for all that extra information or Uworld/Fa would be fine for behav and Biostats.

I understand most of the concepts in FA and Uworld now. I freaked out when i realized that that there is so much extra stuff in kaplan and i don't remember nothing from it. I don't know if it is worth spending time for all that extra information or Uworld/Fa would be fine for behav and Biostats.

i don't think its worth it…I'm in the same boat as you but I'm sticking to the UFAP method + Wikipedia

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't think its worth it…I'm in the same boat as you but I'm sticking to the UFAP method + Wikipedia

Alright. Are you done with uworld? When are you taking it? Do you think it is a good idea to do Webpath along with FA? I have 4 weeks left and i feel like I'm slowing down because of anxiety. I feel like i am forgetting everything. My uworld avg was 75% and uwsa 1 was 260. I really want to hit 250.

Alright. Are you done with uworld? When are you taking it? Do you think it is a good idea to do Webpath along with FA? I have 4 weeks left and i feel like I'm slowing down because of anxiety. I feel like i am forgetting everything. My uworld avg was 75% and uwsa 1 was 260. I really want to hit 250.

well for one, I'm way behind you. I did Uworld a long long time ago without studying and just dove into it and got like 40% which was a waste of time and money for me. So now I'm going through my first pass of FA simultaneously and I do Uworld questions after I finish a specific subject in FA. I did Pathoma once and completely forgot it So I will pick it up again once I get to the organ systems in FA. But you seem like you are in really good shape with a 75% Uworld and 260 on uwsa. I would kill to be in your position so you really don't have to worry much at all. people here know much more than I do, but the general consensus is to take take 2 or 3 name's and go for the real deal soon after because nbme is what tells you really stand. My gf is a resident now but she said she started forgetting things so just decided to go through with it.

well for one, I'm way behind you. I did Uworld a long long time ago without studying and just dove into it and got like 40% which was a waste of time and money for me. So now I'm going through my first pass of FA simultaneously and I do Uworld questions after I finish a specific subject in FA. I did Pathoma once and completely forgot it So I will pick it up again once I get to the organ systems in FA. But you seem like you are in really good shape with a 75% Uworld and 260 on uwsa. I would kill to be in your position so you really don't have to worry much at all. people here know much more than I do, but the general consensus is to take take 2 or 3 name's and go for the real deal soon after because nbme is what tells you really stand. My gf is a resident now but she said she started forgetting things so just decided to go through with it.

Thank you so much for your advice. I will do NBME 15 next week.

You will do much better this time if you keep doing it with FA. Goodluck!

Hey guys! My exam is in 4 weeks from now. I am confused about what is the best way to revise biostats and behav sci. I did kaplan lecture notes few months back and never had a chance to do them again. I did uworld and annotated it on my first aid. I got 71% in behav and 64% biostats. What do you guys i should do now? Should i just review my first aid with uworld notes or go back to kaplan?
Kaplan is good at concepts but it did not help me in answering UW questions in time. UW Biostats (standalone) is quite helpful.
Appleton and Lange's Review of Epidemiology and Biostatistics for the USMLE is only about 100 pages and can easily be done in a a day.
I cannot stress the importance of Biostats enough since it is the ONLY subject you can score 100% if you know it AND practiced a lot of questions. Biostats alone can improve your score by 10-15 points and it only takes 3-5 days max to learn it. But practicing a lot of questions on Biostats is the key!
Just Google various USMLE forums and search Biostats question discussion there which will help you understand the concepts.
Also, review it every week since it's easy to forget the concepts.
On the test, you can do all the questions if you know the concepts but unless you practice a lot you will end up spending a lot of time doing them which you don't have. So, practicing questions is the key. In fact, Biostats questions on the test can be done in less than 30 seconds (saving time for those WTF questions) provided you have practiced a lot.

Also, don't forget to master MRI/CT scans since they are the lowest hanging fruits.

Just questions. Biostats can only be learned through questions cuz it's simple math but you've gotta just get your technique down. I had HY Biostats but it was preter-unnecessary. For BS I had read HY and BRS, but on the real deal, all of the questions were pretty much just intuition really and those books didn't actually help me get any questions right.