How to schedule fourth year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guv_garfunkel

guv_garfunkel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an OMSIII heading into my fourth year and planning on doing peds. I am in the process of scheduling my fourth year and wondering what to do. I was planning on dong a Sub-I in Peds, an OP rural peds rotation, a NICU rotation, and a subspecialty in peds for my 4th year pediatric rotations. Do those sound like good rotations for one going into peds?

I've also had a little problem come up though. It's a bit difficult to explain, but I'm attending a DO school where for 3rd and 4th years we have to go to a specific "region" for all of our core rotations and most of our 4th year. The region I'm in isn't based at an academic institution and I've done all of my rotations with different preceptors in the area. There is one academic institution and children's hospital in the area, but not associated with my school at all.
Due to the price and the fact I didn't want to leave my family for months I didn't want to do any away rotations exept a 4 week international rotation I've already set up. I applied to do a Sub-I and subspecialty rotation at the university here in the state, but just found out today, to my utter dismay, that they will not be accepting DO students for 4th year clerkships this year (I'm still okay for my NICU and OP rotations). The school has a pretty tight hold on some hospitals in the area and especially the children's hospital here and can pretty much decide which students are allowed.
Basically, I wanted the Sub-I for the experience because I havn't had much in-patient experience, especially at an academic instituation, and to get a letter. I'm just wondering now what I should do and thought I would ask for some advice.

Are the rotations I want, like the Sub-I, valuable enough to my education that I should just buck up and pay the money and spend the time away from my family to do an away rotation somewhere else? I'm trying to decide between that or just doing as many peds rotations as I can with diverse preceptors at community hospitals in the area and hopefully I will get the experiences I need for internship. Maybe I could try and go through the back door at the children's hospital and contact the physicians there directly, but I don't think they'll accept any students unless one applies through the university, so unless I do some out of state rotations I don't think I'll be able to do any rotations in sub-specialty peds except NICU and definitely wouldn't be able to do a Sub-I.
Anyway, I know my situation is pretty weird and unique (hopefully that made sense), but I was just wondering people's thoughts on which rotations would be good during fourth year for me and how important a Sub-I really is? I also wonder how much it might hurt me for residency application if I just do mainly OP peds and NICU? I'm a pretty strong applicant otherwise with good board scores. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.