How to select the correct wholesaler for your independent pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cpakiller

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Every two or three years the major players ABC Cardinal McCesson will get creative. In the mean time we have the buy in group co-ops that will spread social economic pricing. Oh the new rx gets same pricing as old established rx. We share same cost and rebates back to all members. Yea right......then some as CPA will swear you to secrecy and ask for 5k to join before they share pricing. Once you are in the cloak and dagger world with them much like a military recruiter they will lay out rebate opportunities that are not realistic or have a catch that causes additional time to prepare and order. Renders a perpetual inventory system worthless and you end up chasing a never to be achieved rebate goal that you were flashed. And they will treat you as if you just come from Africa with emboli if you ask to leave the group and hold your funds for a long period.

My suggestion is to stay out of buy in groups. deal directly with the big three. They realize they have a steady customer who is not tied to a board of directors or a chain store responding to stock holders and lose big chunks of business's at one time.

Currently cardinal suffered a large loss of Walgreens and they are going aggressive after independents now to back fill that loss of volume. Great prices and terms. Only had to be burned with the second co-op to move on. Depending on your volume you can pick up another 100k + in rebates / savings and get it much quicker than the co-op route

Any questions feel free to call for more information
Rivertown pharmacy
Conway sc
843-444-4400
Dale Todd

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah this is over the heads of about 99.9% of the people who post on here. Anyway...thanks for the information.

I disagree. I think the best bet is to stay as far away from the big three as you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah this is over the heads of about 99.9% of the people who post on here. Anyway...thanks for the information.

I disagree. I think the best bet is to stay as far away from the big three as you can.

I used to think the same; however the prices from the cardinal and ABC are better than the co-ops now. I am not sure about McCesson did not get a deal quote from them. Good luck

I would love to see more posts like this! I would love to hear other people's opinions on this!

The indy where I spent some time as an intern had a contract where he'd get the best pricing through Cardinal, as long as a certain % of his inventory was from there. He could then cherry pick among others for hot deals (Anda, RDC, TopRx, Genetco).

I feel like the Big 3 are more interested in the chains and hospital accounts for some reason. They make more money off the independents. I'm inclined lately to stay far away from them and their PSAOs that sign every contract that is put in front of them.

That being said, why do we join buying groups? Walmart has what, 4,300 stores? Rite aid has their 4,000, Wags their 8,000, CVS their 7,000. If I'm part of a buying group, and I'm paying money to be part of said group that is 3000 to 5000 strong, how is it that these chains have so much more buying and negotiating power? We have the same number of stores and should have similar purchases.

As far as Co-ops go, Cpakiller, you're the first person I've come across that doesn't speak glowingly of CPA. Same goes for AAP. Most indys love both of them. I'm more inclined to go with one of the regional guys like Miami Luken, Value Drug, or Smith Drug. At least you know independents are their primary business.

CPA, have you looked at NC Mutual? They're a fantastic group.

McCesson....I take it you mean McKesson?

I, for one, was completely unaware that emboli came from Africa

Reactions: 1 user