How to self study Organic Chemistry and Electricity and Magnetism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pradeepk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

Next semester I am taking a pretty tough schedule..organic chemistry, electricity and magnetism and some other classes. I wanted to get ahead in the summer so I won't fall behind during the school year. Do you guys have any tips on how I can study the two subjects by myself? Should I just read the textbook and do problems..or are there any books I should read? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Smith Organic Chemistry, 3rd edition
Organic Chemistry as a Second Language

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't get it--I thought self study was the only way to learn these subjects?

Don't psyche yourself out. A lot of students take orgo 2 and physics 2 (including E&M, etc) in the same semester. I never really bought the argument against pre-reading being harmful (although in my experience it hasn't helped much). I pre-read for orgo 1 because I heard it was the dreaded organic chemistry blah blah blah. Once the semester kicked into swing, my professor covered what took me 3 months (the summer) to read in about 4-5 lectures. I stopped reading when I got to more advanced reactions because I felt I lacked fundamentals and booyah big waste of time.

Especially for organic 2 where A LOT of mechanisms show redundancies, it is probably a bad idea to try to pick them apart yourself. My professor went over a slue of mechanisms (say all ester reactions) in one lecture by showing how the beginning steps are all very similar (acid/base catalyzed). Point is, when you're in the heart of the semester you will be forced to notice all the trees in the forest instead if you pre-teach yourself you will likely get caught up on one tree (or whatever that saying is).

Now if you've read this far I will reward you with the secret to success...

PRACTICE

For both subjects PRACTICE is essential if you wish to do well. That doesn't mean spend 8 hours every Saturday doing any practice problem set you can get your hands on but does mean work with concepts a few times even if you think you have them down pact. Having no doubts about how to reduce an amide or which way flux is pointing in an exam will only come from that practice.

Especially for organic 2 where A LOT of mechanisms show redundancies, it is probably a bad idea to try to pick them apart yourself. My professor went over a slue of mechanisms (say all ester reactions) in one lecture by showing how the beginning steps are all very similar (acid/base catalyzed). Point is, when you're in the heart of the semester you will be forced to notice all the trees in the forest instead if you pre-teach yourself you will likely get caught up on one tree (or whatever that saying is).

This is why Organic Chemistry as a Second Language is a good guide for self-study... it is great for developing the conceptual skills (ability to see logical reasons for mechanisms, patterns in mechanisms) for ochem without getting too hung up on the specifics which will come when actually taking the course.

Electronegativity man... just keep the concept at the forefront of your mind and the reactions you will encounter next semester should make sense to you.

get some books on the subject like the ones listed.
And honestly, youtube....
I learned bio, general chem and calc b/c of youtube....
I'm sure u can do the same with organic chem.

but like mentioned, you need to practice.