How to study Anatomy - Bones

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmartOssa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
In Anatomy this semester we are studying bones. I am having a very difficult time remembering every itty bitty visual detail and associating it with its terminology.

Mnemonics are indispensable help, but the most popular mnemonics websites don't have enough on bones.

Some advice please!!! Thank you!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
In Anatomy this semester we are studying bones. I am having a very difficult time remembering every itty bitty visual detail and associating it with its terminology.

Mnemonics are indispensable help, but the most popular mnemonics websites don't have enough on bones.

I'm not sure mnemonics are going to be of much use with bones. What seemed to work for me was to sit down with either a bone or rohen's book and simply talk myself through what I already knew. Once I finished I'd fill in the gaps and repeat. Sooner or later, thinking about a lot of the minute details is going to cement them in your mind and you'll be golden. Repetition is key.

Even better than above, TALK TO SOMEONE ELSE about what you are studying. Either a classmate or someone you can bribe. Go through quizzing each other and discussing what is important about particular structures, what inserts there, etc. Start with what you know and slowly build up the details. Like all parts of anatomy, it just takes time!

Does your school loan out bone boxes? Actually having bones in my hands along with my anatomy book to remind me of what was important to learn was invaluable for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Use models. Just sit down and go through your anatomy book and the model and learn it that way. I find that the easiest way. It's also good if you do it with a fellow student then you can quiz each other or do a mini-spotter test.

What helped me was to focus on what each of those things is for. Every part that has a specific name has it for a specific reason... forms a joint, a muscle attaches, artery runs there, etc. Then just picture each part moving and how those parts play a role. Doesn't work so hot for the vasculature or nerves... I brute forced those.

I found group studying and quizzing essential to learning the bones cold. You don't really know something until you have to explain it to someone else.

Heck. I learned more bones in undergrad than medical school so far. They just don't test them that much here. But I do think its great idea to study with the actual bone in hand and then try to teach someone what you learned

Hi there,

Draw pictures.

+1 for studying with bone.

Use netters first to get familiar. Then use the bone with a classmate and quiz each other. Make sure you can recognize the various landmarks from any angle they throw at you.

I've been successful with the "clock method" with the tuberosities and foramens in bones, especially the skull. I orient the bone to a certain position, then learn the landmarks going clockwise according to the times. For example, the skull, looking down:
cribiform plate is at 12 o clock
foramen lacerum is at 4 o clock
foramen magnum is at 6 o clock
jugular foramen is at 7 o clock
foramen ovale is at 9 o clock, and so on.

I've also done this with the carpals and tarsals

Heck. I learned more bones in undergrad than medical school so far. They just don't test them that much here.

I take it you just started anatomy, or you havent done head and neck?

lol no, in fact we are almost done anatomy. All we have are the arms and the legs left. I mean, they always put the bones on our study sheet, but its never tested in the practicuum. I guess they expect you to just know it. Either way, I'm happy, cause I think its a waste of time to sit for hours looking at every crevice of a bone.