How to study dental anatomy ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

india

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an enoromous problem with morphology of different teeth. Need some advice how to remember all the impotant landmarks and how to differenciate maxillary and mandibular, left and right.

Members don't see this ad.

Is that what you guys are concerned with in dental school? Wow. I'm impressed. I really didn't know there was much of a difference between morphology of teeth with respect to position.

As you can probably tell, we skipped teeth during head and neck anatomy. Our professors said this country had plenty of qualified dentists to concern themselves with teeth. But when asked why we were studying foot anatomy, one professor said, "Well, we have qualified dentists who know their stuff, but would you ever want to go to a podiatrist?"
smile.gif

Tim of New York City.

I was about to get mad at you for posting your comment about podiatrist, but I have a anatomy professor who taught at a Osteopathic school and he thinks most Osteopathic students are MD wannabes(I dont agree with him though) who get a watered down MD curriculum. I guess all schools have jerks in faculty positions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is a quote from a book I have on medical and dental schools under the dentistry section. "The D.M.D. and the D.D.S. degrees are equivalent degrees that are awarded to dental students upon completion of the same types of programs." Some dental schools award one, some award the other.

Here is a quote from a book I have on medical and dental schools under the dentistry section. "The D.M.D. and the D.D.S. degrees are equivalent degrees that are awarded to dental students upon completion of the same types of programs." Some dental schools award one, some award the other.

Welcome to the forum! I think you posted to the wrong thread?

I have an enoromous problem with morphology of different teeth. Need some advice how to remember all the impotant landmarks and how to differenciate maxillary and mandibular, left and right.
Most important landmarks IMO: Cusp of Carabelli, 5 cusps, Y shape, root shape/number, location of wear on canines, oblique ridge, mesiomarginal groove and mesiolingual groove. Those are the easy ones...Harder ones are the lengths of distal or mesial cusp arms, cusp heights on a tooth.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
By far my least favorite class to study for ....... cause for concern?
Does your school do gnathology/occlusion and functional waxing? That has to be one of the worst dental related classes.

there is something called kaims rule that NYU teaches to differentiate between left and right. Check it out

I think this class was interesting and not dumb at all. I would be pissed if some stupid a dentist started drilling on 30 instead of 31 because he didn't know the differences in how they looked.

Does your school do gnathology/occlusion and functional waxing? That has to be one of the worst dental related classes.
We did a ton of waxing, but I'm not sure if it's "functional waxing" or not. What is that?
It sucks...... Totally dumb
By no means is it useless, in fact its bounds more useful than most of the stuff we learned in gross anatomy, it's just painfully boring. There's nothing exciting or even remotely stimulating about it; I equate it to memorizing every peak, valley, trail of a mountain range... except there isn't a cool view.

I start occlusion next month :/

We did a ton of waxing, but I'm not sure if it's "functional waxing" or not. What is that?

By no means is it useless, in fact its bounds more useful than most of the stuff we learned in gross anatomy, it's just painfully boring. There's nothing exciting or even remotely stimulating about it; I equate it to memorizing every peak, valley, trail of a mountain range... except there isn't a cool view.
Did you check contacts for waxing? In an articulator. We had a wax up a tooth that had to have a bunch of specific contacts like in this picture. (What tooth is this?) It was very tedious.
upload_2014-12-11_20-34-21.png

Did you check contacts for waxing? In an articulator. We had a wax up a tooth that had to have a bunch of specific contacts like in this picture. (What tooth is this?) It was very tedious.View attachment 187687

Looks like good ol #19 to me. And yeah, to an extent. We didn't get quite as precise as that, though.

as above, taking into account occlusion. but there's also building up a #11 to provide proper canine guidance. THAT was a pain...

I actually found Oral Anatomy to be very interesting. There are a few reasons for this:

1. Our Oral Anatomy teacher is amazing
2. New to me, and provides building blocks for future dental classes
3. Helps you understand how to sculpt a successful, long-lasting restoration
4. Useful for boards (boards = 50% oral anatomy?), and our class reflected board-type questions

Anyways, at OSU we have a box of 14 anatomically correct tooth models that I found helpful while studying. These represented each tooth aside from 3rd molars, and each one was about the size of a human hand. We also had lots of extracted teeth we could look at to help us. If you're a hands on learner, see if you can find a similar tooth model set; they cost about $12/tooth. Also, when it's 2:30 am and you can't focus on studying, they make great distractions (see modern art below).

P.S. - You might also try online Brainscape flash cards. They are easy to make, free to use, and test you on how well you know the material as you complete them. If you have the mobile app, you can also share different flash card decks that you've met/receive decks from classmates. Basically every class already has a set of flashcards to study from here at OSU.

Edit: Just realized this thread is from 2000 lol

Attachments

• SIH - 4.jpg
    SIH - 4.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited: