How to Survive Interview Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I, too, am wondering how your chances of admission change after you get invited to the interview. How many applicants do programs usually invite to interview?
Your chances absolutely change once you get an interview! (so good job!) As far as how much it changes, that really depends on a few things. I've heard of programs doing it differently, so I can't speak to those... but in my program about 25ish people typically interview for 4-6 spots. The important factor in that is the # of people applying for your particular POI. Last year we had say 3-4 per POI, except one POI interviewed like 8 (!) So you see, the chances are really different for those applying under that POI. When I interviewed, I was competing against 3 others - which means I had a 25% chance. Then it turns out that my POI secured extra funding and had 2 spots! I was actually the 3rd choice, but since the 1st choice chose a different school, I was admitted along with another person.

Also, some programs do not feel that they have to pick someone. I think for some places, they'd rather not fill the spot than admit someone who was clearly not a good fit for the program. [for instance if their first 1-3 choices turn it down, they may not go all the way down the list] This happens much less often, but it does happen. This makes your odds especially difficult to figure out.

Members don't see this ad.

The school I'm interviewing at also offers for dates: Feb 4, 5 , 9 and 10th. I was thinking also about whether order matters--exactly on the same line as whether they will remember me if I go right in the middle. I chose the Feb 5 with a second option on Feb. 10.

Does anyone know why some schools offer this option? I'm guessing they like to have smaller interviews but that seems like an awful lot of redundancy and work for faculty and graduate students who have offered to billet guests as well as take them out for lunch.

This may be an odd question, but what is a good choice for (female) sleepwear/around-the-home wear while staying at the grad student's home?

Obviously I am not planning on modeling any revealing lingerie. However, my cutesy pjs may not make quite the right "I'm a serious and capable colleague" impression at breakfast either. Alternatively, sleeping in jogging pants and a sweatshirt may seem too rough-and-tumble.

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be an odd question, but what is a good choice for (female) sleepwear/around-the-home wear while staying at the grad student's home?

Obviously I am not planning on modeling any revealing lingerie. However, my cutesy pjs may not make quite the right "I'm a serious and capable colleague" impression at breakfast either. Alternatively, sleeping in jogging pants and a sweatshirt may seem too rough-and-tumble.

hahaha thank you so much for asking this! I'm staying with a grad student for an upcoming interview and I was definitely wondering about what to sleep in. This process has made me CRAZY - I overanalyze every little thing that could potentially sway the admissions committee!

Oh jeez, I was just going to wear my cutesy pajamas...

wow I never even thought of that. I doubt they will be judging you based on your sleepwear so if you are probably safe wearing cutesy pjs. She might be wearing cutesy ones too and there you go... you bonded already :)

wow I never even thought of that. I doubt they will be judging you based on your sleepwear so if you are probably safe wearing cutesy pjs. She might be wearing cutesy ones too and there you go... you bonded already :)
You guys are cracking me up! (well at least we know you're detail oriented ;)

PJs are pjs.. like said before, no lingerie. Also, maybe skip the ones with messages you may not want to convey (e.g., skulls, huge marijuana leaf, etc.). Barring that, IT. DOESN'T. MATTER. Seriously. Wear comfy, appropriate PJs. Wear the cutesy ones. If you are very worried about it, then change into sweats or jeans before coming out of your bedroom. NO ONE looks 'serious' in pjs - so don't even try. :)

Another thing...make sure that even if your interview is at one of your "safety schools," you don't act like it is. Applicants who come across as aloof, uninterested, & "holier than thou" are often assumed to see the program as a 2nd rate safety school....& perhaps end up a little shocked when they aren't offered admission. (If the program gets the impression you don't care about being THERE, they probably won't want you there.)

For my interview i plan on wearing a suit. However, we have a faculty and grad student dinner social the night before interview day... what should i wear to that?? Anyone have any ideas? :)

Hey, we are having that same type of thing this weekend where I am interviewing. I asked the girl I am staying with what she recommended I wear to that. She said it doesn't have to be a suit, but it should be like nice pants and a sweater or something. So not too casual (the only time i'm going to wear jeans is around the apartment i'm staying at) and not too formal (not the suit I'm planning on wearing at the interview). Hope that help.

For my interview i plan on wearing a suit. However, we have a faculty and grad student dinner social the night before interview day... what should i wear to that?? Anyone have any ideas? :)

I was planning on wearing black pants and a nice shirt to those.

Hello,

I am interviewing next weekend and I am trying to compile articles written by my professors but I am finding it difficult. Does anyone have any tips for locating articles. I am looking at Psych Lit, but really I can hardly find anything.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm starting to think about the answers I'll give for possible interview questions, and the "Tell me about yourself" one is really tripping me up! How much did you guys talk about your professional aspect of yourself versus more personal stuff (such as interests, hobbies, etc)?

For those of you that have been through interviews before, what are some examples of some questions that you asked your POI's during interviews?

Questions about their research?
About the program?
internship matching?

I plan on asking about the current projects, the environment in the lab, the professor's style of mentorship, the opportunities that his students usually have, etc. I think those things are important so you can make sure the lab is a good fit with your goals and professional interests.

cara suzanna: I think you can talk a bit about both. I think it helps them understand who you really are. Just be careful not to go on and on about it... lol

Even though others have said it really doesn't matter, you never know what silly thing people are going to judge you by. I think any dark colored pajamas would be safe (like men's bottoms), and a plain long sleeved t-shirt.

Both my interviews so far were like that. I wore black pants and a nice sweater. I was slightly overdressed, but I think that is better than underdressed. Definitely no jeans!

So I'm starting to think about the answers I'll give for possible interview questions, and the "Tell me about yourself" one is really tripping me up! How much did you guys talk about your professional aspect of yourself versus more personal stuff (such as interests, hobbies, etc)?

For the "tell me about yourself" question, I stuck to school/ professional interests. However, I had one professor specifically ask me about what I did other than school/work in my free time, so I talked about how I was on cross country in high school and like to run and exercise in my (nonexistant) free time. I guess just keep it neutral and socially acceptable (no "I like to do kegstands in my free time" lol)

this may have been asked and answered already but is it OK to bring a notepad to the interview? i don't expect to be taking detailed notes during it but i'd like to write some things down.

Absolutely! Sometimes writing things down can even be viewed positively!

For my first interview, i stayed at a hotel. However, for my upcoming interviews I opted to stay with a graduate student. I leave tomorrow for my next interview, is it appropriate to e-mail the student and ask things like: do you have wireless internet that I can use? do you have an iron/ironing board? will i be sleeping on a couch or in an extra bedroom?

i ask bc the answers to all of these have implications on what i will or wont bring....

thanks!

I never asked anything like that and things turned out fine. My host had a computer and said I could use to check my emails and things (I wasn't planning on it but I did since she offered). I already had all my questions, copies of CVs, etc printed and in a folder. I brought a small travel size iron with me too (you can find them at target and walmart for like $20 or less).

But in reality there really wasn't any time to do much of anything. Over the weekend things happened really fast: Breakfast was at the school, interviews, lunch with professors, interviews, dinner with students, back at my host's house late at night to sleep, get up and head to the airport.

If you feel like you need all of that info, I don't think it's a problem to ask (except maybe where you'll sleep, as that may sound a bit picky)

My host already emailed us with information like that, so maybe yours will, too.

i feel like we should have a post-interview survival thread

waiting is just terrible - much worse than the anticipation - did my POI like me? Did I say something wrong? Did I eat too much cake (It was delicious!)? Did the innocuous email i received from my POI in response to my thank you note mean that he didn't choose me? did not receiving a response mean anything?

etc. i'm not prone to anxiety, but i am most definitely anxious right now

Haha, I can see it now. Reason for denying admission: applicant ate too much cake.

I did have an extra slice of pizza last year at a grad student social. Is that why I didn't get in????? LOL

sourpatchkid: that thread sounds great. I just hope it doesn't make everyone extra nervous as we will never really know the answer to those questions.

For my first interview, i stayed at a hotel. However, for my upcoming interviews I opted to stay with a graduate student. I leave tomorrow for my next interview, is it appropriate to e-mail the student and ask things like: do you have wireless internet that I can use? do you have an iron/ironing board? will i be sleeping on a couch or in an extra bedroom?

i ask bc the answers to all of these have implications on what i will or wont bring....

thanks!

I don't think it's at all inappropriate to ask your host a few basic questions. In fact, whether they have wireless internet and an iron is what I have been asking my hosts. No need to spend extra money on an iron or carry around your laptop if it won't be necessary.

I plan on asking about the current projects, the environment in the lab, the professor's style of mentorship, the opportunities that his students usually have, etc. I think those things are important so you can make sure the lab is a good fit with your goals and professional interests.

cara suzanna: I think you can talk a bit about both. I think it helps them understand who you really are. Just be careful not to go on and on about it... lol

These are indeed legitimate questions to ask your POI, but I would also follow-up on the same items with their current students. At times, information from the two does not mesh . . . and you don't want to find out until after you're in that your POI's styles & expectations are incompatible with your needs.

G'luck.

Hello,

I am interviewing next weekend and I am trying to compile articles written by my professors but I am finding it difficult. Does anyone have any tips for locating articles. I am looking at Psych Lit, but really I can hardly find anything.

Thanks

You can always contact the prof and ask if there are any articles that they think would be particularly helpful for you to review before the interview. It is also acceptable to ask for reprints.

Hey, we are having that same type of thing this weekend where I am interviewing. I asked the girl I am staying with what she recommended I wear to that. She said it doesn't have to be a suit, but it should be like nice pants and a sweater or something. So not too casual (the only time i'm going to wear jeans is around the apartment i'm staying at) and not too formal (not the suit I'm planning on wearing at the interview). Hope that help.

I was planning on wearing black pants and a nice shirt to those.

This should be fine. We usually advise students "business casual" for the pre-interview day social gathering with profs. So nice pants, nice shirt should be more than acceptable.

I was just wondering how common it was to be asked questions regarding other activities you do (not related to Psychology) in an interview?

I have 2 interviews at Psy.D. programs in clinical psychology and 2 interviews at Ph.D. programs in clinical psychology. The Ph.D. programs have an equal emphasis on research and clinical practice.

Have people experienced that the interviews vary between Psy.D programs and Ph.D. programs? Any ideas on how to prepare best for each one?

I have 2 interviews at Psy.D. programs in clinical psychology and 2 interviews at Ph.D. programs in clinical psychology. The Ph.D. programs have an equal emphasis on research and clinical practice.

Have people experienced that the interviews vary between Psy.D programs and Ph.D. programs? Any ideas on how to prepare best for each one?

I think that even if the PhD programs emphasize practice and research, still act like you totally want to research. I unfortunately learned this the hard way. I went to an interview at a school that claimed it was 50/50 on research and practice and I said that I would like to incorporate both into my career one day. I was rejected by that program and asked for feedback as to why. I was told that I didn't seem like I totally wanted to do research as much as the other applicants.

I was just wondering how common it was to be asked questions regarding other activities you do (not related to Psychology) in an interview?

Hi, I have had an interview for PhD in Counseling Psychology program today. One professor asked me about my hobbies and what I like to do for fun. He not only listened to my answers, but also asked me to elaborate on some. Students also asked me the same question. I think it is pretty common, but depends upon the program and faculty's understanding of what they want to know about you and what questions they need to ask you in order to imagine what kind of student you will be and if it would be good to have you in their program.

Guys, I have a question to those who have been already accepted.

I am applying to counseling psychology PhD program, and I have had my interview today. I am very reflexive and I am still thinking about my performance. Have you all felt the same way: self critical and wishing you would do better? Or have you had the gut feeling that you would be accepted because of your excellent performance ( experience, interests etc) and ability to show your super friendly and motivated personality?

How long have you waited after your interview to be informed that you are accepted?

Thanks in advance for your answers.:)

Even though others have said it really doesn't matter, you never know what silly thing people are going to judge you by. I think any dark colored pajamas would be safe (like men's bottoms), and a plain long sleeved t-shirt.

Are you really promoting a standardized pajama plan? (sigh) I'm telling you, as someone who has hosted applicants for the past FOUR years, regularly interact with other grad students who host applicants, and share information about all these experiences -- pajamas have NEVER, not once, not ever, come up. And certainly such a nonsense thing would not impact your admission potential.

Again I will stress; just be professional, be polite, and be yourself! :luck:

Hey guys I have a question:

I have a phone interview at a program that won't have in person interviews this year. The thing is, I interviewed there last year (in person) and I feel already know a lot about the program. My question is: what should I ask them during this interview? I plan on asking lots of questions about the lab, current projects, etc, but I know the answer to many of the common questions and I suspect I may even interview with some of the same people (students and professors). Last year the interview process was mostly about answering MY questions so I'm afraid I won't have too much to ask.

Any advice or ideas?

Last edited:
Are you really promoting a standardized pajama plan? (sigh) I'm telling you, as someone who has hosted applicants for the past FOUR years, regularly interact with other grad students who host applicants, and share information about all these experiences -- pajamas have NEVER, not once, not ever, come up. And certainly such a nonsense thing would not impact your admission potential.

Again I will stress; just be professional, be polite, and be yourself! :luck:

Yeah, what Eruca said. :D Seriously, no one will care unless you're way over the top in your standards of dress. No cleavage, no profanity, no sloppy/dirty hygiene. For the interview, suit or suit-like is best. Otherwise, just wear a smile as your most important accessory.:)

Hi all! Everyone has been so helpful so far :) I have a question about what to wear to interviews with grad students. I have an individual interview with a graduate student coming up and am wondering what to wear. Should I stick with a suit or something more business casual, like nice pants and a nice sweater? I will not be seeing any faculty that day (my interview with faculty is the following day), so I will only be interacting with her. Thanks in advance!

Hi all! Everyone has been so helpful so far :) I have a question about what to wear to interviews with grad students. I have an individual interview with a graduate student coming up and am wondering what to wear. Should I stick with a suit or something more business casual, like nice pants and a nice sweater? I will not be seeing any faculty that day (my interview with faculty is the following day), so I will only be interacting with her. Thanks in advance!
Hi Olivia! Personally I would wear something more business casual... It is less obliging than a suit!
Good luck! :)

I just wanted to make a suggestion for the ladies. If you can, smuggle a pair of flats in your bag. Me and one other girl thought ahead to do this and on the walking tour her and I were happy as clams while the other girls were just miserable. Of course I suppose you could just wear flats from the get go, but I just don't feel completely dressed without heels.

Hey all,
Here's my question: I'm legally blind. Will grad students know this or are they not aware of the background of the students interviewing?

Hi Jon,

Sorry I didn't catch this post before...I haven't been checking this thread too often. I hope your interview last weekend went well though. In any case, I thought I would post a reply at least for any interviews you have in the future and for anyone that may check this thread in the future.

I am also legally blind--and generally I am in a similar boat (no periphery issues though). Most people can't tell I'm visually impaired either, and some people who knew me for several months or even years would not have a clue unless I mentioned it.

In my interviews two years ago, it seemed that the faculty were at least aware of the issue from my application. I opted to inform the grad students very casually about it, or they deduced it from the use of my monocular telescope at some point during the day. I didn't necessarily bring it up during the introductions, but made it a casual part of conversation and such.

I'm glad I read over this post, because I have an interview for a social-personality program this weekend, and I rather forgot about bringing up my legal blindness on interviews. In my general experience in the past years I have had my legal blindness, if you are candid and upfront about it, people (i.e. faculty or grad students) seem to respect you. For example, before I started working with my current advisor in my master's program, he raised the issue of my vision--for good reason. I had to be working with palm pilots, which does not have the largest font ever. Fortunately, my vision isn't that bad yet--I can still read normal font if I hold up really, really close. Still, I was rather casual about it, and he seemed to appreciate it. Anyways...I am babbling a bit...just don't make it a major issue, and if concerns come up about your vision (unlikely, but it may), just be candid and confident about it so that it is not a huge deal to them. :cool:

In one of my interviews coming up i will be meeting with my POI and 3 other faculty members (all seperately throughout the course of the day). I received notice of ahead of time of who the three others will be. Obviously i want to be super prepared to discuss my POI's research but how much of the other faculty members' research do i need to be read up on? One studies sickle cell disease, which i know VERY LITTLE about and is incredibly far removed from my research interests. Are the interviews with the other faculty members likely to be more general and not research focused? Should i spend my time preparing for the interview reading as much by my POI as possible or should i take time to read the others' research as well? Any suggestions? What are ya'll doing in this case?? Thanks and good luck on your interviews!! :)

So I have interviews for PsyD programs coming up, and I was wondering about looking into some of the core faculty's research. Are they going to ask me who I would most like to work with like in PhD programs, or is that less focused on? I am having trouble getting full-text articles of a lot of the professors at these schools...do you guys think I should simply be familiar with the topics they research, or actually be able to talk about some things they've written?

Thanks!!

i feel like we should have a post-interview survival thread

waiting is just terrible - much worse than the anticipation - did my POI like me? Did I say something wrong? Did I eat too much cake (It was delicious!)? Did the innocuous email i received from my POI in response to my thank you note mean that he didn't choose me? did not receiving a response mean anything?

etc. i'm not prone to anxiety, but i am most definitely anxious right now

:lol:

"Did the applicant eat too much cake?"
[ ] YES
[ ] NO
[ ] NOT SURE

In one of my interviews coming up i will be meeting with my POI and 3 other faculty members (all seperately throughout the course of the day). I received notice of ahead of time of who the three others will be. Obviously i want to be super prepared to discuss my POI's research but how much of the other faculty members' research do i need to be read up on? One studies sickle cell disease, which i know VERY LITTLE about and is incredibly far removed from my research interests. Are the interviews with the other faculty members likely to be more general and not research focused? Should i spend my time preparing for the interview reading as much by my POI as possible or should i take time to read the others' research as well? Any suggestions? What are ya'll doing in this case?? Thanks and good luck on your interviews!! :)

They won't expect you to know their research. Just know your POI's. When I interviewed with alternate faculty, I asked them about their research, & they were always happy to tell me all about it.