How to switch residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EM34

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched this past week to a 3 year emergency medicine residency and since receiving the news we have learned that for personal/family reasons we are going to have to move within the next year. As I only just matched I am concerned about what the best way to proceed is.

I have seen on saem.org a list of vacant residencies and am wondering if I just have to wait until something opens up over the next year? I am nervous about talking with my program director and don't want to start off on the wrong foot especially since I am sure that I will need a letter of support from the PD in order to switch programs.

Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This may seem crazy but blackbird03 posted something kind of similar in the following thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=381929

Maybe, by some miracle, you guys are in programs that the other would like to be in. Low probability but worth a PM to that person I suppose. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems to me that matching at a residency training program would be a pretty important "personal/family" reason to not move.

I'm just curious-- what's a good reason to move from something so important? If it involves other family members, can they not move closer to you? Hopefully your situation works out.

Maybe we can all get together and work out a blockbuster trade via SDN and establish a backdoor to getting around the match. :D

Some residency programs deliberately choose to have small rank lists. My guess is they do so to have their pick of scramblers (some of them are extremely good candidates who made poor rank list choices). Before march 15th, I would never have thought matching was such a political game...

There won't be any oil involved in this deathmatch will there?

I'm allergic to oil

blackbird03 said:
Some residency programs deliberately choose to have small rank lists. My guess is they do so to have their pick of scramblers (some of them are extremely good candidates who made poor rank list choices). Before march 15th, I would never have thought matching was such a political game...

I can tell you with authority that this was not the case for EM this year. Unless Vegas was playing some odds game. (Yes, poor pun, I realized it).

Hey EM34, check your private messages.

Tough situation that appropriately gives you concern. If it was me, I would think about it this way:

1. Don't worry about the program. Take care of yourself. Do the best you can to determine if moving is necessary (just want to, save a marriage, dying grandmother, anything and everything). The key is to make the decision with confidence and conviction--you have to believe it. After that, don't worry so much about what others think. They should and usually will understand. If not, do you really want to be in a program where the PD doesn't relate to _important_ personal issues (remember, importance is determined by YOU)?

2. Once you've decided, I think it is a matter of timing and breaking the news diplomatically and elegantly--it's all about management of expectations! Because I'm insecure, I would make the decision and know what I want to do, but show up, go to work, work hard, do scut with a smile, actively participate with in learning. This way you get the best you can out of the time you have, and you make a great impression. You give them the truth--that you are a great guy, works hard, wants to learn, fun to be with, etc. That way, you mold the context with which they will be interpreting and accepting the news that you have to leave for personal reasons.

I am on great rapport with my faculty, pd, chairman, etc. They know I work hard, I'm a good guy. If due to something personal I must leave, I would wager they will accept it with professionalism and personal endorsement.

If not...going back to #1, I always have the strength of my conviction to fall back on and, it's my life and I decide what happens. That makes me feel good. Good luck, I'm sure everything will work out just fine!

Thanks to everyone who has posted a reply. I appreciate the support, candor and input. We are going to start out with a great attitude and then if necessary make a change over the upcoming year.

Thanks again.

If want to ask me about my experience, PM me... I think I already posted my advice in a prior thread.