How to use IA space on secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adimelon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I had a question on how to best use the space in the secondaries for explaining an IA. I think I have done a pretty good job of describing the incident on AMCAS and was wondering how I could use the space on secondaries best. I did not want to waste space by describing the incident again. I have been writing about what I learned to what I did to put my incident behind me followed by expressing remorse.

Any suggestions? Anyone in medical with experience who can talk more about this?

Members don't see this ad.

If there is very little space for explanation, then that is probably done by design....i.e they don't want to hear your side of the story at that point. Just write what you did and the school will decide if they want to hear your full story during the interview phase. - Admissions Advice Online

If there is very little space for explanation, then that is probably done by design....i.e they don't want to hear your side of the story at that point. Just write what you did and the school will decide if they want to hear your full story during the interview phase. - Admissions Advice Online

Way to advertise your service by completely misreading the question. There was no mention of limited space on the secondary.

OP, I would include a similar explanation from AMCAS. Don't assume the same person who read your AMCAS will be looking at the secondary. If you want to expand your explanation to include your remorse and what you've done to rectify the situation. That would be best use of your time. Also ensure the the incident is put in proper context without putting in excuses.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Way to advertise your service by completely misreading the question. There was no mention of limited space on the secondary.

OP, I would include a similar explanation from AMCAS. Don't assume the same person who read your AMCAS will be looking at the secondary. If you want to expand your explanation to include your remorse and what you've done to rectify the situation. That would be best use of your time. Also ensure the the incident is put in proper context without putting in excuses.

And clearly you did not read my response. My response was that he should only submit what the school is asking for. If there is a short space allocated to the discussion of the IA on the supplemental app, then it should be just that, short and sweet. All schools handle IA differently. Many require full letters of explanation from the actual school/dean while others allow students to give a full description of the event and lessons learned from it. My advice was that instead of trying to give a full blown explanation at this time, the applicant should only do what is required by that program and he/she could get a good gauge of this by the space allocated (if any) on the supp app for this. I have enough admissions experience to know what I am talking about. - Admissions Advice Online

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your response guys. I will stick to the facts. I am not making excuses but I have written a really good explanation on my AMCAS with the help of my advisor(adcom member). On one of my secondary applications I sort of wrote an extension to my AMCAS explanation and indicated that description is on the AMCAS. I really hope they look at my AMCAS for the description.