How to use the OLD EK101 Verbal Book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMula

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the 1st edition-85 minutes 9 passages-but I was wondering how to use the book in a 7 passage format.

I want to see how much of my score reflects a lack of comprehension rather than a lack of stamina...

I'm wary of just cutting passages 8 and 9 off in case there's a certain "easy, medium, difficult" ratio for each practice test.

Any suggestions/tips are appreciated-thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to check lack of comprehension (or actually comprehension, evaluation, application, integration lol), do like 2-3 passages, with 1 min each question as per SN2ed. You might run out of time, but in those cases, I just use a stop watch to see how long I overtimed for. I'm using 1st ED as well, the 2nd ed is the same with fewer Qs per passage. If you're consistently overtiming I would suggest that is a lack of stamina issue. Whereas if you're getting less than 60% per passage (~<4/7) then it may be a lack of comprehension. I prefer splitting the passage because in my situation I just don't have quiet place for 60+ mins.

You can also do them as full length 85 mins (or less time, try 60). You shouldn't be getting less than what you are when done splitting passages.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to check lack of comprehension (or actually comprehension, evaluation, application, integration lol), do like 2-3 passages, with 1 min each as per SN2ed. You might run out of time, but in those cases, I just use a stop watch to see how long I overtimed for. I'm using 1st ED as well, the 2nd ed is the same with fewer Qs per passage. If you're consistently overtiming I would suggest that is a lack of stamina issue. Whereas if you're getting less than 60% per passage (~<4/7) then it may be a lack of comprehension. I prefer splitting the passage because in my situation I just don't have quiet place for 60+ mins.

You can also do them as full length 85 mins (or less time, try 60). You shouldn't be getting less than what you are when done splitting passages.
1 min for each passage? Do you mean 7 minutes per passage?

Yes just 1 min per question. What I do is I look at the top say passages 3-4 is from Q14-23. That would be 10 questions, and I would time it as 10 min. If I finish in time, then o well, but if not, I just set the clock to stop watch mode, and see how long I over timed for. On average you should be able to finish w/i 1.25 mins/Q. If you're taking longer say >1.5 min/Q (note that is more than time alloted on actual Verbal at 60 min for 40 Q) you need to assess why you're taking too long, e.g. re-reading too much, spending too much time on certain questions, going back to passage when not necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes just 1 min per question. What I do is I look at the top say passages 3-4 is from Q14-23. That would be 10 questions, and I would time it as 10 min. If I finish in time, then o well, but if not, I just set the clock to stop watch mode, and see how long I over timed for. On average you should be able to finish w/i 1.25 mins/Q. If you're taking longer say >1.5 min/Q (note that is more than time alloted on actual Verbal at 60 min for 40 Q) you need to assess why you're taking too long, e.g. re-reading too much, spending too much time on certain questions, going back to passage when not necessary.
ok, so 1 minute per question--that's a good way to do it! thanks for the tips! How did you estimate where you were in terms of MCAT scale? Did you take the average correct out of 7 passages or out of 9 passages?

I don't necessarily score myself in terms of MCAT scale. But I think you should aim for at least 75% overall, that typically translates for a 10+. I use a moving average to track my scores.
http://chandoo.org/wp/2009/04/28/calculate-moving-average/

You can do weighted moving average or just average it over 3 days worth of work ~6 passages. It doesn't really make that much of a difference. The point of doing the moving average is so you "clean" your data from noise. In general, if you're improving your moving average will go up. If it's staying at the same rate, say you keep geting 67% then you need to re-assess your strategy, something need to change. However, do take this moving average with a grain of salt, because these are EK 101, and not the actual MCAT. It's best if you do different Verbals and average out.

Reactions: 1 user