How to utilize connections: Med Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCA2390

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I've been told that aways and letters are important in EM (not that this is too different from other specialties)

I am a 3rd year med student, very interested in EM. This past year I had the opportunity to work with several EM docs in research positions from across the country to collaborate on something for the SAEM conference where I met many of them after working via phone/email with them for several months.

Now that I need to start thinking about SLOEs/away rotations.. how should I best utilize these connections/my experience? For example: I met doctors from programs in NY, Boston, Philly, Ohio, etc etc. I am from the midwest and pretty interested in staying in MI. Should I try to do away rotations at some of these doc's hospitals? (as long as I keep in contact with them) -- none are PD's but all involved in research positions and many are from "big name" programs. Would I just kind of tell them "hey remember me from that research project? Well I am doing an away rotation through your hospital! Dr. Boss is writing me a SLOE and I thought maybe you're input from our time doing research would be great insight.. " or is this just totally weird? Help! Especially since one of the docs told me "get in contact with me when you're applying!" this is great but not sure how to best utilize this.

Or should I rotate somewhere in MI where I want to stay and focus on getting a letter from somewhere in my state because that will hold more weight? Just not sure how to utilize this opportunity I was given.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it wouldn't be bad to just shoot a quick email saying "hey, remember me? Mind putting in a good word for me with XYZ, if you feel comfortable doing so. Thanks!" (Clean that up of course.)

Reactions: 1 user