How to withdraw from schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProudMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got an acceptance to my top choice medical school, and I want to withdraw my application from the rest of the schools that I applied to out of consideration for other applicants. Is withdrawing through AMCAS enough, or should I also email each individual school and let them know? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So I got an acceptance to my top choice medical school, and I want to withdraw my application from the rest of the schools that I applied to out of consideration for other applicants. Is withdrawing through AMCAS enough, or should I also email each individual school and let them know? Thanks!
I think you should at least email the admissions office for every school just so that they can have a permanent record of it. It's also more courteous that way. @sunflower18 @claduva94 Y'all can give better advice since you had to do this!

Reactions: 3 users
I think you should at least email the admissions office for every school just so that they can have a permanent record of it. It's also more courteous that way. @sunflower18 @claduva94 Y'all can give better advice since you had to do this!

Thanks. Yeah emailing each school is something I am leaning towards as well. It's always good to be courteous.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!! That's wonderful and amazing -- you have a lot to celebrate on Thanksgiving!!!! :D

I emailed to withdraw from schools where I wasn't holding interview invites. I called the schools where I already had interviews scheduled out of courtesy to make sure they knew sooner and could thus fill the vacancies right away.

Congrats again!!! I'm so happy for you :)

Reactions: 4 users
So I just checked my AMCAS profile, and it doesn't appear to have an option for me to withdraw from schools (it says that submitted/processed applications cannot be withdrawn). So I guess the only option is to email individual schools.

Some secondaries have "withdraw application" buttons.

Reactions: 1 user
So I just checked my AMCAS profile, and it doesn't appear to have an option for me to withdraw from schools (it says that submitted/processed applications cannot be withdrawn). So I guess the only option is to email individual schools.

Its been a while since I applied, but I don't think you need to do anything via AMCAS to withdraw.

I just sent a short personal email to each school's admissions department thanking them for their consideration and stating my intention to enroll elsewhere. In addition, I made sure to include my AMCAS ID and asked them to "formally withdraw" my application from consideration.

That should be more than enough.

Reactions: 2 users
First of all Congrats mate, I wish I knew where I was going by now! Good luck with your medical career!

This might be a stupid question, but wouldn't it be best to wait until you hear back from all your schools? That way you hear about financial packages in March or April. Plus I heard people utilize the opportunity to negotiate with schools over packages after they hear back from all schools, similar to undergrad. This way you get the best deal (competition is now in our favor).

Thank you in advance for the response.

First of all Congrats mate, I wish I knew where I was going by now! Good luck with your medical career!

This might be a stupid question, but wouldn't it be best to wait until you hear back from all your schools? That way you hear about financial packages in March or April. Plus I heard people utilize the opportunity to negotiate with schools over packages after they hear back from all schools, similar to undergrad. This way you get the best deal (competition is now in our favor).

Thank you in advance for the response.

Hey!

I got into USUHS, and active duty military service afterwards is something I genuinely want to do. So I think I am set with my school choice!

Not enough of your type mate! Best of luck to you and I am proud of your future service!