How will 3 W's affect my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubisco88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I attended a top 10 public school not in Texas, but I am a Texas resident. My GPA isn't very competitive to begin with (3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA). I'm applying mostly to Texas schools including TCOM. Also applying to 3-4 other DO schools and out of state lower tier MD schools. My ECs are decent, but not great (have clinical, nonclinical w/ the poor, shadowing, teaching/leadership exp.). I don't have undergrad research experience. I will be taking the MCAT in April, so that I can apply in May and June.

I have 3 Ws on my transcript. I tried taking calculus part 2 at a community college during my freshman summer and dropped it because the course didn't correspond with what I was learning on my quarter system calculus schedule. There was material that I was supposed to know, but had not covered yet. The course deadline to drop without a W was fast approaching during the summer (within the first week), but I didn't drop it until the 2nd week and got a W. I retook Calculus 3 at my 4-yr and got an A-.

I also got a W in a statistics class at my 4 yr college during my freshman year and dropped because I got a B+ on the first test (kind of a stupid and immature decision made as a freshman). In addition, I didn't think I would need the course for medical school (but now Texas schools require it). I ended up taking statistics at a community college in Texas and got an A.

Finally, I got a W in Organic Chemistry III (Junior yr) simply because I wasn't doing well in the class and decided to withdraw rather than get a C or lower. I ended up getting a B the second round. I got B's in OChem I and II.

I feel like my first two W's have somewhat good reasons and may not hurt my application too much, but the W in Organic Chemistry might be a red flag.

What do you guys think? How will 3 W's affect my chances?
As you have redeemed each W in one way or another, I doubt the Ws will have an adverse effect on your application process.