How will a C in Orgo in a Post Bac Program affect my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

renown

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I may be getting a C in Orgo 1.in my Post Bac program. I have an undergraduate GPA of 3.68 but I also had some withdrawals in my undergraduate work. (I was sick). I have 2 A's in the first semester of my post bac (took 2 classes and worked in clinical research 24 hours a week) and I have an A and a possible C in Orgo this semester (while still working 1/2 time in clinical research). Can I survive a C in orgo, especially if I get an A or B in Orgo 2?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

47761495.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Hi,

I may be getting a C in Orgo 1.in my Post Bac program. I have an undergraduate GPA of 3.68 but I also had some withdrawals in my undergraduate work. (I was sick). I have 2 A's in the first semester of my post bac (took 2 classes and worked in clinical research 24 hours a week) and I have an A and a possible C in Orgo this semester (while still working 1/2 time in clinical research). Can I survive a C in orgo, especially if I get an A or B in Orgo 2?

You'll have to see how it hits your GPA. Do a google search and calculate your GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

When do you plan to apply? Will you have enough classes left in your post bac to create an upward grade trend? A 3.68 is a good undergrad GPA so I'm assuming a C is out of character for you and you're just having trouble juggling study time and clinical research work (is this your deficiency? time management?). You need to identify your deficiency, create a plan to correct it, and follow through with that plan.

And you can survive anything. You just need to be able to tell adcoms the reason for a dark spot in your academic transcript, and then show them how you used that dark spot as a learning lesson and platform of upward mobility.

It will hurt you. Whenever our AdCom is discussing an applicant, all eyeballs zoom in on any poor coursework at the post-bac level. This is you single most important chance to shine and show us you can handle medical school and/or poor past perfromance was a fluke. I strongly suggest acing anything else from now on.

Hi,

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

It may help if we knew what kind of post-bac. Formal or informal? Are you a career changer or are you boosting GPA with retakes? Does your program have linkages/grade requirements? Are you shooting for MD or DO?

A single C won't destroy your application, but it's definitely not something to repeat itself as a post-bacc student.

Hi,

Banking on an A or B in Orgo 2 with a C in Orgo 1 is risky, since most students find the application of the various topics covered in Orgo 1 more difficult. Make sure you're maximizing every avenue available to you for academic support (office hours, student TA office hours, recitations, tutors, etc).

I'm afraid you've missed the point of a post-bac. This is where you prove to adcoms that you are not the student you were in UG. You can't make B's, you damn sure can't make C's. If the C can't be brought up, do everything in your power to get nothing but A's from here on out.

Reactions: 1 user
Orgo 1 is easy compared to Orgo 2. If you don't have a solid understanding of the basics I don't know how you would score an A without tons of extra work. It will be a big uphill battle.

Reactions: 1 users