How will disciplinary actions affect my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nbdent24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm hoping someone can give me an idea on how a couple situations will affect my application.
1. Freshman year during a room search, my resident assistant found my Fake ID and reported it to the university. I received an official "warning" from the university, and my standing with the university did not change. However they just advised me that I still should disclose this incident on my application.
2. This past spring break, I received a Minor in Possession of Alcohol citation. As long as I don't get another citation in the next 3 months, the charges will be dismissed. However, I will also have to disclose this misdemeanor on my application because it will be on my record.

Despite these two incidents, I have solid extracurricular activities, good shadowing hours, a committee LOR, sGPA of 3.79 and oGPA of 3.82, and a 26/26/23 AA/TS/PAT on my DAT. How big of impact will these two things affect my chances at schools? And how should I prepare for interview questions regarding what happened?

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I do not think it will matter very much. Most college students who drink start underage and it is not the craziest thing out there. If this thread is serious, I can tell you that you will not have any problems because of this, as long as you do not get in trouble again.

Okay, here is Mama Glimmer talking....

These things certainly can affect you. Even if people do drink underage, most of them manage to not get caught. Are you still underage? Stop drinking if you are. Even if we put the laws aside, you're handling it very poorly if you already have TWO documented issues surrounding it.

If you just had the fake ID, I would bet they would let it slide since it was during freshman year and quite a bit of time has passed. However, you've had yet another issue occur more recently. That sort of magnifies the warning during your freshman year.

Make sure you fully disclose these issues, and make sure you show how much you have LEARNED and MATURED from them. In the best case scenario, schools won't bring them up. In the worst case, they will bar you admission. You need to be proactive and completely transparent. You need to be regretful (but not overly so) and very mature about the situation.

All that being said, the rest of your application looks phenomenal. In my honest opinion, I think it will all work out for you. However, I'd just rather go into this situation prepared for the worst... and I wouldn't have an "it's not going to matter" or "it's okay because everyone does it" mindset like artvandelay suggested. :)

Okay, here is Mama Glimmer talking....

These things certainly can affect you. Even if people do drink underage, most of them manage to not get caught. Are you still underage? Stop drinking if you are. Even if we put the laws aside, you're handling it very poorly if you already have TWO documented issues surrounding it.

If you just had the fake ID, I would bet they would let it slide since it was during freshman year and quite a bit of time has passed. However, you've had yet another issue occur more recently. That sort of magnifies the warning during your freshman year.

Make sure you fully disclose these issues, and make sure you show how much you have LEARNED and MATURED from them. In the best case scenario, schools won't bring them up. In the worst case, they will bar you admission. You need to be proactive and completely transparent. You need to be regretful (but not overly so) and very mature about the situation.

All that being said, the rest of your application looks phenomenal. In my honest opinion, I think it will all work out for you. However, I'd just rather go into this situation prepared for the worst... and I wouldn't have an "it's not going to matter" or "it's okay because everyone does it" mindset like artvandelay suggested. :)
Thanks for the response Glimmer. Since the second issue I've really been laying low and not putting myself in any troublesome situations. My plan has always been to be honest with what happened, explain how I responded to the situation, and how I've learned, matured, etc.

Reactions: 1 user