How will I get through Organic Chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vort3x

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a first year student in Pharmacy, so far I've had 2 classes. Anatomy, and Pharmacy Law & Ethics. Both were fine, but I've also been in Organic Chemistry since September, but it ends in December. I'm having a really difficult time. I failed the first midterm, the next midterm is Nov 17, with a final mid-December.

I really think Pharmacy is a great fit for me, and I'm very competent in all of the other biomedical science courses and Skills Lab (pharmacy practice skills).

I fear that I won't get through Organic Chemistry, and I worry it will be the only thing that stops me from becoming a Pharmacist? I don't know if that's a crazy thought or not but that's what it feels like. Can anyone offer any advice/suggestions/resources on how you made it through Organic? I just can't seem to find a useful method to study/learn the material. I've never struggled so much before and it's terrifying!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you in a 0+6 program? I would think that every pharmacy program would have Organic as a pre-req. Typically Organic is a tough class for undergrads that weeds out a lot of people. Start out in a class with 80 people, by the end of the semester it's 40, after the second semester it's like 20. Only advice is just to work through practice problems over and over, get to know a few mechanisms and apply them.

I'm in a Canadian school, so I'm doing a BSc in Pharmacy (4 years). Organic Chemistry was not a prereq, and I have not taken it before. Thanks for the advice, I'll just continue reading chapters and attempting practice problems in the book. Seems to be the only way!

Members don't see this ad :)
Get a upperclassman to tutor you. I did that for calc and I got an A.

Organic chemistry was the only class I genuinely enjoyed in my entire college experience. By far the most intellectually challenging course during the 6 years. It serves as a great barrier to the profession as I can't imagine a person with an iq under 115 or so being able to simply outwork others who have the natural brain power.

Organic chemistry was the only class I genuinely enjoyed in my entire college experience. By far the most intellectually challenging course during the 6 years. It serves as a great barrier to the profession as I can't imagine a person with an iq under 115 or so being able to simply outwork others who have the natural brain power.
:eek: You mastermind!

:D

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Salman Khan is a genius and is doing great things in education reform. Check out his section on Orgo, I've used his Pharmacy/Science related videos for some classes my P1 year in Pharmacy School and it greatly helped.

if you cant pass organic chemistry...then you shouldnt go to pharmacy school....there are no jobs as a pharmacist right now anyways....choose a different career path.

Hey everyone,

I'm a first year student in Pharmacy, so far I've had 2 classes. Anatomy, and Pharmacy Law & Ethics. Both were fine, but I've also been in Organic Chemistry since September, but it ends in December. I'm having a really difficult time. I failed the first midterm, the next midterm is Nov 17, with a final mid-December.

I really think Pharmacy is a great fit for me, and I'm very competent in all of the other biomedical science courses and Skills Lab (pharmacy practice skills).

I fear that I won't get through Organic Chemistry, and I worry it will be the only thing that stops me from becoming a Pharmacist? I don't know if that's a crazy thought or not but that's what it feels like. Can anyone offer any advice/suggestions/resources on how you made it through Organic? I just can't seem to find a useful method to study/learn the material. I've never struggled so much before and it's terrifying!

Thanks!

Is there a classmate or an upperclass student who would be willing to take the time to help you?

Is there a chemistry major or a chemistry professor that you know who could help you out?

Members don't see this ad :)
No tips on how to get it. It came natural to me. I will add, there were several students in my class who had to retake it 2 or 3 times. They eventually passed, and went on to be pharmacists. Once you pass Organic, you can rest assured that you can pass the rest of your classes (not that your other classes will be easy, but they won't be any harder than Organic)

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Salman Khan is a genius and is doing great things in education reform. Check out his section on Orgo, I've used his Pharmacy/Science related videos for some classes my P1 year in Pharmacy School and it greatly helped.

Wow, this looks like a fantastic resource. Thank you for linking! :love:

did a lot of people fail ?
i'm sure you'll pass if you put in more time
try studying that day's material as soon as the class is over.
I heard it helps you retain better memory that way.

if it's something you don't understand, ask the professor to explain it for you.

One thing about Organic Chemistry that bugs many students is the fact that you can spend as much time as you want memorizing facts and reactions, but your instructor can change a straight-chain into a ring and all of that memorization can go out the window because "it looks different." While the reaction is the same, the visualization aspect of the molecule would throw students into a tizzy.

I loved the class because it requires applied knowledge and a bit of common sense (common sense in that, if you truly UNDERSTAND the reaction mechanism, you can solve the problem). Therefore, I would giggle with glee when chronic memorizing fiends who would make my life miserable in Biology courses would struggle mightily when it came to writing out reaction mechanisms. #bitterginger

I am still very stunned that Organic Chem was not a prepharmacy but a pharmacy course?

Also had no idea Canada still did the BS Pharmacy degree. So I'm guessin the U.S. is the only one with PharmD. I have a tough time explaining to relatives overseas because it is still B.S. Pharmacy there.

Salman Khan, I listened to an interview from him, I couldn't believe I found a kindred spirit. He hated his time at MIT because lectures were so boring and dry. Felt the same way with duration of my learning.

I am still very stunned that Organic Chem was not a prepharmacy but a pharmacy course?

Also had no idea Canada still did the BS Pharmacy degree. So I'm guessin the U.S. is the only one with PharmD. I have a tough time explaining to relatives overseas because it is still B.S. Pharmacy there.

Perhaps someone from Canada can chime in more knowledgeably than I.

As I understand, the BS Pharm in Canada is like someone getting a baccelors in the States and covering the prereqs, except it's more in-depth and applicable to pharmacy. (In the States, for the schools that require bacchelor degrees, they don't seem to care what you get it in, as long as you cover the prereqs.) Then you'd go on to the PharmD, which is a number of years more study. So instead of general prereqs / unrelated study followed up by a PharmD to train to be a pharmacist, it's a bacchelor degree and a postgrad degree all focused on training to become a pharmacist.

I could be way off base here.

Perhaps someone from Canada can chime in more knowledgeably than I.

As I understand, the BS Pharm in Canada is like someone getting a baccelors in the States and covering the prereqs, except it's more in-depth and applicable to pharmacy. (In the States, for the schools that require bacchelor degrees, they don't seem to care what you get it in, as long as you cover the prereqs.) Then you'd go on to the PharmD, which is a number of years more study. So instead of general prereqs / unrelated study followed up by a PharmD to train to be a pharmacist, it's a bacchelor degree and a postgrad degree all focused on training to become a pharmacist.

I could be way off base here.

Once you finish your four year undergraduate degree (BSc in Pharm) and write the appropriate licensing exam you're considered a RPh. You need at least one year of a general science degree to meet the pre reqs before you can get admitted to this program.