How will my major affect me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raych123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a general science major and am projected to graduate on time this year. I wondering if becoming a biology major would help me a lot to get into medical school. That would require me to take an extra quarter or two... Is it worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Your major doesn't really matter. Hell, I'm a math major.

As long as you do your pre-requisites, and you have a solid GPA, it doesn't matter. There's people on here who were English majors and got in.

Just do your best!

Reactions: 1 users
We don't care about majors or minors, only that you do well.

I am a general science major and am projected to graduate on time this year. I wondering if becoming a biology major would help me a lot to get into medical school. That would require me to take an extra quarter or two... Is it worth it?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What is a general science major

I suppose it's sort of like a college thing; you know, how some have a college of arts and sciences, and a generalist degree is known as a "liberal arts major". Except, in their case, there's a separate college of science, and the general degree is a "general science major".

I suppose it's sort of like a college thing; you know, how some have a college of arts and sciences, and a generalist degree is known as a "liberal arts major". Except, in their case, there's a separate college of science, and the general degree is a "general science major".

Right
So I still take all the premed required classes as part of my major requirements and then some higher level bio classes - (cell and microbiology, anatomy of the vertebrates, genetics,..) computer science class, etc.

Changing the major isn't going to mean much; the only case I'd advocate that you should switch majors is if you were below a 3.4 and you had funding secured for however long you needed for a degree. Such a hypothetical is really unlikely, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Just do well on your pre-req's.

Changing the major isn't going to mean much; the only case I'd advocate that you should switch majors is if you were below a 3.4 and you had funding secured for however long you needed for a degree. Such a hypothetical is really unlikely, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Just do well on your pre-req's.

Thank you! I appreciate everyone's responses!

Your bachelors is negligible. my school's med school admission adviser told me the admission committees have turned Ivy-League-Biology/Chemistry/CompSci-major applicants who've interned at NASA or Google (PRE-INTERVIEW); however, they've accepted a violinist/music major. My advice is don't worry about your discipline; do the Prerequisites - try to fit Biochem because it's practically an unofficial prerequisite - and do a couple of recommended classes like genetics, statistics, microbiology, immunology, etc. Lastly, to reiterate everyone else, work on ECs, too.

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to say that your major does not matter at all....but I think it really depends on the school/interviewer. I know some of my interviewers seemed to want to talk about my major quite a bit and at other interviews it never came up. I really think that picking a more unique major is kind of an advantage. Assuming same GPA, the unique major gives the slight edge because uniqueness is all the rage these days.