How will this affect my residency chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I failed one class and chose to redo M1. I got mostly Honors for preclinical classes after coming back. Step 1 score: 264/99. For clinical years, I honored IM, Surgery, Ped, Psych, and received high pass on Ob/Gyn. Do I have a good chance to be accepted by a competitive university-based Internal Medicine program or is it out of the question?

Members don't see this ad.

I failed one class and chose to redo M1. I got mostly Honors for preclinical classes after coming back. Step 1 score: 264/99. For clinical years, I honored IM, Surgery, Ped, Psych, and received high pass on Ob/Gyn. Do I have a good chance to be accepted by a competitive university-based Internal Medicine program or is it out of the question?

What was the class you failed? Was it 1st or 2nd semester M1?

What do you consider competitive for internal medicine University based (e.g. MGH vs Michigan vs SLU)?

What was the class you failed? Was it 1st or 2nd semester M1?

What do you consider competitive for internal medicine University based (e.g. MGH vs Michigan vs SLU)?

It was micro anatomy/ histology (during 1st semester M1).
I would consider MGH, Michigan, and Baylor to be competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)

It's hard to say. No doubt how your school portrays you in the MSPE will definitely be important - at the same time, there are people with your stats applying to these competitive programs that have had your academic profile without a repeat year. I think the tip-top programs might be a reach. I think doing an away at a place that is receptive to aways and interviewing might be the best option (e.g., UCSF isn't known to be very receptive to the away rotators).

Yes I think you have a good chance at matching.

You have good grades and test scores. I think you have a pretty good shot at landing several interviews at great programs.

Keep everything in perspective. You had a setback, you rebounded, ended up doing very well (seriously, you should be very proud). I would imagine the vast majority of PDs would see that.

This might come up in a few places, so be prepared (but I really think you have little to worry about):

1. Your MSPE.
2. On your ERAS application (it asks why you did not graduate in four years)
3. Interviews
4. Licensure applications

Last edited:
Thank you guys so much for the encouragement. I am going to continue trying my best at the interview and during the 4th year clinical rotations. :)

Also, preclinical grades mean 0, considering your Step 1. If you get AOA then I would say your repeating MS1 makes no difference at all.

Thank you guys so much for the encouragement. I am going to continue trying my best at the interview and during the 4th year clinical rotations. :)

You'll be fine. No one cares about preclinical grades.

Yup, if you did poorly on your Step 1 and your clinicals it would have mattered. But with your grades the 1st year mishap will most likely by overlooked and viewed as an indicator of how much you have grown these past few years