How will we know if we have been ranked?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serimeri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if its possible for some programs to not rank some interviewee's based on a nervous interview etc? I did not like the vibe I got from one of my interviewer's and I just don't know if the program will even rank me considering its a bit out of my league.

They said that they won't communicate with us after the interview much due to NRMP rules and regulations.

Oh well, its not my top choice. But how do you know, or is it okay to just plain out ask the PC, if we will be ranked come in January?

I'm so nervous about not matching eventhough I have 10+ interviews at some not-so-competitive locales. I've sent out thank you e-mails and have not even gotten some responses from some places~~i'm hoping it bc their busy and not because im annoying hehe

I miss med school admission days when you could just get acceptances and choose from them!

I feel very fortunate though, to have gotten interview invitations with my low COMLEX scores.

Members don't see this ad.

Im not an expert, but it would seem really, really bad to contact a program and asked if your ranked. Who knows, maybe they thought you interviewed great, dont give them a reason to second guess you. If your super neurotic and just need to do something,send a nice thank you letter, its socially acceptable and unless you say something crazy it certainly is not going to hurt you.

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering if its possible for some programs to not rank some interviewee's based on a nervous interview etc?

Yes. But I wouldn't worry about it too much. There's absolutely nothing you can do at this point to improve your chances, and there's a lot you can do to worsen it. I would just forget about it, and concentrate on making your remaining interviews count. Make your rank list based on your preference and your preference alone.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys, i think im just super anxious because my stats are not good by any means and their is just so much uncertainty in this process!

I usually did a follow up call to tell my top 3 that were highest on my list and often got feedback then.

I usually did a follow up call to tell my top 3 that were highest on my list and often got feedback then.
I am wondering to ask did you speak directly to the PD?

I did if I could and also spoke with the residents who met with me.
My program had weekly meetings with all involved and we would voice feedback, phone calls we'd received from candidates and would change the ranking each time based on impression and partly on whether they voiced interest.

I did if I could and also spoke with the residents who met with me.
My program had weekly meetings with all involved and we would voice feedback, phone calls we'd received from candidates and would change the ranking each time based on impression and partly on whether they voiced interest.

So for your program, if an applicant said he was going to rank you #1or "high on the list" then he was moved up the rank list?? I thought post-interview communications were discouraged and not taken seriously but I guess each program is different...

They might depending on whether we wanted them. Consider it a positive part of your overall picture. They don't want to rank people high who have little interest.

They might depending on whether we wanted them. Consider it a positive part of your overall picture. They don't want to rank people high who have little interest.
Interesting... I was told not to contact programs at all if I'm not going to rank them #1 because hinting that they are not #1 (even if im ranking them #2 or #3) can possibly hurt me and move me down the rank list.

Moving applicants up a list because they seem interested is a very novice mistake on the part of a program. All it can do is make their match results look better while making it worse.

Moving applicants up a list because they seem interested is a very novice mistake on the part of a program. All it can do is make their match results look better while making it worse.
I agree and I thought (and advised multiple times) not to play these games. It's just frustrating to be told multiple different information....

I will add that applicants who move programs down their list because a program doesn’t seem interested in them is the parallel mistake. All this can do is make you call us and say “I really wanted to get into your program; I just didn’t think you wanted me.” Don’t try and guess what we are thinking. It is up to us how interested we are in you, not your impression of our impression. If both sides just list preferences in order and let the other party make their decisions, things work out well.

I will add that applicants who move programs down their list because a program doesn’t seem interested in them is the parallel mistake. All this can do is make you call us and say “I really wanted to get into your program; I just didn’t think you wanted me.” Don’t try and guess what we are thinking. It is up to us how interested we are in you, not your impression of our impression. If both sides just list preferences in order and let the other party make their decisions, things work out well.

This game is so complicated. Just rank where you wanna go ppl!

Interesting... I was told not to contact programs at all if I'm not going to rank them #1 because hinting that they are not #1 (even if im ranking them #2 or #3) can possibly hurt me and move me down the rank list.

I think this is rather true. You won't/can't/shouldn't know if you have or have not been ranked.

The match system was devised by a Nobel laureate of economics, to favor applicants top choice. It works as well as it can with its explicit goals of promoting fairness, rationing of rare commodities, and allowing applicants to rank their favorite programs the highest regardless of how competitive the program is. You will find out after the program submission deadline,and possibly before the applicant rol submission deadline, whether a specific program has ranked you to match. Best of luck!

Last edited:
The match system was devised by a Nobel laureate of economics, to favor applicants top choice. It works as well as it can with its explicit goals of promoting fairness and allowing applicants to rank their favorite programs the highest regardless of how competitive the program is. You will find out after the program submission deadline and possibly before the applicant rol submission deadline whether a specific program has ranked you to match. Best of luck!

Wrong. They are the same deadline. And nothing obligates a program to reveal that information, ever. Some programs will tell you something. Most will say nothing.

I thought programs submitted their rank list before applicants. Did that change in the last 2 years? You are correct- you may hear from them. I heard from 3 of 10 programs I interviewed at.

I thought programs submitted their rank list before applicants. Did that change in the last 2 years? You are correct- you may hear from them. I heard from 3 of 10 programs I interviewed at.
We usually meet to make them up well before the deadline--but that's because we have a dozen or so people we need to get together, and several dozen applicants to discuss. You just have yourself and your top 3 or 10 or 20 programs to deal with.

Directors have about 5-10 people we can confidently give a wink at depending on the size of the program. The reality is that most programs can reach 50 or so applicants on an average year so if we are not giving you strong signals of approval, it doesn’t mean we don’t like you. It just means that we don’t have a clue as to how this thing will turn out. We don’t keep our cards close to the vest because we like to torcher you with suspense; we just are equally mystified as the applicants are.

Winston Churchill once said that democracy is the worst form of government except for all of the others. Well the match is the worst way to do this except in comparison to all other concepts. Would you really want programs to make you offers on the spot and expect your decision right away? :smack: