PhD/PsyD How will working at a lab with a PI that I would like as a graduate mentor effect my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oddish2020

Doctoral Candidate (PsyD)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just started volunteering at a lab with a PI who I almost certainly know I will apply to work with for a PhD in Clinical. Setting aside my GPA, GRE scores, and previous research, how will this effect my application? Will it effect my application? I don't know anyone in this situation, so it's really hard for me to gauge the consequences of me working in this particular lab.

P.S. I haven't mentioned to him that I want to apply as a grad student to his lab. Since I just started working there, I won't be asking him for a recommendation letter.

Members don't see this ad.

Look at the trend for this particular PI. Are any of his grad students former undergrad RAs? This is not unheard of at all, but it varies from person to person. But let's assume for the moment that this PI is open to the possibility. One advantage is that if you're absolutely amazing then he'll know it, and being a known quantity could work in your favor. The disadvantage is that if you're not amazing there will be no way to cover it up.

At some point you should let him know that you are interested in applying to his lab; now is probably not the time, but it should be well in advance of your application deadline. It would be weird if your application came in and he had no idea that was your intention. Also, if he doesn't think you're a strong candidate, hopefully he would shut that down and spare your time and effort. You might change your mind too after working in the lab for a while. Give it time. There is not an easy answer to your question.