how worth it is it to do research summer before med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowys435

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically got a summer research position this summer but now having second thoughts after hearing the " you'll have no time after med school starts" stories. Did anyone who did research/ work regret it? Did people who took the time off found it worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

6449c9c648c322da7e8fb728311514a3651cb41bff96cc9d6f83f8f91b03044f.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you're starting research at your new medical school that you'd like to continue during your studies, then I don't think it would be very productive or worth it. But this is just my opinion, of course. I plan on taking a bit of time off right before school, but I know of people who wanted to make some extra money and worked right up until orientation.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on your situation. I applied for a research program at the school I am attending in August. Yes, its a good experience, I will meet faculty, maybe get published etc. but I am doing the program honestly to make money precisely so I can have fun. I will be going to school in a "lifestyle" city so every weekend I plan to have a BLAST! I also plan to take a week long cruise right before classes start.

If I didn't do research, I would be literally broke and have to sit at home in my boring hometown doing nothing. Its like spending my summer in Cleveland broke and bored or spending my summer at Cornell Med in the heart of NYC (I don't go to neither but my situation is similar).

If I had some savings to support me through the summer and enough money to travel to Europe or Asia or South America I would do it in a heartbeat.