How would you rank the New York City med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did my postbacc there and have a sibling who went there- the price (both of the undergraduate and the surrounding area) is not worth the product. It seems like a place that parents send their kids to say that they went to private school and not a SUNY. =P

I'm half-joking. I know many bright people at Hofstra, but this weird boasting about being "the ivy league school of long island" and the constant radio/TV commercials make it an easy target.
Wutttttttt I have never heard anyone say Hofstra is an Ivy caliber school...ridiculous

Members don't see this ad.

I did my postbacc there and have a sibling who went there- the price (both of the undergraduate and the surrounding area) is not worth the product. It seems like a place that parents send their kids to say that they went to private school and not a SUNY. =P

I'm half-joking. I know many bright people at Hofstra, but this weird boasting about being "the ivy league school of long island" and the constant radio/TV commercials make it an easy target.
For some reason your quote is saying I made that post, but it definitely was not me...

I think you're looking too much into the exact words I used, New York City. While you're correct NYMC also isn't, almost every pre-med on this thread would consider it to be in NYC. Its right on the outskirts of NYC.

Who said anything about Albany and U of R...?

No it's not, it's at least 18 miles away from anything that any respectable new yorker would call nyc

18 miles is not outskirts, please learn geography thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Members don't see this ad :)
westchester is not upstate!!!!!!!!

I'm just a downtown guy looking for an upstate gal... (But as far north as westchester).

Columbia>Cornell=mount Sinai=nyu>Einstein>stonybrook>nymc>nyit>touro!!!!

Touro doesn't have a 3.6gpa I don't believe.

Hofstra undergraduate is OK. Don't have to be so harsh.

Says the guy who forgot to include Hofstra in his ranking list :claps:

also downstate lol

Alright fair enough. NYMC isn't in NYC (however, I will fight you to the death to claim Westchester is upstate). I think I have a better way to say what I meant: most people that apply to the NYC schools AND SURROUNDING ONES such as SBU and Hofstra TEND to also apply to NYMC.

Granted this doesn't say much since NYMC is one of the most applied to medical schools in the country.

There, we all amigos now...?

Westchester is upstate.
long island is bagels.

Reactions: 5 users
Westchester is not upstate, the only people who say that are the long islanders and the garbage islanders, oh and the people from our unfortunate little neighbor across the Hudson.

And there are trucks!!! GCP way better... But sadly does not have dedicated midtown tunnel :(

Reactions: 1 users
The LIE is a big lie- it goes nowhere. It's just a perpetual parking lot of misery.
ExpresswayTrafficTxt.jpg
5509.jpg

If it isn't traffic, its snow on the LIE

Never. LI and Staten Island make my ears bleed. And you def know why.

Hate is a strong strong word. That said, I hate pages. Ugh ugh ugh ugh.

I think the rankings given in the first post are about right. But by the time you will have finished medical school you will have realized that what you get out of medical school (assuming USMD) is much more dependent on you than your school. Sure the SUNYs don't have much research, but there are still options for those who really fight for it. I got into a lower ranked school (despite good stats), and looking back, I realize things could not have worked out better.

how can you say hofstra is equal to anyone? i don't think they've even graduated a single person yet

I'll throw this in there, a swoll bro in my Biodiversity Lab Senior Year decided NOT to go to NYMC because their Gym wasn't up to par.

?????
haha i actually interviewed there and the gym does suck.

Oh em gee, you guys TOTALLY don't know what state I'm a resident of :whistle:

My personal ranking:
1. Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
2. Weill Cornell Medical College
3. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
4. New York University School of Medicine
5. Albert Einstein College of Medicine at Yeshiva University
6. Hofstra University North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
7. New York Medical College
8. Stony Brook University School of Medicine
9. SUNY Downstate College of Medicine

I'm mainly interested in #s 5-9. How do those schools rank amongst one another? I've heard pros/cons about so many of them, I'd like to hear your opinions too.
Curious how you would throw in Albany and Upstate into your ranking.

What are the parameters for the ranking?

I put:
1) Stony and Downstate 1st (love Downstate's location)
2) Einstein
3) Cornell and Sinai
4) Hofstra
5) NYMC

I don't know where I would put NYU and Columbia because I would consider them for the prestige, but I think would be unhappy at either of them.

Edit: NYMC also records their lectures, I believe, and they are building a new gym

Last edited:
You guys do realize Stony Brook is at least an hour and a half from the city by train... and is nestled deep within the suburbs of Suffolk County. To consider it in the same geographical vicinity is really misleading to anyone who isn't familiar with the area. You will be sorely disappointed if you go there thinking it's "practically NYC area."

You guys do realize Stony Brook is at least an hour and a half from the city by train... and is nestled deep within the suburbs of Suffolk County. To consider it in the same geographical vicinity is really misleading to anyone who isn't familiar with the area. You will be sorely disappointed if you go there thinking it's "practically NYC area."
SBU Med Center is where I came into existence, so I know exactly where it is, hahaha. It was included on the OP's list and is technically part of the NY metropolitan area, so we all went with it

Edit: But, yes, it isn't a NYC school

Last edited:
Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but why has no one included Upstate in this discussion? I'm having some real trouble deciding if I like Upstate or Downstate more, and for what reasons. Anyone have any input on upstate/downstate students they've met?

Edit: Title is NYC med schools.. got it. But I'd still value some opinions :rolleyes:

Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but why has no one included Upstate in this discussion? I'm having some real trouble deciding if I like Upstate or Downstate more, and for what reasons. Anyone have any input on upstate/downstate students they've met?

Edit: Title is NYC med schools.. got it. But I'd still value some opinions :rolleyes:
I am more of a city guy, but I think Upstate is a way better program. Nicer facilities, faculty, and educational environment. One downside is Syracuse :(

When I interviewed at downstate, the thing I remember most was a framed picture of biggie smalls in a crown on the wall. It's expensive to live in new york city.
The students at upstate are very nice, it seemed like their classes had a lot of camaraderie both within their class and between classes. Syracuse is a smaller city, it might make a difference in your happiness especially if you don't have a support system

I am more of a city guy, but I think Upstate is a way better program. Nicer facilities, faculty, and educational environment. One downside is Syracuse :(

Me too.. Match list on Downstate centers around Manhattan (which is where I want to end up), otherwise I liked the program at Upstate better.

When I interviewed at downstate, the thing I remember most was a framed picture of biggie smalls in a crown on the wall. It's expensive to live in new york city.
The students at upstate are very nice, it seemed like their classes had a lot of camaraderie both within their class and between classes. Syracuse is a smaller city, it might make a difference in your happiness especially if you don't have a support system

I'm from Long Island so Syracuse isn't that far but it's not close. I agree I got the same sense of camaraderie when I visited and actually liked the city more than Flatbush. I'm just afraid that I'm basing my judgments off of aesthetics and superficial qualities rather than program strength. :(

Yeah, I wouldn't include Hofstra or Stony Brook in the discussion either...

But if I was to choose, Downstate > Upstate, mostly for clinical experience and especially if you want to stay in New York long term. My friends at Upstate seemed very happy as well, but for me, the clinical opportunities mattered more. Also the Downstate students were the chillest I met on my interviews. Upstate has one of the rare rural med programs though.

I grew up not so far from Syracuse and went to school nearby, it's fine, but not a lot going on there. The biggest selling point socially for me was going to Syracuse basketball games (not this year though).

Yeah, I wouldn't include Hofstra or Stony Brook in the discussion either...

But if I was to choose, Downstate > Upstate, mostly for clinical experience and especially if you want to stay in New York long term. My friends at Upstate seemed very happy as well, but for me, the clinical opportunities mattered more. Also the Downstate students were the chillest I met on my interviews. Upstate has one of the rare rural med programs though.

I grew up not so far from Syracuse and went to school nearby, it's fine, but not a lot going on there. The biggest selling point socially for me was going to Syracuse basketball games (not this year though).

Hofstra is right on the border of queens though

Hofstra is right on the border of queens though
Isn't the med school mostly on the main campus? I don't consider of Hempstead as the border of Queens, it's kind of right in the center of Nassau County. NS-LIJ is in Queens I guess.

Isn't the med school mostly on the main campus? I don't consider of Hempstead as the border of Queens, it's kind of right in the center of Nassau County. NS-LIJ is in Queens I guess.

Oh I've only been to nslij, I thought their medical school was right there