How would you rank them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikecwru

M.D. = Massive Debt
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are some programs I've interviewed at, in no particular order, just wanting to get an idea how you'd rank them based of preferences, gut feelings, etc. I have my own order, just interested on your thoughts.

Vanderbilt
UT Southwestern
MetroHealth
St. Vincent's
U of Michigan
Ohio State
U of Maryland
Christiana Care

Please let me know.

mike

Members don't see this ad.

Michigan
Metrohealth
Christiana
OSU

(Haven't interviewed at St. Vincent's yet - but likely will come in after OSU)

I didn't apply to those other places so they would rank below for me :) .

Michigan had a really nice ED, very strong off service rotations, a state of the art computer system, an active aeromedical program, and Ann Arbor seemed like a pretty cool town. (This is saying a lot as I went to undergrad at Ohio State)

The other three are really close IMO. What all four do (Christiana a little less than the others) is give the senior residents good supervisory experience, teaching of interns and medstudents. Why I think Metro is probably second on this list for me is the aeromedical program and the fact that you can actually moonlight in the dept (pre-license) precepting medical students.

I am sure you know a ton about that program though - given your name.

The question you didn't ask but I'll answer anyway...
I would put Cincinnati above any of those (personally). Say what you want about four year programs but I feel going to such a long standing program, with its reputation will open the most future doors for me. I think it has everything I mentioned above (very good supervisory experience - to be expected in a 4 year program), very strong aeromedical program, strong trauma, very good volume, excellent attendings. (all of the above mentioned have this too - well Christiana and OSU do not have aeromedical)

The bottom line is those places (along with maybe Charity and UMass) will be my top 5-6 choices and I feel if I end up in any of those (and the vibe I get is that I probably will, since I haven't heard of too many people who end up farther down on their ROL) I will be going to a superb program and will be very happy come march.

Maybe in a couple of weeks we can retool this idea as a "Your ROL and why thread"

I'm curious to your thoughts on Vanderbilt and UT Southwestern. I liked UT Southwestern for some of the reasons you mentioned regarding other programs.

I do like Michigan alot. The only con (other than a 3 vs 4 year argument) is that the residents seemed a little stuffy compared to other programs. I felt like I was interviewing for an ivy league internal med program.

St. Vincent's has a very good helicopter/EMS program and they are very hands on, as compared to some other places, which have very nice EDs but I was concerned with things like "Yeah, we do a good 10 chest tubes by the time we FINISH RESIDENCY."
(at this other place, not St Vs)

Metro is a great program looking back retrospectively. They're building a new ED which we would have significant time in (2/3s residency) with away construction (so it's not bothering you during internship). The helicopter program is great and it's extremely busy. Cleveland doesn't suck as much as Cincinatti. :) The two cons to Cleveland is that the weather sucks and you will work very hard for the end result. The geography changes the pathology alot, although it's probably not a make-or-break thing. I mean, you won't be seeing snake bites and shark attacks in Cleveland. I posted a lengthy review of Metro somewhere else in the EM forum.

Let's throw a few other places in the mix. The FL + LA programs. I went to both FL programs this week and liked both of them. Orlando seems great. Thoughts? I am going to the two LA programs next week. Unfortunately, won't have a lot of time to check out New Orleans and it will be my first time there, so I have no idea what the cool things are.

Originally posted by shaft
Michigan
Metrohealth
Christiana
OSU

(Haven't interviewed at St. Vincent's yet - but likely will come in after OSU)

I didn't apply to those other places so they would rank below for me :) .

Michigan had a really nice ED, very strong off service rotations, a state of the art computer system, an active aeromedical program, and Ann Arbor seemed like a pretty cool town. (This is saying a lot as I went to undergrad at Ohio State)

The other three are really close IMO. What all four do (Christiana a little less than the others) is give the senior residents good supervisory experience, teaching of interns and medstudents. Why I think Metro is probably second on this list for me is the aeromedical program and the fact that you can actually moonlight in the dept (pre-license) precepting medical students.

I am sure you know a ton about that program though - given your name.

The question you didn't ask but I'll answer anyway...
I would put Cincinnati above any of those (personally). Say what you want about four year programs but I feel going to such a long standing program, with its reputation will open the most future doors for me. I think it has everything I mentioned above (very good supervisory experience - to be expected in a 4 year program), very strong aeromedical program, strong trauma, very good volume, excellent attendings. (all of the above mentioned have this too - well Christiana and OSU do not have aeromedical)

The bottom line is those places (along with maybe Charity and UMass) will be my top 5-6 choices and I feel if I end up in any of those (and the vibe I get is that I probably will, since I haven't heard of too many people who end up farther down on their ROL) I will be going to a superb program and will be very happy come march.

Maybe in a couple of weeks we can retool this idea as a "Your ROL and why thread"

MikeCWRU-
I am trying to remember things i have heard about Orlando... I have heard a few things on tehn interview trail (and taklign with attendings).

First off, I didnt' apply to Orlando because they are notoriously DO UN-friendly... so take what i say with a grain of salt because I"m sure its somehow biased.

I talked with one attending who finished a 4 yr EM residency this past June, and he worked with one recent grad from Orlando, and he said he did nto feel comfortable signing out patients to/from this attending, as he felt he was far inferior to any other colleague he ever worked with...

I THINK what I have heard on the interview trail that the program is pretty cush... but I am trying to tickle the neurons that said that and I"m not coming up with much... so I dunno.

Have you tried scutwork?

Oh I agree with mcwru about Metrohealth... i think its a very solid program with a lot of aero stuff (if you're into that), but you will work hard... but you'll know your $hit when its done. Good pathology, very busy.

Q