How would you rank these programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TUGM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance for this post… I just cannot figure out how to rank these programs, and rank list deadline is coming up in several weeks. I know it's a personal issue, but I'm just curious I suppose. Any rationale your provide may help, too! The programs are: University of Minnesota, UT-Houston, Case Western Reserve University, Baylor College of Medicine, University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, University of South Florida, Medical College of Wisconsin, University of Iowa, Barrow Neurological Institute, and St. Louis University.

I am interested in pursuing a career in stroke, NCC, and/or intervention… hopefully all 3. I would, however, appreciate the best clinical training in all departments.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I only interviewed at Baylor. Very complete program...seems like you learn on the floor but still have a good amount of didactics. Lots of IMG's though.
Houston is quite warm.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I interviewed at baylor as well. I thought Houston was OKAY.... although the weather is definitely a selling point.

I think the program is solid, with all specialties represented. The program does not give me the impression of being a workhorse, as had been mentioned on this site. I enjoyed the dinner; however, the tour was extremely long and left a lot to be desired. What's the point of a long tour if the hospital's aesthetic value is mediocre? The attendings, PD, ancillary staff, and residents were very nice, but I agree with drzing... there were a disproportionate number of IMG represented in the neuro program which honestly threw me off a bit. Does anyone have any input about why a program of Baylor's caliber has such a large number of IMG?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't go everywhere on that list, though if you want to do stroke or NCC, both Miami and Case are outstanding for that. Miami obviously has Dr. Sacco and the NOMAS publication factory, as well as a neurointerventional group with a strong neurology presence. Case has Dr. Furlan and a lot of stroke research as well, and I thought their NCC people were great. Both institutions are philosophically aggressive in the clinical setting with tPA and endovascular procedures.

I didn't interview there, but I heard Miami lost a ton of money recently and things were not going to be looking so great for them in the next few years (read: people are looking to leave). It was once the hot place to go, but some of their sources dried up and they arent as well off as they were.

I didn't interview there, but I heard Miami lost a ton of money recently and things were not going to be looking so great for them in the next few years (read: people are looking to leave). It was once the hot place to go, but some of their sources dried up and they arent as well off as they were.

I haven't heard that, but Jackson just got a huge government check so the hospital at least is stable.

I asked Dr. Sacco and some other faculty about this since Miami Dade County is poor as ****. As Thama mentioned, they received something like $800,000,000 for renovating JMH... which is very much needed, IMHO. The hospital system as of now is pretty stable, and they treat their residents well... by far the best benefits package I have seen on the interview trail.

Anyone have any opinions or insight into UT-Houston (esp compared to Baylor and Methodist)? I believe Dr. Grotta is stepping down as chair to complete his mobile stroke unit project.